Welcome to Gaia! ::

Ferocious Pumpkin

I gave up on clarinet due to tooth pain.. The transition is a little overwhelming. Actually, it's really confusing. Switching from woodwind to brass was easy, but this.... Does anyone have any tips that would make this transition easier?

Lupine Lunatic

Your switching from a wind instrument to a string? Why worry? What kind of guitar?
I work at a music shop so hey XD

Ferocious Pumpkin

MishkaChaos
Your switching from a wind instrument to a string? Why worry? What kind of guitar?

Hey xD I have an acoustic guitar. I think I've figured out how to read chord charts... mostly. I still can't figure out why some numbers are circles and some are diamonds.

I tried picking an easy song as many have suggested, but omg I can't even read the music let alone try to play it! I think I have the basic idea of how to read tabs. But without the rhythm along with it I'm screwed until I can fix my speakers (they died this morning).

Lupine Lunatic

Sebvonna
MishkaChaos

Hey xD I have an acoustic guitar. I think I've figured out how to read chord charts... mostly. I still can't figure out why some numbers are circles and some are diamonds.

I tried picking an easy song as many have suggested, but omg I can't even read the music let alone try to play it! I think I have the basic idea of how to read tabs. But without the rhythm along with it I'm screwed until I can fix my speakers (they died this morning).

Wow your testing my knowledge here. Uhm by diamond you mean tablature? And numbers ...... Yeah your confusing the guy that works with them. I'm a finger picker. I just let it go naturally while my blind friend learns to play while listening. I don't like reading notes and chords and stuff. XD

Ferocious Pumpkin

MishkaChaos

Wow your testing my knowledge here. Uhm by diamond you mean tablature? And numbers ...... Yeah your confusing the guy that works with them. I'm a finger picker. I just let it go naturally while my blind friend learns to play while listening. I don't like reading notes and chords and stuff. XD

And that's why I'm having a problem switching from one or the other. I know how to read music classically. I'm used to having a conductor and a sheet of paper tell me what to do. Vague instructions just don't fly with me. So I have to adjust. And it's haaaard

Lupine Lunatic

Sebvonna
if its hard just start with the basic instructions. I was hoping you had a problem with the guitar itself. I'm good with frets and warping and finding the right guitar for people. You are humidifying your guitar right? Acoustics are more susceptibile to warping or cracking in dry climates.

Lupine Lunatic

http://i1271.photobucket.com/albums/jj627/mishkachaos/7A54F91B-C729-4DC3-93DF-9696569E93B2_zps61xy9cwi.jpg
Is this like what your talking about? The notes are tablature on this
Just learn major and minor barre chords (it's 2 fingerings to remember for all of them) and go from there.

Invisible Prophet

9,050 Points
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Bunny Hunter 100
Oh, man... You've got your hands full, here. Clarinet and guitar are such different instruments. When you're switching form clarinet to another wind instrument, even brass, you're at least using the same concepts of breathing/phrasing and tone. Working with a stringed instrument is a whole other story! Instead of applying the same concepts it's really like you're getting started learning a whole other instrument... At least you can read music already? Lol. I think my advice would be to just practice A LOT. Get used to having the instrument in your hands and definitely practice chord transitions and getting used to reading the charts. If you're playing from tabs, you probably need to get used to that, too, but if you're playing from sheet music, that's not too different from any other instrument. ^^ Good luck to you!

Ferocious Pumpkin

Vampire State Building
Just learn major and minor barre chords (it's 2 fingerings to remember for all of them) and go from there.

Snow My /gosh
Oh, man... You've got your hands full, here. Clarinet and guitar are such different instruments. When you're switching form clarinet to another wind instrument, even brass, you're at least using the same concepts of breathing/phrasing and tone. Working with a stringed instrument is a whole other story! Instead of applying the same concepts it's really like you're getting started learning a whole other instrument... At least you can read music already? Lol. I think my advice would be to just practice A LOT. Get used to having the instrument in your hands and definitely practice chord transitions and getting used to reading the charts. If you're playing from tabs, you probably need to get used to that, too, but if you're playing from sheet music, that's not too different from any other instrument. ^^ Good luck to you!

Thanks, both of you. I get frustrated at how different these to instruments are, that I can't even figure where to start!

Ferocious Pumpkin

MishkaChaos
http://i1271.photobucket.com/albums/jj627/mishkachaos/7A54F91B-C729-4DC3-93DF-9696569E93B2_zps61xy9cwi.jpg
Is this like what your talking about? The notes are tablature on this

I've seen tablature written a few different ways, but not like that eek

EDIT:
Actually, it's similar to what I've seen on the internet, it's just more detailed than what I've been finding. I like it!
Everyone plays guitar. You should take up the hurdy gurdy. Or accordian. Or sitar.

Ferocious Pumpkin

knightofthe21stcentury
Everyone plays guitar. You should take up the hurdy gurdy. Or accordian. Or sitar.

The guitar is a hand-me-down. It's either that or nothing until my financial situation improves. Besides, who says once I learn guitar that I'll only want to play guitar? My dream string instrument is the guzheng. Although teaching myself to play a Chinese instrument might be painful...
Sebvonna
knightofthe21stcentury

The guitar is a hand-me-down. It's either that or nothing until my financial situation improves. Besides, who says once I learn guitar that I'll only want to play guitar? My dream string instrument is the guzheng. Although teaching myself to play a Chinese instrument might be painful...

Oh I love the guzeng heart
But yeah guitar is fun, I play guitar too I was just messing razz
Get a book...that actually teaches you music... emotion_eyebrow

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out