Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Legendary Guest
Rumblestiltskin
I'm sorry, Guest...but it's a public forum. Lucky has every right to respond to whatever he sees in the forum...just as you and I do.

Sure, but if you're going to do it, would it be too much to ask if it actually didn't derail what was being discussed?

That depends on how the person being called out responds.

Omnipresent Loiterer

12,850 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Regular 100
The Legendary Guest
Rumblestiltskin
The Legendary Guest
Mainly, it was more a matter of jumping into a side discussion I was having with Cecilia,

I'm sorry, Guest...but it's a public forum. Lucky has every right to respond to whatever he sees in the forum...just as you and I do.

Sure, but if you're going to do it, would it be too much to ask if it actually didn't derail what was being discussed?

I don't think he did. Sure, he could have been less vague, but it's not like he was posting non-sequiturs. And the "not all x" thing isn't derailing discussion. The OP was generalizing, someone pointed that out. If OP wasn't vague in the first place, no one would have had to call them out on it.

Floppy Member

Lucky~9~Lives
The Legendary Guest
Rumblestiltskin

That depends on how the person being called out responds.

This is a good example of implying incoherent uncertainty. Care to explain in detail or shall I simply pay it no mind? Your call.

Floppy Member

Rumblestiltskin

I don't think he did.

I disagree. In what way did his comment plainly address the reflexive tendency for privileged majorities to leap to the "not all (___)"? I will remind you of the comment:

Quote:
Maybe if said woman opened with "the reason I hate men...".

This in response to "men going "not all men rape" when a woman comes forward as a rape victim and starts making commentary about misogynist parts of our culture" - meaning what, exactly?

Rumblestiltskin
Sure, he could have been less vague, but it's not like he was posting non-sequiturs.

Is it possible to be MORE vague? What does he even MEAN? That the feeling of being oppressed is somehow less valid when it is religious oppression? That we ought to maybe only make the point when it is not religious privilege on display? Who can tell?

Rumblestiltskin
And the "not all x" thing isn't derailing discussion.
We didn't mean it to be, well, I certainly did not but of course I cannot speak for Cecilia. I perceived her as not derailing anymore than I was, merely pointing out the problematic behavior and then I had every intention of dropping it. Considering Cecilia did not reply again, I considered it dropped.

Rumblestiltskin
The OP was generalizing, someone pointed that out.

Factually, yes OP was - and the fact that a member of the religious majority was the one to point it out rendered it a "not all (___)" response, which is deserving of calling out. Always.

Rumblestiltskin
If OP wasn't vague in the first place, no one would have had to call them out on it.

Except...who was it who had the problem with it? A member of the religious majority, that's who. I have no problem with the notion of someone of her own religious strata pointing that out to the OP, my problem comes from the fact that the only person who did was a member of the religious majority, and that was ALL HE HAD TO SAY. Not a speck of acknowledgement for the OP's feelings at being jacked by religious people, not so much as a nod to his own privilege in society. That's why I called HIM out.

Omnipresent Loiterer

12,850 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Regular 100
The Legendary Guest
I disagree. In what way did his comment plainly address the reflexive tendency for privileged majorities to leap to the "not all (___)"? I will remind you of the comment:

Quote:
Maybe if said woman opened with "the reason I hate men...".

Because the "yes all women" thing didn't open with "the reason I hate men"...this thread did (well, not "men" but "religious groups" )...it was a generalization, one that someone else pointed out, and then got shat on for doing so, even though he had a point.

Quote:
This in response to "men going "not all men rape" when a woman comes forward as a rape victim and starts making commentary about misogynist parts of our culture" - meaning what, exactly?

That ignoring the fact that one of these opened with a blatant generalization not applicable to everyone in a group does not make it disappear. OP was generalizing, and was rightly called out on it. It's a bit of a false equivocation because OP didn't start the thread discussing an experience they had with a religious group...the "yes all women" thing did. Though, if the "yes all women" thing did start with "the reason I hate all men"...then it would be even more applicable to point out that, in fact, not all men do rape or harass women...

Quote:
Is it possible to be MORE vague?What does he even MEAN? That the feeling of being oppressed is somehow less valid when it is religious oppression? That we ought to maybe only make the point when it is not religious privilege on display? Who can tell?

.....Lucky could. And if you actually asked him what he meant before jumping on him about joining into a conversation with a comment you admittedly didn't grasp, I'm sure he would have explained it.

Quote:
We didn't mean it to be, well, I certainly did not but of course I cannot speak for Cecilia. I perceived her as not derailing anymore than I was, merely pointing out the problematic behavior and then I had every intention of dropping it. Considering Cecilia did not reply again, I considered it dropped.

Guess I wasn't clear on that. My bad. I was talking about Lucky's comment. It seemed like it was in line with what you were talking about.

Quote:
Factually, yes OP was - and the fact that a member of the religious majority was the one to point it out rendered it a "not all (___)" response, which is deserving of calling out. Always.

Did he respond with "my religious group doesn't do that?" No. He was pointing out that it was a generalization...it doesn't make the generalization any less of a generalization because he's part of a group of the "privileged" group. It's a bit of an ad hominem fallacy to ignore what his actual argument was because of who he is...same with the rejection of the "not all men" argument...I mean, clearly, all men don't rape or harass women...but your argument would seem to imply that it's only fine to point out if you're a woman...and I'm sorry, but that's bullshit.

Quote:
Except...who was it who had the problem with it?A member of the religious majority, that's who.

Irrelevant. Was the argument valid? If so, his affiliation doesn't matter. Sure, it may be a bit hypocritical...but the argument still stands.

Quote:
I have no problem with the notion of someone of her own religious strata pointing that out to the OP, my problem comes from the fact that the only person who did was a member of the religious majority, and that was ALL HE HAD TO SAY. Not a speck of acknowledgement for the OP's feelings at being jacked by religious people, not so much as a nod to his own privilege in society. That's why I called HIM out.

I'm not saying don't call him out on his hypocrisy...however, what you're doing isn't addressing his argument...it's addressing him. That's the problem with the "you can't use the 'not all x'" argument.

Floppy Member

Rumblestiltskin
Because the "yes all women" thing didn't open with "the reason I hate men"

What are you talking about, Rumble? What "yes all women" thing?

Quote:
...this thread did (well, not "men" but "religious groups" )...

Uh huh...which is not what Cecilia and I were talking about....

Quote:
it was a generalization, one that someone else pointed out, and then got shat on for doing so, even though he had a point.

Not "shat on". How is our pointing out that it ignored the OP's issues and only focusing on the generalization then the two of us discussing the similarity to "not all men" in response to rape victims being shat on? Elaborate. Please explain thoroughly exactly how his "having a point" relates to his ignoring everything else about the OP's post.

Quote:
That ignoring the fact that one of these opened with a blatant generalization not applicable to everyone in a group does not make it disappear.

I am only talking about this thread. I have no ******** clue what other "one" you are talking about. Who is supposed to be ignoring the "blatant generalization" again, or under the impression that ignoring it makes it "disappear"? Who is claiming this type of thing?

Quote:
It's a bit of a false equivocation because OP didn't start the thread discussing an experience they had with a religious group...

She did explain how she felt about perceived exclusivity from Wiccans via a website. I would imagine that counted as an experience of some sort.

Quote:
the "yes all women" thing did.

What. Are. You. Talking. About?

Quote:
Though, if the "yes all women" thing did start with "the reason I hate all men"...

...which I would scarcely be in a position to know, considering I do not know what you are on about, and had nothing of the sort in mind when posting in this thread....

Quote:
then it would be even more applicable to point out that, in fact, not all men do rape or harass women...

Hold up. If I am reading this right, you are literally supporting the "not all (___)" response to someone who's been a victim of agression. Is that correct? Are you asserting that a women who makes a sweeping generalization about men after being a victim of male aggression is somehow not able to remember any men on the face of the Earth who did not rape or harrass her? That she needs a man to remind her?

I stated clearly that I was talking about sweeping societal issues, such as rape of women by men. Not individuals.

Quote:
.....Lucky could.

Lucky could also not make such a persistent habit of posting single sentences with little substance, then following the responses with questions and emoticons. This is the ED, after all.

Quote:
And if you actually asked him what he meant before jumping on him about joining into a conversation with a comment you admittedly didn't grasp, I'm sure he would have explained it.

Are you so sure? I seem to recall going for pages at a time with Lucky just to get a straight answer. I am not the only regular who has similar experiences with his MO. This leaves me in the position of being less inclined to ask what he means - which I did, by the way, and got a snark response about words having "meanings" combined with the obligatory emoticon - and more inclined to think "Well s**t, here we go again with this nonsense".

It is not my job to pry a proper answer from someone, it is their job to communicate effectively or explain that they're having difficulty doing so.

Quote:
Guess I wasn't clear on that. My bad. I was talking about Lucky's comment. It seemed like it was in line with what you were talking about.

I assure you it did not to me. We were addressing someone's specific behavior with respect to societal patterns.

Quote:
Did he respond with "my religious group doesn't do that?" No.

Does he have to, with a username like Young King under Heaven, an avatar with a halo and an admission that he's a Christian, who is known for posting ONLY what applies to his religion in any thread he enters? Really? Or is it safe to say by now that we're dealing with a privileged person? In your estimation is is necessary that he refer to his religious group every time he posts for us to notice we're dealing with person from a privileged majority?

Quote:
He was pointing out that it was a generalization...it doesn't make the generalization any less of a generalization because he's part of a group of the "privileged" group.

And NOBODY is claiming it is! The fact that everybody is belaboring that strawman right there is ******** disgusting. We did NOT say that, at any time. Ever. What we did was point out that only speaking to the generalization without acknowledging the problems of the OP was typical of a recurrent problem that arises when a privileged person is confronted with an oppressed minority member who is upset for some reason.

Quote:
It's a bit of an ad hominem fallacy to ignore what his actual argument was because of who he is...

It might be, if that's what we did, but we did not.

Quote:
same with the rejection of the "not all men" argument...

ABSOLUTELY NOT, BUDDY For anybody to need to focus on that generalization without addressing the issues behind it is a way to shift the focus of the discussion.

Quote:
I mean, clearly, all men don't rape or harass women...

No s**t, Rumble. Like, I know that, even though I've been through religious oppression - and also domestic violence and rape. I am not making sweeping generalizations because I have recovery behind me. Not everybody is so lucky. A simple study of the statistics would indicate that it would not be unusual to come across a person who had recently experienced aggression of some type due to their minority status, whatever that may be.

Quote:
but your argument would seem to imply that it's only fine to point out if you're a woman...

It implies that how? I am not implying s**t. I am telling you for a fact that for a man to stroll in where a woman is talking about the experience of being victimized by men and she uses the word "men" instead of taking the time to qualify it in a manner that reminds the MEN present that SHE KNOWS not ALL of them are that way and his response is "not all men" that's [******** up and wrong and [******** him for implying that the necessity of making sure that she does not speak in a manner that might include him without granting her the common decency of expressing her legitimate feelings before indicating that she does, indeed, know that "not all men" are the problem because, you know, that implies that she's a ******** idiot.

Let another survivor speak to her about it. It is NOT a man's place.

Quote:
and I'm sorry, but that's bullshit.

RIGHT BACK AT YOU - hold the sorry.

Quote:
Irrelevant.

Not irrelevant - part of a societal problem that affects me personally and that, my friend, is not irrelevent.

Quote:
Was the argument valid?

Is a single statement an argument now? Did I claim his statement was not valid?

Quote:
If so, his affiliation doesn't matter.

It did within the scope of the exchange I was holding with Cecilia, when the rest of you were not involved. You still aren't, actually.

Quote:
Sure, it may be a bit hypocritical...

It damn sure is and I do make a habit of pointing that out, regardless who does not find it pleasant.

Quote:
but the argument still stands.

What was said was that it was not addressing the OP's topic. Mind talking about what I actually said? That's been my problem from the beginning. Continuing to beat this dead horse I never rode in on makes no sense whatsoever.
The Legendary Guest
Lucky could also not make such a persistent habit of posting single sentences with little substance, then following the responses with questions and emoticons. This is the ED, after all.

Maybe this is tone policing....User Image

Floppy Member

Lucky~9~Lives
The Legendary Guest

Nope. Not at all surprised you didn't realize it, though.

Sukuya's Partner

Questionable Firestarter

25,500 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Lavish Tipper 200
Lucky~9~Lives
The Legendary Guest

UUUUUUUUUUM NO.
You were tone policing. Guest is reacting to your rather bs remarks.

What happened was as follows, so that way you can stop trying to blame Guest for it.

Young King under Heaven
Not all religious groups are stuck up /thread

AFTER WHICH I said something along the lines of "you sound like those #NOTALLMEN guys"

Young King was tone policing to try and end the thread.
Guest has been trying to otherwise continue the discussion.
You derailed it.

To the topic -
I admit that I had an experience with a minority group of atheists who decided to attack my own take on "religion vs irreligion," and that I may have generalized it a little, and I will agree that the OP is generalizing, but the fact of the matter is that it HAPPENS and shouldn't be happening. There are groups that emphasize exclusion rather than inclusion, and such will only lead to the annihilation of that tradition.
Cecilia Davidson
Lucky~9~Lives
The Legendary Guest

UUUUUUUUUUM NO.

Of course not; my point is it's somewhat hypocritical for The Legendary Guest to accuse me of single sentences with little substance, then following the responses with questions and emoticons, when that was her first reply to me.

Zealot

Lucky~9~Lives
You just got tone policed hard. They sure told you.

Sukuya's Partner

Questionable Firestarter

25,500 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Lavish Tipper 200
Lucky~9~Lives

Of course not; my point-
you had no point except to accuse her of tone policing. If you are going to insist on doing that rather than actually DISCUSS, I will gladly take needed measures like I already have been in this forum. That's why I'm otherwise trying to talk about the problem that arises when religions preach inclusive doctrine but its members act like those doctrine don't exist.

For all the songs of "all are welcome in this place," Christianity sure as hell does a horrible job with being inclusive, for the most part.

Omnipresent Loiterer

12,850 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Regular 100
The Legendary Guest
What are you talking about, Rumble? What "yes all women" thing?

I forget when it started or why it started, but there was a twitter hashtag that was popular a while back that was "yes all women"...which was women posting their stories about being sexually harassed or assaulted. This led to the "not all men" hashtag....I thought you were aware of this, so that's my bad for assuming.

Quote:
Uh huh...which is not what Cecilia and I were talking about....

...He didn't respond to what you BOTH said...he responded to something Cecilia said....

Quote:
Not "shat on". How is our pointing out that it ignored the OP's issues and only focusing on the generalization then the two of us discussing the similarity to "not all men" in response to rape victims being shat on? Elaborate. Please explain thoroughly exactly how his "having a point" relates to his ignoring everything else about the OP's post.

Because IT WAS A GENERALIZATION. And the person who was pointing that out got criticized for doing so and not for a solid reason. You didn't address his argument...you addressed him. And when Lucky pointed out that the "similarity" between the "not all men" thing is a false equivocation....HE got shat on as well...and unjustly so.

Quote:
I am only talking about this thread. I have no ******** clue what other "one" you are talking about. Who is supposed to be ignoring the "blatant generalization" again, or under the impression that ignoring it makes it "disappear"? Who is claiming this type of thing?

The "other one" is the "not all men" argument...which is the hashtag that I mentioned earlier that both Cecilia and Lucky seemed to be referencing.

Quote:
She did explain how she felt about perceived exclusivity from Wiccans via a website. I would imagine that counted as an experience of some sort.

Which only discusses wiccan groups...not ALL religious groups.

Quote:
What. Are. You. Talking. About?

I already explained it, but I'll also take the time to point out that, after looking through the rest of the comments, Cecilia was talking about the hashtag thing I thought she was...

Quote:
Hold up. If I am reading this right, you are literally supporting the "not all (___)" response to someone who's been a victim of agression. Is that correct?

It depends on the tone they take....like Lucky said, if their tone is "the reason I hate men," then yes, I will point that out...because hating the collective for the actions of an individual is idiotic. However, that's why the two (this thread and the #yesallwomen/#notallmen thing) are being falsely equivocated...the two aren't the same (or, at least, were not initially the same).

Quote:
Are you asserting that a women who makes a sweeping generalization about men after being a victim of male aggression is somehow not able to remember any men on the face of the Earth who did not rape or harrass her?

No, that isn't what I'm saying at all. And maybe if you'd just ask me to explain instead of attempting to fill out my stance for me, you'd understand why I'm taking the position that I am.

Quote:
That she needs a man to remind her?

That isn't what I said or even implied.

Quote:
I stated clearly that I was talking about sweeping societal issues, such as rape of women by men. Not individuals.

Men as a collective are not rapists...INDIVIDUALS ARE! Including women. Bringing gender into it is irrelevant, as its a terrible thing whether the perpetrator is a man or a woman.

Quote:

Unfortunately, you don't get to dictate what others can or cannot post...well, you can, but they're under no obligation to listen.

Quote:
Are you so sure? I seem to recall going for pages at a time with Lucky just to get a straight answer. I am not the only regular who has similar experiences with his MO. This leaves me in the position of being less inclined to ask what he means - which I did, by the way, and got a snark response about words having "meanings" combined with the obligatory emoticon - and more inclined to think "Well s**t, here we go again with this nonsense".

You started with an equally vague comment and an emoticon as well. I think he was just returning the sentiment. Also, again, you mentioned not understanding what his point was...and instead of asking him to explain, you criticized him for "tone policing" (which he wasn't doing).

Quote:
It is not my job to pry a proper answer from someone, it is their job to communicate effectively or explain that they're having difficulty doing so.

True...however, that doesn't always happen, as communication is a two-way street. I mean, I only have to remind you of conversations with Leon to demonstrate how even an accurately communicated message from one individual can not be received from another. The point is, if you didn't understand his point, you should have asked him to elaborate (insert Captain Hindsight reference).

Quote:
I assure you it did not to me. We were addressing someone's specific behavior with respect to societal patterns.

And he was pointing out why it was a false equivocation, since Cecilia was relating it to this topic and a comment someone else had made in regard to it.

Quote:
Does he have to, with a username like Young King under Heaven, an avatar with a halo and an admission that he's a Christian, who is known for posting ONLY what applies to his religion in any thread he enters? Really? Or is it safe to say by now that we're dealing with a privileged person? In your estimation is is necessary that he refer to his religious group every time he posts for us to notice we're dealing with person from a privileged majority?

Which, again, I'm not saying don't call him out on being a hypocrite...however, it's an ad hominem fallacy to focus your rebuttal solely on who he is instead of his argument. I mean, if I had made that comment, would you have objected? If your answer is no, then the argument is irrelevant.

Quote:
And NOBODY is claiming it is! The fact that everybody is belaboring that strawman right there is ******** disgusting. We did NOT say that, at any time. Ever. What we did was point out that only speaking to the generalization without acknowledging the problems of the OP was typical of a recurrent problem that arises when a privileged person is confronted with an oppressed minority member who is upset for some reason.

And yet, you did so only by focusing on the fact that the person is part of this "privileged" class. And that's not a straw man...that is a summation of your argument. OP opened with a generalization of religious groups...someone called them out on the generalization. Being a member of the "oppressed" class does mean the person is beyond reproach when they speak bullshit...no matter where the opposition to that bullshit comes from.

Quote:
It might be, if that's what we did, but we did not.

Your sole objection is that he is a member of this "privileged" class and that you don't think he should be allowed to speak on it because of that...That IS an ad hominem fallacy.

Quote:
ABSOLUTELY NOT, BUDDY For anybody to need to focus on that generalization without addressing the issues behind it is a way to shift the focus of the discussion.

What the #yesallwomen thing became was an opportunity for the "feminists" (I put it in quotations because, though the specific people I'm talking about claim their feminists, they're clearly sexists, as they aren't interested in the equality of the sexes, which makes them different from actual feminists) to spout man hate, mostly insinuating that all men are rapists. It became a sweeping generalization of men, which spawned the #notallmen thing...which was almost dismissed outright by these same "feminists," because their generalizations were being called out on. I admit that there is a ton of behavioral and societal issues relating to how women are treated that there should be a conversation taking place. However, 1) twitter is not that place. and 2) generalizations and gender shaming do not belong in that conversation.

Quote:
No s**t, Rumble. Like, I know that, even though I've been through religious oppression - and also domestic violence and rape. I am not making sweeping generalizations because I have recovery behind me. Not everybody is so lucky. A simple study of the statistics would indicate that it would not be unusual to come across a person who had recently experienced aggression of some type due to their minority status, whatever that may be.

A person not being "over" a traumatic event does not mean they get to speak freely without being criticized.

Quote:
It implies that how? I am not implying s**t.

Your objection to members of a "privileged" group (we'll ignore the fact that "male privilege" doesn't really exist anymore in American society...the only real privileged groups left are the religious and rich) pointing out clear generalizations on the sole grounds that they are members of the group being generalized implies that that's what your argument would be, if you were being logically consistent.

Quote:
I am telling you for a fact that for a man to stroll in where a woman is talking about the experience of being victimized by men and she uses the word "men" instead of taking the time to qualify it in a manner that reminds the MEN present that SHE KNOWS not ALL of them are that way and his response is "not all men" that's [******** up and wrong and [******** him for implying that the necessity of making sure that she does not speak in a manner that might include him without granting her the common decency of expressing her legitimate feelings before indicating that she does, indeed, know that "not all men" are the problem because, you know, that implies that she's a ******** idiot.

...Again, she wasn't raped by "men"...she was raped by "A man"...an individual. Your appeal to emotions does nothing to validate the use of generalizations by a person who suffered a traumatic event...because, as a man, it's an insult to be treated like I'm going to rape someone just because I'm a man...which is why there are people who object to that generalization.

Quote:
Let another survivor speak to her about it.

How about no...being in a traumatic event doesn't make a person beyond reproach. If you speak bullshit, and you get called out on that bullshit, playing the victim card does nothing to validate that bullshit.

Quote:
It is NOT a man's place.

There are men who are rape survivors, too.

Quote:
RIGHT BACK AT YOU - hold the sorry.

We could around and around with this "I know you are, but what am I routine"...however, I'd prefer to stick to the actual arguments...

Quote:
Not irrelevant - part of a societal problem that affects me personally and that, my friend, is not irrelevent.

It was irrelevant to the discussion. Or, in case this was too vague (though, I explained WHY it was irrelevant in the next part), your objection over who it was who made the argument is irrelevant to the validity of the argument...as arguments stand and fall on their own. His was valid...hypocritical...but valid.

Quote:
Is a single statement an argument now?

Yes...it might not be a well defined argument, but yes...it can be an argument.

Quote:
Did I claim his statement was not valid?

No, you focused simply on an ad hominem attack instead...which doesn't invalidate his argument, nor does it address his argument.

Quote:
It did within the scope of the exchange I was holding with Cecilia, when the rest of you were not involved.

No it didn't, because if anyone not affiliated with a religious group, would you have said anything?

Quote:
You still aren't, actually.

Actually I am. If I weren't involved, we wouldn't be having this conversation. We are, so I am.

Quote:
It damn sure is and I do make a habit of pointing that out, regardless who does not find it pleasant.

And I'm fine with pointing that out. But rejecting his argument completely, especially when it's valid, is silly. You can point out that he's probably the last person who has a right to be pointing out that generalization and still admit that his point was valid.

Quote:
What was said was that it was not addressing the OP's topic. Mind talking about what I actually said? That's been my problem from the beginning. Continuing to beat this dead horse I never rode in on makes no sense whatsoever.

It wasn't addressing the topic...but it WAS addressing the title...which is PART of the topic...it's also an irrelevant part...they could have easily named it something else, and avoided this whole thing.

Floppy Member

Cecilia Davidson
Lucky~9~Lives

Of course not; my point-
you had no point except to accuse her of tone policing. If you are going to insist on doing that rather than actually DISCUSS, I will gladly take needed measures like I already have been in this forum. That's why I'm otherwise trying to talk about the problem that arises when religions preach inclusive doctrine but its members act like those doctrine don't exist.

For all the songs of "all are welcome in this place," Christianity sure as hell does a horrible job with being inclusive, for the most part.

Not to mention is ridiculously common for Christian men to oppress women specifically and justify that by invoking their religious beliefs. Here in the Bible Belt I am likely to witness multiple micro-aggressions every time I leave the house from "good Christian men". I have daughters who experience them and I experience them. These things are worth addressing within these threads.

By means of further example, using my own experience of the Bible Belt - If a black woman were to begin talking to me about how religious privilege affected her specifically as a black woman down here, it would be my place to shut up and LISTEN TO HER no matter what she said or how she phrased it because I pass, so I benefit from white privilege, like it or not. People who know me know I am not "all white people" but I don't create the societal impression of my own appearance either. I need to HEAR HER in order to learn and support her in something that hurts her in ways I cannot understand. That is the only way I get to say I care about the struggles of all women and all people, otherwise I become the hypocrite even if I can relate to the religious oppression and have experienced ethnic prejudice from white people myself. Reminding her that "not all white people" while I am standing right there is making it about me by treating her like she's wrong to not point out that I personally don't do her that way...but it is not about me at that point.

Am I making sense here? gonk

Omnipresent Loiterer

12,850 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Regular 100
The Legendary Guest
Am I making sense here? gonk

No...you aren't...because, using your black woman as an example, it would depend on WHAT she was saying. If she was explaining her experience to me, you're right....It would be ridiculous to say "hey....not all white people are like that." However, no matter how many experiences with white racists she's had, if she's saying something, for example, like "all you white people are the same"...then I'm well within my right to explain that that's not the case. Just because SOME white people may have been racist towards her, doesn't mean that I am being racist, and THAT is why your argument doesn't make sense.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff