Welcome to Gaia! ::

Do professionals start off by quitting school so they can devote themselves to the music? Or just make time for it all? my friends and i need to know >_< what do u think?
if you love music, youre going to pursue it no matter what...meaning you will make time no matter the sacrifice......as for the quitting school....well, i wouldnt recommend it...
Starting a band is not difficult at all. Anyone can start a band... take me for example. I am in several bands. 3nodding
Are you kidding? Look, there is no set rule what you need to do, but quitting school is a major mistake. And don't think you're just gonna play one gig or something and get a million dollar deal. You have to devote your time to music, but not all of it. If you never become a famous band, then you won't have a degree to back you up - think about that.
Its really not hard if you have friends which appreciate music as much as you do...
I think you should follow your heart, but I hate to say it, but u may never not make it big, and u wont have a diploma to get a good job. U dont need to listen me....but im just giving u a reality check. I am a huge music fan....but i think ur band should rock on and follow ur dreams...and HOPEFULLY make it big!! biggrin
Don't quit school. There's plenty of time outside of it to devote to your music. Just find people around that can play an instrument and like the same kind of music as you, start writing songs or covering others, and boom! You have a band. I didn't even know the two people who are now my bassist and lead guitarist. As I said, just find people who can play and live around you and you've got the building blocks you need to make one. School is actually a good place to recruit people. 3nodding
If you're really musically talented (in multiple ways) then you don't necessarily need to bother with college. It's always good to at least finish high school though, or take the CHSPE if you're in California.

If you have time/money for it, though, a college degree can help you in the future. Even if it's something not so useful like a degree in music. If you apply for a job, be it even something like.. some sort of office job or something where your music degree is irrelevant, just the fact that you went to college and got a degree will look good on your resume.
The question though is, is the time and money you spend getting said degree going to be worth how much it helps you in the future? I haven't figured that out.
They're all totally right. Stay in school. I'm going to college FOR music. I'm going to do a double major in Music Theory and in Guitar Performance. If you love music that much, go to college for it. A band should start as a past time so you can see if it's right for you. I'm not gonna lie. I've been in my band for more than 6 years. We're just NOW getting our break. After six years, we're just now starting to break into the underground scene and we're recording in August. All of us have day jobs and most of us are still in HS (although two of us are seniors). Find people you like to hang out with. People you get along with. Making music can be a blast... but sometimes it gets stressful and it does get hard sometimes if you're serious about it. You really need to make sure that it's what you want to do.
Yeah, quitting school is a no-no. Just make time for it; particularily if you haven't started the band yet and you don't even know if you're serious or if it's going to work out. Sacrifice for the art, maybe, but not the rest of your life.
You need to have a backup plan. College let's you have one, otherwise you might end up as a 30 year old working for $10 an hour at a guitar store with no way out.

Your closest friends and family might think you're great, but that doesn't count for shiat in the real world.

There is no such thing as a million dollar deal. That million, or more likely $100,000, is a LOAN. It's money you have to PAY BACK to the record companies through CD sales.

Professionals start off by learning their instruments, writting great songs, touring touring and touring, and working HARD. Part of working hard means doing it all and still pursuing your education.

You don't start off by dropping out. That's just stupid. I can understand if someone drops out if it's to pursue something big, but by that point you would already have been going at it for years.
I quit school when I was seven... not to join a band, but it helped. I've been in three bands with "homeschoolers", and I'm not completely stupid... I think... am I stupid??? Um... but yeah, they're right... if the band doesn't work out, it might help to have an education. Of course, I don't think the school system gives anyone a very good education, but I'm weird... don't listen to me...
LizabetBazore
I quit school when I was seven... not to join a band, but it helped. I've been in three bands with "homeschoolers", and I'm not completely stupid... I think... am I stupid??? Um... but yeah, they're right... if the band doesn't work out, it might help to have an education. Of course, I don't think the school system gives anyone a very good education, but I'm weird... don't listen to me...

I'm assuming you meant 17 and not 7 without the 1.

You're saying that highschool doesn't give you a very good education, and you would be right.

Education comes from life experience and from higher learning such as post-secondary education.

Highschool prepares you to work at McDonalds.

But that little piece of paper is very important.

Most things that you'll want to do later in life in terms of jobs and pursuing your education will REQUIRE that you have at least your highschool diploma.
if you're starting a band dont quit school (no matter how much it sucks) unless ur band starts to go big at least graduate highschool so you have something to fall back on.
Yeap and always get feedback. It's good to know what people think after a show. Try jamming studios with a few friends for a bit .. then maybe try school .. the scale grows each time.

Good Luck

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces