Welcome to Gaia! ::

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
Boxy
Moreover, I doubt you even know the difference between the Hades, Gehenna, and Tartarus forms of Hell - a rather big difference, depending on the version you're using. KJV especially renders them as all the same thing sweatdrop

But, Boxy, they don't worship the book, so being ignorant of Gods word is just fine! After all, it's not like the Bible is meant for education on how to live a holy and God Fearing life and be Christ Like, or anything. And hypocirsy can't be hipocrisy when done in ignorance, right? [ /sarcasm ]

Okay, done now. Sorry.
Deoridhe
Boxy
Moreover, I doubt you even know the difference between the Hades, Gehenna, and Tartarus forms of Hell - a rather big difference, depending on the version you're using. KJV especially renders them as all the same thing sweatdrop

But, Boxy, they don't worship the book, so being ignorant of Gods word is just fine! After all, it's not like the Bible is meant for education on how to live a holy and God Fearing life and be Christ Like, or anything. And hypocirsy can't be hipocrisy when done in ignorance, right? [ /sarcasm ]

Okay, done now. Sorry.
Wow... you laid it on a bit thick there, didn't you? gonk

As for the importance of actually reading and understanding the Bible and not just quoting it:

Quote:
16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

17 That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works. (KJV 2 Timothy 3:16-17)
Deoridhe
Boxy
Here we go:

Quote:
16 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;

26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you. (KJV John 14:16,26)

I was rather hoping she would do it, actually, as that would require her to prove she is capable of looking in a Bible, which at the moment seems unclear. lol

I should stop playing with the fundy, shouldn't I?

acts 2:4
or
acts 2:3-5
one of them im not sure which one

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
*ahems* Yeah, sorry, Boxy (and other sensible Christians who may come through here). I shouldn't have done that.

ultimate_jesus_freak
Deoridhe
I was rather hoping she would do it, actually, as that would require her to prove she is capable of looking in a Bible, which at the moment seems unclear. lol

I should stop playing with the fundy, shouldn't I?

or

acts 2:4-5
All of them were filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues[a] as the Spirit enabled them.

Now there were staying in Jerusalem Godfearing Jews from every nation under heaven.

Well, you're proven you can quote the Chapter and Verse from the Bible, so I stand corrected. You seem to be unable to read or quote what said Chapters and Verses say, though, or comment on their relevance, but I suppose that is beyond the pale.
ultimate_jesus_freak
or

Quote:
3 And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them.
4 And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.
5 And there were dwelling at Jerusalem Jews, devout men, out of every nation under heaven. (KJV Acts 2:3-5)

In none of these verses does it describe the promise of the Holy Ghost appearing after Christ's departure, but merely an instance of its power, which was also utilized by Peter to receive a testimony of the divinity of Christ:

Quote:
16 And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God.
17 And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Bar-jona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven. (KJV Matthew 16:16-17)
Deoridhe: it's usually good form to also detail what translation you're using for specific quotes. I believe it's copyright law, but that's just hearsay sweatdrop

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
Boxy
Deoridhe: it's usually good form to also detail what translation you're using for specific quotes. I believe it's copyright law, but that's just hearsay sweatdrop

*salutes* Noted for the future. I was using a site that doesn't clearly list its source, but there are loads of them.
Deoridhe
Boxy

*salutes* Noted for the future. I was using a site that doesn't clearly list its source, but there are loads of them.
biblegateway.com is a good one, as is the search command on lds.org. I've found that the lds.org system of reference searching is far more effective in getting all the various forms of a word rather than the exact instance sweatdrop

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
Boxy
I've found that the lds.org system of reference searching is far more effective in getting all the various forms of a word rather than the exact instance sweatdrop

Thanks. smile
Deoridhe
Boxy
I've found that the lds.org system of reference searching is far more effective in getting all the various forms of a word rather than the exact instance sweatdrop

Thanks. smile
No problemo blaugh I've always found their standard-issue Bible to be extremely useful - jam-packed full of cross-references, alternate Greek translations, and a Topic Guide and Bible Dictionary right in the back.
So aside from the Fundie trying to convert us (she's in the Jesus Army? xd ), this discussion was about how religion sets us up to fail?

Is that the argument?
So what exactly is your vague statement?

"Societies back dated theological laws are building up our own damnation." or "There is no religion."
Boxy
ultimate_jesus_freak
or

Quote:
3 And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them.
4 And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.
5 And there were dwelling at Jerusalem Jews, devout men, out of every nation under heaven. (KJV Acts 2:3-5)

In none of these verses does it describe the promise of the Holy Ghost appearing after Christ's departure, but merely an instance of its power, which was also utilized by Peter to receive a testimony of the divinity of Christ:

Quote:
16 And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God.
17 And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Bar-jona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven. (KJV Matthew 16:16-17)

i am sorry that i have the street bible and they translate it diffrently
i am sorry that they mix the gospels together which for me makes it easier to understand.
Deoridhe
ultimate_jesus_freak
i couldnt care less what you think about me or the church coz you will be the one burning in hell because have been given a choice if you chose not to beleive in god then you will burn.

It's interesting you say that... since isn't judging people God's job? He usually doesn't look kindly on people telling him what to do.. in fact, I think that's a mortal sin.

iam just telling you the truth in a simple clear easy to understand way
ultimate_jesus_freak
i am sorry that i have the street bible and they translate it diffrently
Pfft. All Bibles are translated from about the same text, but individual usages of the language often gives the reader a different interpretation. Therefore, if something's found in your handy-dandy Street Bible, then it's also likely to be found in another version of the Bible if it's not completely fabricated.

Basically, what you're saying is "I'm sorry for using a different version than you." Don't be. Your version has absolutely nothing to bear with what is actually said in the text, given that they should theoretically be saying the same things.

ultimate_jesus_freak
i am sorry that they mix the gospels together which for me makes it easier to understand.
Oh, great googly moogly. In no way, shape, or form are the Gospels terribly different. They all testify of the divinity of Christ and attempt to inspire the reader to investigate further. Therefore, the Synoptic Gospels can and often do contain parallel information. Therefore, study of all of these as a cohesive study as well as taking into account the epistles of various apostles will lead one to study the Gospel. Being ignorant yourself of what's actually in the Bible is no defence from calls for you to actually study what the preacher's saying rather than simply accept it.

Now get out that book and read it for yourself. If you can start quoting it, good for you. If you can't, then go back and read it over again. The Bible's there for you to study, not just let it sit and look pretty on your bookshelf.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff