Welcome to Gaia! ::

how do you feel about fundamentalism?

Total Votes:[ 0 ]
This poll closed on February 27, 2005.
No longer accepting new votes.
1 2 >

sorry, i meant to post this in Morality and religion. can somebody please move it?
Is there anything wrong for believing in your own religion and acting according to it's (and therefore your's) morals and philosophies?
Hm. Care to give a condensed version? Because my eyes water at reading all of that right now. But if you define Catholic fundamentalism in the Latin rite as veneration of Mary, I think you're missing things in a big way.
i was not saying that much about catholicism, although i believe Mel Gibson and his dad represent a trend that wants to get back to traditional worship (no english) and stricter rules etc...

but what may be wrong is when your certainty and sense of truth lead you to injure other people because they are heathen or heretic.

that is going on in our present time.
Ebon Soul
Is there anything wrong for believing in your own religion and acting according to it's (and therefore your's) morals and philosophies?

When it harms others, yes.
I personally dislike fundamentalism, as it generally encourages people to believe something without question and without even looking at other things. To me, that is a very ignorant way to live life, with so much to see and understand in the world. There is nothing wrong with believing in something, but I wish more people, expecially the fundamentalists, would learn that people have the right to believe in whatever they want and to disagree with other people's accepted beliefs.

Vicious Reveler

In a case such as this its just silly to think you can easily pick a for or against side.

what doesn't work for one person does wonders for another.
Fundamentalism is, by my standards, and what I know of it, a better economical system than capitalism. I'm not saying we must resort to politicly becoming Marxists or moraly become in faith different. I live in the US and I am very much in politics. Of course, if we were to switch, the religion of the whole political gorvernment would be the main source. As of because Fundamentalism is run by High Priests. Many upright and snobby American's..And other nations, as the French would rebell and make the world harder than it is. Does anyone agree?

7,350 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Nudist Colony 200
Ebon Soul
No, unless they are phsically harming others they are fine. They have the right to believe whatever they want, whether others like it or not.
WOW I think its to complicated(sp?) for me.
chessiejo
i was not saying that much about catholicism, although i believe Mel Gibson and his dad represent a trend that wants to get back to traditional worship (no english) and stricter rules etc...

Er... No. 'Traditional worship' as you put it, does include English, readings, Gospel and sermon are in English and an English translation is available in a side by side format with the Latin. As for stricter rules, it depend upon your definition of strict. Looks wimpy compared with say the Melkite Eastern rite fast regs for example.
The rise in Fundementalism I embrace, sort of. Because its origin is also the origin the rise of political counter culture types.

The source comes from the growing amount of bs in the world which both religious fanatics and counter culture types are trying to do their thing with (political counter culture, anyway.)
I wouldn't mind going to a Latin Mass, really. I enjoy Latin- both singing it, and studying it.
Brynn Marcus
I wouldn't mind going to a Latin Mass, really. I enjoy Latin- both singing it, and studying it.

As do I. My latin class was supposed to go to a latin mass, but we never did.
sucks. I'll stick with singing it then.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces