Welcome to Gaia! ::

right back in the mainstream and consistantly chart mid to high in the billboards i'd say it'd have to be this band:

[outstanding live show it really is.]

it showcases most the bands shining points in their output as well as their prowess in how to entertain a crowd using just catchy licks with outstanding drumming and off kilter [i guess] vocal styles.

regardless if you dont like these guys or are over em or whatever it is you dont like you do have to admit these guys have at least made their career as interesting as a rock and roll band can.

i can only think of two other acts/artist types that have had just as or better careers than this one and that'd be zappa or beefheart.

whats your opinion about this band [to those who give a s**t either way that is] and whether or not they has the gusto or whatever to chart in todays mainstream outlets.

i mean i think someone like universal or sony could offer these guys a deal to tour and album and the band would be able to do it and do it moderately well for the demographic it was aimed at more so than they already are being on a smaller record company.

discuss and dont be dickheads.

you hear me?

dont be a ******** dickhead.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/World-Famous-MELVAN-MELVINS-Tour-Van-with-Artwork-by-Kurt-Cobain-NIRVANA-/150771070206?pt=Art_Drawings&hash=item231aa7f4fe
This band has zero mainstream appeal. The whole "we knew Kurt Cobain" thing would only take them so far.

Rainbow Shopper

6,350 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Conversationalist 100
What Billboard charts are we talking about now? Not my Billboard charts.

Beloved Friend

7,450 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Mark Twain 100
Eh

Don't get me wrong Melvins are pretty cool, but they're not the type of band that would get mainstream success, ever
oh look 3 out of four people who posted have japanese pop music in their signitures and aparently dont know what "the band would be able to do it and do it moderately well for the demographic it was aimed at " means ala mainstream rock and metal charts.

i think if they were hand enough money and a decent enough contract they could make an album that would net them a mid to high level charting in the billboard rock and metal charts if whoever gave them the record deal actually pulled their head from their a** enough to give these guys attention on whatever derpy teenage white/mexican watch/listen to for entertainment.

now, why is it that you people dont seem to think this could happen again?

oh and two of you can keep the snide bullshit to yourself in replying because im looking for an educated response not the same old snicker snicker scoff scoff hamhanded bullshit thats made me not want to post in this sub for a while now.
BEAR WITH TRUCKER HAT
http://www.ebay.com/itm/World-Famous-MELVAN-MELVINS-Tour-Van-with-Artwork-by-Kurt-Cobain-NIRVANA-/150771070206?pt=Art_Drawings&hash=item231aa7f4fe

so who ended up selling that again?

Rainbow Shopper

6,350 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Conversationalist 100
Could it do well in its demographic? Sure, but that doesn't mean the demographic is very large. Performing moderately well on Billboard's rock charts doesn't really mean anything to me in terms of mainstream success. It's a tertiary chart to make flops feel better about themselves. The Hot 100 and the Top 200 are really the only relevant charts and that's not a snide comment. That's a fact.
Ustareth Merope Riddle
Could it do well in its demographic? Sure, but that doesn't mean the demographic is very large. Performing moderately well on Billboard's rock charts doesn't really mean anything to me in terms of mainstream success. It's a tertiary chart to make flops feel better about themselves. The Hot 100 and the Top 200 are really the only relevant charts and that's not a snide comment. That's a fact.

they could chart mid level both the hot 100 or the top 200 if they wanted to and were given the tour resources and were told to make a catchy album.

the band has the whole package aside from being video friendly and even then with enough finance that could be gotten around as well.

also im sorry but the demographic for white kids and mexiacan kids is pretty huge.

Quotable Prophet

5,700 Points
  • Hive Mind 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Member 100
Considering there are already mainstream rock/metal fans who at least know about them, I think they definitely could.

Rainbow Shopper

6,350 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Conversationalist 100
HARRY YOU BEAST UNHAND ME
Ustareth Merope Riddle

they could chart mid level both the hot 100 or the top 200 if they wanted to and were given the tour resources and were told to make a catchy album.

the band has the whole package aside from being video friendly and even then with enough finance that could be gotten around as well.

also im sorry but the demographic for white kids and mexiacan kids is pretty huge.

I doubt they would ever have a single to get enough radio airplay for the Hot 100. The Top 200 is possible, but that just depends on what your definition of "mainstream" is. Charting below the Top 50 is not a mainstream success to me, especially with the current state of sales.

This band has a strong factor going against them right now: rock music just isn't "trendy" right now and people are less interested in full albums. They want the latest single. Look at the ratio of digital singles sold to albums sold on all formats. Sure, you get exceptions with people like Adele selling s**t tons of albums. It seems people only want to buy albums from "real" artists. Even then, the rock that sells the most comes from the legends and established bands.

This isn't 2005 anymore where scene, powerpop, and (I guess?) rapcore ruled the airwaves. Where are bands like MCR, Fall Out Boy, Evanescence, and Paramore now? They rely on front-loaded sales from their core fanbases to give them a presence on Billboard's Top 200 for a week, then they drop like a rock, and their singles get no recognition on any important charts. What makes you think The Melvins can do better than rock-oriented bands who have a more accessible sound than them?
Ustareth Merope Riddle
Ustareth Merope Riddle

I doubt they would ever have a single to get enough radio airplay for the Hot 100. The Top 200 is possible, but that just depends on what your definition of "mainstream" is. Charting below the Top 50 is not a mainstream success to me, especially with the current state of sales.

This band has a strong factor going against them right now: rock music just isn't "trendy" right now and people are less interested in full albums. They want the latest single. Look at the ratio of digital singles sold to albums sold on all formats. Sure, you get exceptions with people like Adele selling s**t tons of albums. It seems people only want to buy albums from "real" artists. Even then, the rock that sells the most comes from the legends and established bands.

This isn't 2005 anymore where scene, powerpop, and (I guess?) rapcore ruled the airwaves. Where are bands like MCR, Fall Out Boy, Evanescence, and Paramore now? They rely on front-loaded sales from their core fanbases to give them a presence on Billboard's Top 200 for a week, then they drop like a rock, and their singles get no recognition on any important charts. What makes you think The Melvins can do better than rock-oriented bands who have a more accessible sound than them?

because they are better song writers and have a s**t ton more talent than the bands they'd be going against.

and this band has the ability if it wanted to to net a bunch of fans if they were to get the attention.

and you cant say rock bands cant sell if the bands like the black keys are charting and selling right now.

Rainbow Shopper

6,350 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Conversationalist 100
Ustareth Merope Riddle
Ustareth Merope Riddle

because they are better song writers and have a s**t ton more talent than the bands they'd be going against.

and this band has the ability if it wanted to to net a bunch of fans if they were to get the attention.

and you cant say rock bands cant sell if the bands like the black keys are charting and selling right now.

This is the mainstream we're talking about. When has better songwriting or more talent ever equated to success? At the end of the day it's going to boil down to marketability. They'll cater to their niche, but I don't see them catering to "my people", and that's what I consider to be the real mainstream.

I didn't say rock bands could never sell. They do still sell, but look at how much they sell in comparison to the people I listen to. Look at how many more pop-oriented singers and bands dominate the charts than rock bands. A lot of upbeat songs are dominating the charts and I would kill to have a melodramatic ballad be #1 again.
Ustareth Merope Riddle
Ustareth Merope Riddle
Ustareth Merope Riddle

This is the mainstream we're talking about. When has better songwriting or more talent ever equated to success? At the end of the day it's going to boil down to marketability. They'll cater to their niche, but I don't see them catering to "my people", and that's what I consider to be the real mainstream.

I didn't say rock bands could never sell. They do still sell, but look at how much they sell in comparison to the people I listen to. Look at how many more pop-oriented singers and bands dominate the charts than rock bands. A lot of upbeat songs are dominating the charts and I would kill to have a melodramatic ballad be #1 again.

the marketablity bit is what i've been pressing on the most.

if they were heavily marketed people would eat them up and they have the talent to make an album that could garner the attention,it may not an album i may like but it would still be good enough for the pap eating people that like guitar music.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff