Welcome to Gaia! ::

Tangled Up In Blue
Jen MooCows

... OH i get it... but you didnt answer: if you dont know "Jim" then how do you know "Cathy"?

Let's say that you went to school with Cathy, OK? What's it matter? You're taking this a bit to literally.

i'm confused how could you go to school with "cathy"
thats like saying "Let's say that you went to school with God, OK?"
if shes a saint.. thats like praying or "asking" another person for help and not God..
Jen MooCows
if shes a saint.. thats like praying or "asking" another person for help and not God..

Cathy does not represent God. Jim represents God. Cathy is supposed to be a saint. The idea is that you are not as close to God as you could be (hence the emphasis on preists to forgive sins; they are free-er from sin and thus closer to God) and saints are even closer than priests. Thus you ask a saint to plead your case for God, since you cannot adress him directly.
Jen MooCows
Tangled Up In Blue
Jen MooCows
so catholics ask to do illigal stuff? (legally lock your illegal alien workers in your retail outlet overnight so they can get more work done) thats interesting.. and if you dont know "Jim" then how do you know "Cathy"?

stressed Metaphor, girl! Metahphor! No they don't ask for illegal stuff! It's just supposed to be illustrative!

The bit about illegal aliens was a dig at Wal-Mart.

... OH i get it... but you didnt answer: if you dont know "Jim" then how do you know "Cathy"?

I don't know President Bush, but I know one of his speech writers. It's the same thing here. Only thing is, God is omniscient, so it's not like talking to Peter is actually going to make Him listen any more than He does.
Tangled Up In Blue
Jen MooCows

Cathy does not represent God. Jim represents God. Cathy is supposed to be a saint. The idea is that you are not as close to God as you could be (hence the emphasis on preists to forgive sins; they are free-er from sin and thus closer to God) and saints are even closer than priests. Thus you ask a saint to plead your case for God, since you cannot adress him directly.

hum.. ok so how can a human (priest) be closer to God? they are just humans.. and they are not "super natural " that they have the power to forgive your sins.. only God does...
And i know "Cathy" isnt God... but how do you know "Cathy"? and why should "Cathy" care about your sins? I mean God loves everyone.. but i think he frowns apun people praying to his so called "best friendS" and not him.. its like me telling your best friend you did great on a play or something and not to you..
Now I am even more confused...
Jen MooCows
hum.. ok so how can a human (priest) be closer to God? they are just humans.. and they are not "super natural " that they have the power to forgive your sins.. only God does...
And i know "Cathy" isnt God... but how do you know "Cathy"? and why should "Cathy" care about your sins? I mean God loves everyone.. but i think he frowns apun people praying to his so called "best friendS" and not him.. its like me telling your best friend you did great on a play or something and not to you..

Priests are more devoted to God and hypothetically free-er of sin. And let's take this back to a theological argument. I'm getting tired of talking about Cathy and Jim. They're just examples. You're taking them too literally. Saints talk to God for you because you cannot, at least not directly.
SilverSkyDragon
Jen MooCows
Tangled Up In Blue
Jen MooCows
so catholics ask to do illigal stuff? (legally lock your illegal alien workers in your retail outlet overnight so they can get more work done) thats interesting.. and if you dont know "Jim" then how do you know "Cathy"?

stressed Metaphor, girl! Metahphor! No they don't ask for illegal stuff! It's just supposed to be illustrative!

The bit about illegal aliens was a dig at Wal-Mart.

I don't know President Bush, but I know one of his speech writers. It's the same thing here. Only thing is, God is omniscient, so it's not like talking to Peter is actually going to make Him listen any more than He does.

but why would "peter" care? i mean its like peter doesnt have to know whats going on in your life .. God sees.. so if you want forgivness you ask him or if you want something you ask him.. president bush knows nothing about you or your life.. God would deide if you really need what you want...
PKT
Now I am even more confused...

join the club
Tangled Up In Blue
Jen MooCows

Priests are more devoted to God and hypothetically free-er of sin. And let's take this back to a theological argument. I'm getting tired of talking about Cathy and Jim. They're just examples. You're taking them too literally. Saints talk to God for you because you cannot, at least not directly.

So catholics believe you cannot talk to God Directly and protestant believe you can.. i get it now ^_^
Jen MooCows
So catholics believe you cannot talk to God Directly and protestant believe you can.. i get it now ^_^

Bingo. That was one of the points that Martin Luther adressed in his 95 theses.
Tangled Up In Blue
Jen MooCows

Bingo. That was one of the points that Martin Luther adressed in his 95 theses.

yeah.. so i was kinda right when i said catlics pray to saints... KINDA right... right?
Jen MooCows
yeah.. so i was kinda right when i said catlics pray to saints... KINDA right... right?

Kind of, but not in the way that you implied. It isn't idololtry because they do not pray to saints as gods, but rather as intermediaries between them and God.
Tangled Up In Blue
Jen MooCows

Kind of, but not in the way that you implied. It isn't idololtry because they do not pray to saints as gods, but rather as intermediaries between them and God.

k i understand now ^_^
Jen MooCows
k i understand now ^_^

Always glad to be of assistance.

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
Jen MooCows
Deoridhe
Do you know who Martin Luther is?

yes.. i learned about him in history .. he was a guy in ngland and everyone was cathlic.. he had a lot agaisnt the catholic church so he got a group together and sepreated.. he got the nobles on his side so he kinda won.. i think they had a meeting called the diet of worms.. not sure...
Well, if you are Luthern, then your branch of Christianity is based off of his disagreements with the Catholics.

Those who were not Catholic (or Orthodox) were called Protestant.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff