Is it Dangerous?

Total Votes:[ 0 ]
This poll closed on February 15, 2005.
No longer accepting new votes.
<< < 1 2 ... 21 22 23 24 >

Deoridhe
Triste Morningstar
BOODASEHCKZ!?!?!1!?1!1/1!/11!/11

Well, he was married with loads of concubines, so I'd bet he got a lot of that. 3nodding

Really?

I thought that Boodists monks weren't allowed to do the nasty. sweatdrop
Deoridhe
LaGaea Nina
Deoridhe
Yeah. Shame it takes until the next lifetime to show up, though, huh?

Eh, sometime Karma shows up in two days, a year, a next lifetime. It is really a Universal react to your action. Sounds strange, doesn't it?

Um, no, it doesn't.

Karma is what connects you to the cycle of rebirth, so it only affects you in the next life. Check out Hinduism and Buddhism; that's where the term karma originates from.

You're thinking of the Law of Return, not Karma.

Umm...I have friends who are Hindu..and the term Hinduism is actually very western.Unfornately, We learn is very western ideals and some what limited. No offense.

When I asked about Karma, I was told this: In a nutshell, Karma happens all the time, but its over all impact doesn't come until you are reborn. But if you find your Dharma (path or job), the karma cyclic nature will be slowed.

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
Triste Morningstar
Deoridhe
Triste Morningstar

Well, he was married with loads of concubines, so I'd bet he got a lot of that. 3nodding

Really?

Oh, the monks aren't, and I think the first Buddha gave up sex in the search for enlightenment, but before he did that he was a Prince and had gorgeous wimmins. Since the battle is against attachment, and sex tends to lead to emotional attachments, the practice for a monk seems rather obvious.

Of course, having said that, Byggha's on her way with an ultra-polite correction. xd
Deoridhe

Of course, having said that, Byggha's on her way with an ultra-polite correction. xd
Shall I fetch my Byaggha Signal?
I'm suprised sometimes at how many people view the Wiccan Rede, the Law of Return, Karma and other such things as a generic Pagan belief.

It's like saying all Pagans are tree hugging hippies.

"Pagans are all nice people because if they do bad things they know it'll come back and bite them in the a**! The law of 3 protects us!"

*snort*
Deoridhe
Triste Morningstar
Deoridhe
Triste Morningstar

Really?

Oh, the monks aren't, and I think the first Buddha gave up sex in the search for enlightenment, but before he did that he was a Prince and had gorgeous wimmins. Since the battle is against attachment, and sex tends to lead to emotional attachments, the practice for a monk seems rather obvious.

Ooooh. No Boodasex?

crying crying crying

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
LaGaea Nina
When I asked about Karma, I was told this: In a nutshell, Karma happens all the time, but its over all impact doesn't come until you are reborn. But if you find your Dharma (path or job), the karma cyclic nature will be slowed.

More, if you live according to your Dharma then you have less Karma, so are closer to escaping the bonds of this world. Buddhism has a different slant on it, though, since the first Buddha wasn't keen on the abuses of the dharma system (the class system, essentially, with women always secondary). Being an equality minded sort of person, he proposed the Eight Fold Path for people to free themselves, which isn't a path of dharma but rather a path of non-attachment.
LaGaea Nina
Deoridhe
LaGaea Nina
Deoridhe
Yeah. Shame it takes until the next lifetime to show up, though, huh?

Eh, sometime Karma shows up in two days, a year, a next lifetime. It is really a Universal react to your action. Sounds strange, doesn't it?

Um, no, it doesn't.

Karma is what connects you to the cycle of rebirth, so it only affects you in the next life. Check out Hinduism and Buddhism; that's where the term karma originates from.

You're thinking of the Law of Return, not Karma.

Umm...I have friends who are Hindu..and the term Hinduism is actually very western.Unfornately, We learn is very western ideals and some what limited. No offense.

Aaah... I was under the impression that there was no 'finding' dharma, it was just... there. You were born into it. With the caste system, right?
Astenwroth
I'm suprised sometimes at how many people view the Wiccan Rede, the Law of Return, Karma and other such things as a generic Pagan belief.

It's like saying all Pagans are tree hugging hippies.

"Pagans are all nice people because if they do bad things they know it'll come back and bite them in the a**! The law of 3 protects us!"

*snort*

A lot of people are ignorant on a lot of things. We can't know everything. can you blame them? Neopaganism is particuarily hard to define because it is very difficult to study academically. They're a demographically diverse group so it's hard to say much of anything about them as a whole. People still have their stereotypes though, and since they don't know any different, that's what they believe (shrugs).
Starlock

A lot of people are ignorant on a lot of things. We can't know everything. can you blame them?

Technicly? Yes I can blame them. Is it fair? Not realy. biggrin

It's kinda funny as I've heard it used many ways.. Mostly as why Christians and others shouldn't feel threatened by it.
Astenwroth
Starlock

A lot of people are ignorant on a lot of things. We can't know everything. can you blame them?

It's kinda funny as I've heard it used many ways.. Mostly as why Christians and others shouldn't feel threatened by it.

eek Wow, Astenworth... I just realized that was YOU. I didn't even recognize you without your usual costume (laughs).
Starlock
Astenwroth
Starlock

eek Wow, Astenworth... I just realized that was YOU. I didn't even recognize you without your usual costume (laughs).

It's my stealth Bible Preacher costume.. I'm on FIRE for Gaia. Next is the red tie and the red pimpin cane. smile

Just felt the need for a change, that and I thought it might be hard to take someone with a pumpkin head seriously.

8,750 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
Astenwroth
Just felt the need for a change, that and I thought it might be hard to take someone with a pumpkin head seriously.
and a goofy grin makes it all the easier to do that, huh, wink
I agree that it can be dangerous if children are going to be wild about it. After all sometimes kids can be eaily decieved with the thought that many people sell religion to others and children buy into it very easily, more than anything else they just want to fit in, as all people can be. So all you have to do is be careful about what you are researching.
Starlock
AciDSniper
It's only dangerous if your a complete idiot who never thinks for your self so you end up joining the fist crazy sect that talks to you. If you can think objectively you should be fine.

(chuckles) I feel that you overestimate the human capacity to think objectively. Humans have distinct thought processes which are recognized by psychologists. One is emotional, one is rational. Freud would divide these into the Id, Ego, and Superego, with the Id being impulsive/emotional and the other two being more rational. Epstien divides them off into the experiential and cognitive self. Everybody has both. It has nothing to do with being an idiot or not being an idiot; everyone has both rational and emotional tendancies and nobody is immune to outside influences.

While we have some control over ourselves, we aren't as in control of ourselves as some would like to believe. It is people who do not understand this who are especially vulnerable to the more dangerous sides of occultist, etc. material (and other potentially 'dangerous' material as well). It's when you think you are invulnerable that you are the most vulnerable. 3nodding Likewise, falling prey to dangerous cults has very little to do with intelligence. If anything, the intelligent are more vulnerable because they are so arrogant and think that it would never happen to them.

I guess I'm just more rational than most people

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces