Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian

Exoth XIII
Locutus_Argolis
Exoth XIII
Locutus_Argolis
Gettin really sick of people bashing religion and as a general making out science and philosophy dualistic of religion ******** retarded 1st duality doesnt exist. 2nd the church protected and archived many scientific advancements throughout history and protected such from raiders and other bs need I point out as well many scientific advancements WERE made BY PRIESTS hence for example organic life is made of cells, its called a friggin cell because the biologist who discovered them was in fact a priest and named it after what monks live in do to similar shape a cell 3rd a da fuq huge chunk of philosophy comes directly from Taoism, Confucianism and Buddhism
sweet bloody cthulhu when you attack religion with stupid points you only show how much of a closed minded bandwagon riding bigot you truly are

*poof* ninja

In all fairness, the church only protected scientific advancements consistent with its doctrine, and a little too frequently, they were the raiders destroying scientific knowledge.

Actually, most of what we know of philosophy in the west has Greek roots, especially when you're referring to the scientific method. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with eastern philosophy, it just hasn't influenced western philosophy that much. Western philosophies tend to involve a lot more reductionism, and abstraction.

actualy eastern philosophy has had a major impact it just goes under a humble presence since it tends to focus on self betterment while the rest of the world is obsessed with control of others. and far more i care not to type xD try picking up a book like the Tao Te Ching or even just listen to some lectures by Alan Watts

Taoism focuses on emptying the mind, to clarify it. What, in western philosophy, has ANYTHING to do with it?
Quote:

Post scriptus . And as far as them not retaining certain facts every faction in history has freely controlled information for example the USA in highschool government books saying Anarchy is the absence of government when the etymology is An-Archos which is simply to be without archons individuals with more rights or powers than others like how the president can veto.

Maybe they got that from the fact that our representatives in government can vote on bills, and we can't.

yep thats taoism alright....

I hope you can taste the sarcasm
Locutus_Argolis
Its technicaly power ranger, you see in japan its known as Super Sentai and was around like 16 years before it came to us as power rangers, were actualy da fuq behind xD
and pokemon might be able to put up a fight being as their are GOD pokemon..that you can catch and bend to your will??

I've known power rangers came out in Japan first for quite a while. I just don't recognize the photo. There are a lot of characters in the photo so it is rather hard for me to tell who or what is actually in it. About all I gathered was there were robots, so I guessed the two shows I know about that have robots in them. whee Well, there are animes with robots, but the picture doesn't look like the art I see for the ones I know about.

If there are godly pokemon then the trainer that catches them and bends them to their will is more powerful than god (in the pokemon world)? Awsome. If my pokemon silver would retain a save file I'd probably go and do that now xd

Wow are we off topic....

Gaian

Turnilk
Locutus_Argolis
Its technicaly power ranger, you see in japan its known as Super Sentai and was around like 16 years before it came to us as power rangers, were actualy da fuq behind xD
and pokemon might be able to put up a fight being as their are GOD pokemon..that you can catch and bend to your will??

I've known power rangers came out in Japan first for quite a while. I just don't recognize the photo. There are a lot of characters in the photo so it is rather hard for me to tell who or what is actually in it. About all I gathered was there were robots, so I guessed the two shows I know about that have robots in them. whee Well, there are animes with robots, but the picture doesn't look like the art I see for the ones I know about.

If there are godly pokemon then the trainer that catches them and bends them to their will is more powerful than god (in the pokemon world)? Awsome. If my pokemon silver would retain a save file I'd probably go and do that now xd

Wow are we off topic....

yea their are literaly god pokemon xD like one is the god of time and one is the god of space xD and one aparently created the ENTIRE pokemon world....but yet its suseptable to the master ball xD I has a shiny one lol'
WAIT NOOOOOOO DAMNITTT
i just remember that was on my white savedata that i lost a lil while back D;
Locutus_Argolis
yea their are literaly god pokemon xD like one is the god of time and one is the god of space xD and one aparently created the ENTIRE pokemon world....but yet its suseptable to the master ball xD I has a shiny one lol'
WAIT NOOOOOOO DAMNITTT
i just remember that was on my white savedata that i lost a lil while back D;

Never had a shiny one. The "newest" pokemon game I own is silver. Thought about getting a newer version, but then I thought "f*ck that. its the same thing I have already with different critters." So... yeah.... Never saw the appeal in the shinies anyway. Other than color they are the same thing as a normal pokemon.

We should get back to the thread topic before it gets tossed into the abyss of the chatterbox forum.

AcidStrips's Husband

Dangerous Conversationalist

8,175 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
Rumblestiltskin
Locutus_Argolis
my "counter" was on the point of the thread of those who only bash religion as a whole and only see the bad things that have happened and generalize all religions as one, when clearly "eastern religions dont count" is bullshit since their are more yellow people then white xD just because you live in north america or europe doesnt make you the center of the world

One, your "counter" was still entirely irrelevant as you were trying to paint me with the same broad brush you were painting everyone else who criticizes religion when I never brought up what I thought about the matter...only that your argument was a really weak overgeneralization that relies heavily on ignoring all the atrocities that are attributed to religions in a poor attempt to keep people from talking s**t.

Two, you really need to organize your thoughts before you hit the submit button.

QFE
stealthmongoose
Rumblestiltskin
Locutus_Argolis
my "counter" was on the point of the thread of those who only bash religion as a whole and only see the bad things that have happened and generalize all religions as one, when clearly "eastern religions dont count" is bullshit since their are more yellow people then white xD just because you live in north america or europe doesnt make you the center of the world

One, your "counter" was still entirely irrelevant as you were trying to paint me with the same broad brush you were painting everyone else who criticizes religion when I never brought up what I thought about the matter...only that your argument was a really weak overgeneralization that relies heavily on ignoring all the atrocities that are attributed to religions in a poor attempt to keep people from talking s**t.

Two, you really need to organize your thoughts before you hit the submit button.

QFE
Where are Jack and Santa? How should I know? I'm not their babysitter.

Eloquent Sophomore

8,975 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Signature Look 250
Locutus_Argolis
Exoth XIII
Locutus_Argolis
Exoth XIII
Locutus_Argolis
Gettin really sick of people bashing religion and as a general making out science and philosophy dualistic of religion ******** retarded 1st duality doesnt exist. 2nd the church protected and archived many scientific advancements throughout history and protected such from raiders and other bs need I point out as well many scientific advancements WERE made BY PRIESTS hence for example organic life is made of cells, its called a friggin cell because the biologist who discovered them was in fact a priest and named it after what monks live in do to similar shape a cell 3rd a da fuq huge chunk of philosophy comes directly from Taoism, Confucianism and Buddhism
sweet bloody cthulhu when you attack religion with stupid points you only show how much of a closed minded bandwagon riding bigot you truly are

*poof* ninja

In all fairness, the church only protected scientific advancements consistent with its doctrine, and a little too frequently, they were the raiders destroying scientific knowledge.

Actually, most of what we know of philosophy in the west has Greek roots, especially when you're referring to the scientific method. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with eastern philosophy, it just hasn't influenced western philosophy that much. Western philosophies tend to involve a lot more reductionism, and abstraction.

actualy eastern philosophy has had a major impact it just goes under a humble presence since it tends to focus on self betterment while the rest of the world is obsessed with control of others. and far more i care not to type xD try picking up a book like the Tao Te Ching or even just listen to some lectures by Alan Watts

Taoism focuses on emptying the mind, to clarify it. What, in western philosophy, has ANYTHING to do with it?
Quote:

Post scriptus . And as far as them not retaining certain facts every faction in history has freely controlled information for example the USA in highschool government books saying Anarchy is the absence of government when the etymology is An-Archos which is simply to be without archons individuals with more rights or powers than others like how the president can veto.

Maybe they got that from the fact that our representatives in government can vote on bills, and we can't.

That IS Taoism. Are you getting it confused with Confucianism? Or Buddhism, perhaps?
You refer to the Tao Te Ching. I own a copy myself. Have you read it?

Ah, but you also refer to Alan Watts. Is that where you get your understanding of Taoism? Because that's not Taoism. It's a particular brand of Zen Buddhism, strongly influenced by Hindu scriptures.
For a beginner, I suggest "The Tao of Pooh." Read it, 's'good.
Basically, it's about living life in harmony with the universe. Supposedly, when a person asserts their will on the universe, they disrupt its flow, harming himself and others. As such, you should react to life around you without thinking, like water. That's wu wei, action without intent.

To achieve that, you'd have to empty your mind. Hence, Taoism's focus on emptying the mind.
If you've ever seen a koan, they're usually not meant to illustrate a point. They're meant to trick the mind into a state of emptiness, trying to answer a question that can't be answered.

Mora Starseed's Husband

Intellectual Combatant

11,225 Points
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
  • Mark Twain 100
Locutus_Argolis

*poof* ninja
0) Why is it that these posts always read as though a monkey was pounding on a keyboard...? Seriously, learn some grammar, because then at least your rants will be coherent.

1) I couldn't make heads of tails of this mess of a would-be point. Please explain further what in the 'verse you're trying to say, here.

2) No. Just no. The church only supported scientific knowledge that in some way furthered their agenda, and burned everyone else (like Giordano Bruno) at the stake for heresy. Also, Robert Hooke wasn't a priest, and him calling cells 'cells' was an observation about their structure, which has nothing to do with religion itself.

3) So, are you discrediting Taoism, Confucianism, and Buddhism? I'm not really getting what you're saying here, either.

4) "Poof"? What the hell was that supposed to be? Was that actually part of your rant, or just a really random punctuation to it?

On a side note, I find it hilarious that a Christian is calling atheists "closed-minded, bandwagon-riding bigots" lol

Omnipresent Glitch

11,850 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Invisibility 100
Bashing "wewigion", eh? Christfags only want "wewigious fweedom" for themselves while holding a massive hug-box site called Stormfront dedicated to bashing all other "wewigions" except Christfaggotry, eh? Christfags can't let Scientology/Xenufags be and decide to be hypocrites and call them a cult looking to score a pretty penny when Christfags are nothing but a cult who thrive on "Mega Churches" that exist in some state of tax-exempt flux, eh?

Christfags held numerous book-burning seances over the centuries, but they were concerned about preserving the text that pandered to their own biases, eh? Christfags make it in their latent hypocrisy to stamp a Copyright on their "bible translation #45" because they're so concerned about "spreading the truth" so that they hold the legal ability to sue anyone for $50,000+ who wants to "spread the truth" without their permission, eh?

I'm "tewwibwy sowwy", but I hold no sympathy for these peeps, eh?

Newbie Noob

Locutus_Argolis

*poof* *grabbed* Got you ***** emotion_donotwant
Yes and the entire western world has Islamic scolars to thank for saving Greek and Roman culture. With out there help, Europe may have never reached the enlightenment period. But islam of yesterday is not the islam of today, lets see what they have brought use recently: Muslim rape gangs and (oh yes) suicide bombers.

Look dip s**t, religion is a relic of the past. It had it's uses, but it's days are number.
Locutus_Argolis
rather then reply individually Ill just post this

You all clearly dont understand that their are more religious people in the world then just Christians Muslims Jews, and the oh well their more prominent? really because china has the most ppl out of any country and their citizens are Taoist/Buddhist

Actually, they're Taoist, Buddhist, Muslim, Christian, atheist, and some are still adherents of the older Chinese folk religion; in general, the communist government tolerates these, while (because communist) forbidding certain practices within them.

Western Society, as a general rule, is dominated by the religions of Abraham.

Quote:
Also to deny a parent from passing on their beliefs onto their children is wrong as far as a school doing it well guess what the parent has the kid going their for a reason.

This depends on whether the school's existence is subsidised by the government, or by donations / student tuition alone. In the former case, a school cannot do it; in the latter, the donating body (often a church) is allowed to make those decisions.

Quote:
As far as religion being toxic for society?religion helped FOUND society
so no whats toxic for society is ignorance and bigotry

Actually, agriculture and domestication founded society; once food could be produced rather than merely sought, then other things could arise.

Religion rose out of ignorance; unexplained phenomena started to be explained with stories - and as the stories became more elaborate and gained a semblance of consistency to them, they became proto-religions. Drop-Water dances on the clouds, causing rain to fall out. At the same time, the rules of developing society came to be justified by those stories: if you do these rituals and obey these rules, Drop-Water will be happy and do his rain dance, bringing rain. If you don't, Drop-Water will be angry and stomp on the clouds, making thunder.

Bigotry is the updated form of tribalism: humans, as primates, are evolutionarily wired for interaction with relatively small groups. Religions (we believe in Drop-Water; the fools in the next village think that Yellow-Sun burns the clouds to make rain if they do human sacrifices) fit into this neatly.

Even in a global big-ess Society, the small-group instinct remains. You can see it in Christianity alone: even though there are super-groups (Catholic, Eastern Orthodox, Oriental Orthodox, Protestant,) they branch further into smaller and more numerous groups, each slightly different and often fiercely proud of its differences.

Quote:
Well Loki religious ppl are ignorant and bigots look at history, oh realy? they used it as a weapon and their for its evil on all grounds? Why are guns not banned then? religion is a tool to teach morals but guns are specifically designed to maim and kill, why not ban bombs?

Actually, worship of Loki was not used as a weapon; and indeed, Norse mythology in general was not. There's no sense of "call upon our gods and not yours, or we will troll-hammer you."

Religion is a tool to create in-groups and establish their rules; whether any given religion is a weapon or not hinges on how those rules interact with out-groups. If there's an explicit call to conquer or destroy (as with, say, the Amalekites,) then yes.

As for "why not ban bombs," that would be nice; but the problem there is that trying to lead by example will tend to get you conquered. Treaties are one solution, but remain vulnerable to people deciding to break / end-run around them.

Quote:
religion is a tool not just answers and for many religions its more questions then answers for example Taoism and Buddhism
but then again white ppl especially US citizens like to pretend that religions based on self betterment rather then the betterment of others dont exist.

Not sure what it has to do with whites. However, the dominant religion of the USA is Christianity (as a blanket; see above.) As a general rule, Christians do believe that it is not possible for other religions to be correct, based on their not holding certain core tenets. It's not a matter of pretending that other religions don't exist, but of the tendency to lump them into "you don't love Jesus, therefore you'll burn in hell."

Mora Starseed's Husband

Intellectual Combatant

11,225 Points
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
  • Mark Twain 100
Locutus_Argolis
The whole "Arceus is PokeWorld's God" is a fan appellation. Nowhere in the in-game canon or the anime does it state that it or the Space-Time Trio are gods. It says that they were worshiped like gods - but there's a big difference between being a god and having people worship you as though you were one.

As with actual religion, you should really understand such distinctions and do some fact-checking before you start ignorantly ranting and condemning any that aren't your own.

Angelic Husband

11,300 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Popular Thread 100
You must be new here

Gaian

Exoth XIII
Locutus_Argolis
Exoth XIII
Locutus_Argolis
Exoth XIII

Quote:

That IS Taoism. Are you getting it confused with Confucianism? Or Buddhism, perhaps?
You refer to the Tao Te Ching. I own a copy myself. Have you read it?

Ah, but you also refer to Alan Watts. Is that where you get your understanding of Taoism? Because that's not Taoism. It's a particular brand of Zen Buddhism, strongly influenced by Hindu scriptures.
For a beginner, I suggest "The Tao of Pooh." Read it, 's'good.
Basically, it's about living life in harmony with the universe. Supposedly, when a person asserts their will on the universe, they disrupt its flow, harming himself and others. As such, you should react to life around you without thinking, like water. That's wu wei, action without intent.

To achieve that, you'd have to empty your mind. Hence, Taoism's focus on emptying the mind.
If you've ever seen a koan, they're usually not meant to illustrate a point. They're meant to trick the mind into a state of emptiness, trying to answer a question that can't be answered.

yes i know his focus is zen but on several ocasions he brings up and talks about taoism, the tao te ching and laotzi due to the influence its had on zen, in fact so that the zen Buddhist temple of Toledo is a great place to talk about philosophy at. but anyway and yes I own a copy its always in my backpack along with my Hua Hu Ching and Liezi. I can understand your thought of emptying ones mind but i think thats just a odd pull from what most ppl think of meditation.

Sparkly Shapeshifter

12,950 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Person of Interest 200
I don't have beefs with most religions, but the Abrahamic faiths really deserve to be bashed on occasion. They are anti-woman, anti-gay, and anti-morality. I am grateful that most people of these religions interpret their texts differently, and are peaceful people that do not follow their texts closely.

It is not moral to do whatever your god says no matter what and to claim that everything your god does is morally good when it's clearly freaking obvious that your god is a genocidal maniac with an ego larger than the universe. It is not moral to preach to people to believe in your god and follow your religious book despite the obvious lack of evidence to support those things, and then punish people for not following your specifically religious rules.

If you can't take it, grow a thick skin.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff