Welcome to Gaia! ::

Seriously? I'm just wondering, because we brought up this topic in my political science class. And I was wondering, what do you really religious people think about it? I mean, is it wrong or what? And why?

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
I think that for transgendered individuals, being able to make their secondary and primary sexual characteristics match their actual gender is a wonderful thing.
You go to war with the body you have, not the body you want. Now stop being a nancie girl and suck it up.

In a more serious vien, I don't think any religious texts specifically cover sex-changes. They're something of a modern phenomenon you know.
Tangled Up In Blue
You go to war with the body you have, not the body you want. Now stop being a nancie girl and suck it up.

In a more serious vien, I don't think any religious texts specifically cover sex-changes. They're something of a modern phenomenon you know.

ah, true. Well. I didn't know if it possibly had something that could be applied to modern day desires now, or anything... well obviously, but I mean, one's desire to change one's gender. But not, I suppose, if you say so. smile
You are who you are and you have to accept that. You're born with the body that God (or for the non religious ones), the body your parents gave you. But for those transgendered individuals, it's ok though.
Mai Katsuya
You are who you are and you have to accept that. You're born with the body that God (or for the non religious ones), the body your parents gave you. But for those transgendered individuals, it's ok though.

So, why for them, and not for others?

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
Tangled Up In Blue

Actually, if I recall correctly the Lakota had a third gender which essentially scanned onto male to female transsexual who were men who lived as women. They were highly valued as second wives.
Shaviv
Mai Katsuya

So, why for them, and not for others?

neutral Good question. Then how about this. No sex change for anyone. Deal with the p***s or lack of that you we're born with. mad
Deoridhe
Tangled Up In Blue

Actually, if I recall correctly the Lakota had a third gender which essentially scanned onto male to female transsexual who were men who lived as women. They were highly valued as second wives.

Well, it's an interesting concept at any rate... very, um, thoughtful of them. ^-^

Oh and by the way, if a guy WANTS to be a man, but let's say he can't get his operation for whatever the reason, would you think that him just cross-dressing was wrong?
A lot of American Indian traditions (excluding warlike tribes such as the Apache) have berdache (this is the general term; they are called different ones in different tribes; for example, the Lakota Sioux called them "winktes," and they were called "Nadle" in Navaho tribes), which are usually males that take on "traditional" female characteristics, female dress, etc. These transgendered Indians often have high positions, like healers and shamans. Some of them also married other men. American Indians, and other religions such as Buddhism, encourage "middle paths." So while they may prefer for a person to stay in this "middle" of both genders, and it isn't specifically addressed, one would assume that gender reassignment operations wouldn't be looked down on in the tribes that have berdache. But I'm not a major in American Indian beliefs, so correct me if I'm wrong.
As a 16 yr old male to female transsexual on hormone therapy living full time, I have done alot of research on this, I'm just saying this first reply to anny people. After I see some stuff I know something about I'll reply to that. Yes transgendered and hermaphrdites were revered in greek, egyption, miyan, japanese, and native american culture. In greece they were religous leaders while in others places they were healers, the kind that would take your illness into them and for weeks battle it till he/she conquered it.
gwwendy2000
As a 16 yr old male to female transsexual on hormone therapy living full time, I have done alot of research on this, I'm just saying this first reply to anny people. After I see some stuff I know something about I'll reply to that. Yes transgendered and hermaphrdites were revered in greek, egyption, miyan, japanese, and native american culture. In greece they were religous leaders while in others places they were healers, the kind that would take your illness into them and for weeks battle it till he/she conquered it.

... Greek? Nuri?
Triste Morningstar
gwwendy2000

... Greek? Nuri?

We had a greek god named Hermaphrodite. That's about all I can give you.
Nuri
Triste Morningstar
gwwendy2000

... Greek? Nuri?

*blinks* Really? Odd.
Triste Morningstar
Nuri
Triste Morningstar
gwwendy2000

... Greek? Nuri?

*blinks* Really? Odd.

Yep. Child of Hermes and Aphrodite. Trying to remember the exact myth.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff