Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dedicated Reveler

4,000 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Conversationalist 100
Mea quidem sententia
The Herald of War
Purpose according to what? Purpose is something a sentient being gives things in their own mind, not some inherent attribute.

As a species we propagate. What other reason would there be propagate other than for survival? I don't mean to treat this in a manner that humans have an inherent purpose in the Universe. I hope I clarified what I meant that it may be acceptable to you.

We propagate, but why does that need a reason aside from the simple reality that makes it work? Reasons, at least ones that are more than just explanations, are for things that think, not merely for processes that occur. That's like attaching some kind of reason to planets orbiting around a star beyond just the physics of it.

Liberal Friend

The Herald of War
Mea quidem sententia
The Herald of War
Purpose according to what? Purpose is something a sentient being gives things in their own mind, not some inherent attribute.

As a species we propagate. What other reason would there be propagate other than for survival? I don't mean to treat this in a manner that humans have an inherent purpose in the Universe. I hope I clarified what I meant that it may be acceptable to you.

We propagate, but why does that need a reason aside from the simple reality that makes it work? Reasons, at least ones that are more than just explanations, are for things that think, not merely for processes that occur. That's like attaching some kind of reason to planets orbiting around a star beyond just the physics of it.

My response to the OP was simply that being biological organisms who continue to propagate out of necessity to keep our species going, this would stand in contrast to an individual who wants to end his or her life. It's not a predictable behavior, as in the norm. Other factors can play a role for why such individual wants to end his or her life.

I do not mean to say that all things around us have intention behind it, such as planets orbiting stars, but if one asked why planets orbit stars, a reason could be given. We are conscious and curious, so I think it's natural to ask. Again, I do not mean to say that humans have a purpose in this universe, nor do I mean to say that inanimate objects that obey the laws of physics (a metaphor) have any intention in mind.

Dedicated Reveler

4,000 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Conversationalist 100
Mea quidem sententia
The Herald of War
Mea quidem sententia
The Herald of War

My response to the OP was simply that being biological organisms who continue to propagate out of necessity to keep our species going, this would stand in contrast to an individual who wants to end his or her life. It's not a predictable behavior, as in the norm. Other factors can play a role for why such individual wants to end his or her life.

I do not mean to say that all things around us have intention behind it, such as planets orbiting stars, but if one asked why planets orbit stars, a reason could be given. We are conscious and curious, so I think it's natural to ask. Again, I do not mean to say that humans have a purpose in this universe, nor do I mean to say that inanimate objects that obey the laws of physics (a metaphor) have any intention in mind.

For planets orbiting stars I considered that and that's why I'd made the distinction between an explanation for how it happens versus reasons like survival.

Anyways, if all you are saying is that it isn't normal, what does that have to do with the concept of being reasonable/unreasonable? I focused on the purpose part since that seemed more relevant to what constitutes reasonable/unreasonable.

Liberal Friend

The Herald of War
Mea quidem sententia
The Herald of War
Mea quidem sententia
The Herald of War

For planets orbiting stars I considered that and that's why I'd made the distinction between an explanation for how it happens versus reasons like survival.

Anyways, if all you are saying is that it isn't normal, what does that have to do with the concept of being reasonable/unreasonable? I focused on the purpose part since that seemed more relevant to what constitutes reasonable/unreasonable.

One might say someone who is abnormal isn't behaving in a reasonable manner.

Dedicated Reveler

4,000 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Conversationalist 100
Mea quidem sententia
The Herald of War
Mea quidem sententia
The Herald of War
Mea quidem sententia
The Herald of War

One might say whatever they like, but that doesn't make it true. And in this case there's nothing at all to suggest that is true.

Liberal Friend

The Herald of War
Mea quidem sententia
The Herald of War
Mea quidem sententia
The Herald of War

One might say whatever they like, but that doesn't make it true. And in this case there's nothing at all to suggest that is true.

You're right and arguments from ignorance will get us nowhere. Where one thing might be abnormal, it may be normal in another culture. Maybe this will help.

P1: If we propagate to further our species, then to self-terminate is contrary to our nature.
P2: We propagate to further our species.
C: Therefore, to self-terminate is contrary to our nature.

Feel free to critique. I will wait. ^_^

Dedicated Reveler

4,000 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Conversationalist 100
Mea quidem sententia
The Herald of War
Mea quidem sententia
The Herald of War
Mea quidem sententia
The Herald of War

You're right and arguments from ignorance will get us nowhere. Where one thing might be abnormal, it may be normal in another culture. Maybe this will help.

P1: If we propagate to further our species, then to self-terminate is contrary to our nature.

Well the premises are pretty shady.

Why in the world would something some of us do somehow define ALL of our nature? Since when did the popularity of a particular motivation somehow upgrade it to the nature of everyone?

How have you determined that this is the motivation of people? Maybe they personally want kids and the propagation is merely a by-product.

Liberal Friend

The Herald of War
Well the premises are pretty shady.

Why in the world would something some of us do somehow define ALL of our nature? Since when did the popularity of a particular motivation somehow upgrade it to the nature of everyone?

How have you determined that this is the motivation of people? Maybe they personally want kids and the propagation is merely a by-product.

I'd say it's something most of us do. The choices humans make today most likely differ from the choices made by humans hundred-thousands of years ago. (I say "likely" because I don't want to make too strong of an assertion.) I'm glad it does not seem you think popularity is necessarily a fallacious thing. Or it appears that way to me. So if I may, I'll say originally, propagation was the means for survival, so self-termination would not be viable.

With this shift where we as humans have civilized in almost every part of the world, perhaps propagation is no longer the reason why self-termination would be considered unreasonable. No doubt, some do these things for reasons, which others might find unreasonable (such as to preserve honor, or to protect loved ones, &c.). Perhaps I will reconsider. Thank you for this discussion, The Herald of War. It has been a delight.

ArcticMars's Husband

Gracious Lunatic

7,300 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Consumer 100
Determinant has always been you.

Morality, Law, Society are all made by men, it was man who decided their his morals, laws and society.

It was Man who created his own morals, his own laws and society.

so in the end you are not bound by it, you CHOSE to be bound by it.

its your Instinct that chooses reasonable from unreasonable. it knows what will help you to live longer and it acts the way that lets you survive.

The Reason you obey law is to avoid trouble is because you want to survive, The reason you obey society is because you want to leave peacefully and easily without any hassle. The reason you hold up your Morality is because you feel like it.

Reasonable and Unreasonable are just words. Everything is a fair game if you feel like it.

Enduring Seeker

6,475 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Marathon 300
Mea quidem sententia
The Herald of War
Mea quidem sententia
The Herald of War
Mea quidem sententia
The Herald of War

Even if this argument turns out to be valid, you have not shown that propagation is reasonable and/or self-termination is unreasonable.

Invisible Explorer

7,575 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Member 100
  • Market Browser 100
I think we humans have a basic concept of right and wrong regardless of where we're from in the world. But our judgement can be clouded by a number of things and it takes an almost inhuman amount of strength to overcome it at times.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff