Welcome to Gaia! ::

(if you quote please edit the quote or put in a spoiler)

hi,
i would love some advice. i'm not sure if what i've posted below constitutes trolling or inciting others and thus against the forum rules; if it does please let me know asap and i'll either remove it or water it down. posts that won't help will include those that quote bible verses to support the traditional christianity that i'm trying to move away from; i've already decided that i don't want it and my reasons are in the spoiler.

so basically i'm absolutely sick of traditional christianity (is this what you call it?). i was raised as christian all my life, taught to go to church, taught that despite jesus advocating love i am supposed to hate homosexuals, taught that women (myself) are rightfully below men and that i must be obedient. taught that i MUST submit to a church even though the beliefs are so antiquated and the churches are, in many instances, corrupt and/or full of internal conflict. made to feel like i HAVE to give my money even though i give it in many other ways, i volunteer outside of church and also give money (outside of church). but even though i do this i am still obligated to pay. and everyone else is going to hell too.

ok anyway i don't mean to bash christianity but the older i get, the more i feel that i can see this 'organisation' from an "outsider's" perspective. i'm tired of the hierarchy. tired of being told that, even though i'm a geology student, i must reject evolution and the real stuff that the rock record actually says. i can no longer sit in a traditional church and feel good, i can't stand listening to some of the preachers and their ridiculous views (sorry again but i heard one well-admired preacher on tv who said that to have a happy relationship, a man needs respect and a woman needs love. that a man doesn't necessarily need love, but he said nothing about a woman needing respect.)

rambled too much in the spoiler but any other (former) (traditional) christians who feel or have felt this way? did you remain within this church group (i'm so sorry, i don't know what you call them in general. but my family is pentecostal if that helps, so the group of christians who literally believe the bible) or did you move to another denomination and which one? did you move to another religion altogether? i'm searching for a group that is open and does not accept the things i've written about. i was thinking of the society of friends and it's extremely appealing from what i've read but i'd like some opinions first before i get more involved. other suggestions either christian/non-christian-based? please help, spirituality is essential to my well-being and i really need it especially at this point of my life. i feel depressed without it. i cannot be spiritual without god, so atheism or anything where god doesn't exist (or exists only as "energy" etc) won't work. thanks!
Hi.

Athelius
so basically i'm absolutely sick of traditional christianity (is this what you call it?). i was raised as christian all my life, taught to go to church, taught that despite jesus advocating love i am supposed to hate homosexuals, taught that women (myself) are rightfully below men and that i must be obedient. taught that i MUST submit to a church even though the beliefs are so antiquated and the churches are, in many instances, corrupt and/or full of internal conflict. made to feel like i HAVE to give my money even though i give it in many other ways, i volunteer outside of church and also give money (outside of church). but even though i do this i am still obligated to pay. and everyone else is going to hell too.

What you're describing is called 'Fundamentalist Christianity'.

Floppy Member

Athelius
hi,
i would love some advice. i'm not sure if what i've posted below constitutes trolling or inciting others and thus against the forum rules; if it does please let me know asap and i'll either remove it or water it down. posts that won't help will include those that quote bible verses to support the traditional christianity that i'm trying to move away from; i've already decided that i don't want it and my reasons are in the spoiler.

ok anyway i don't mean to bash christianity but the older i get, the more i feel that i can see this 'organisation' from an "outsider's" perspective. i'm tired of the hierarchy. tired of being told that, even though i'm a geology student, i must reject evolution and the real stuff that the rock record actually says. i can no longer sit in a traditional church and feel good, i can't stand listening to some of the preachers and their ridiculous views (sorry again but i heard one well-admired preacher on tv who said that to have a happy relationship, a man needs respect and a woman needs love. that a man doesn't necessarily need love, but he said nothing about a woman needing respect.)

rambled too much in the spoiler but any other (former) (traditional) christians who feel or have felt this way? did you remain within this church group (i'm so sorry, i don't know what you call them in general. but my family is pentecostal if that helps, so the group of christians who literally believe the bible) or did you move to another denomination and which one? did you move to another religion altogether? i'm searching for a group that is open and does not accept the things i've written about. i was thinking of the society of friends and it's extremely appealing from what i've read but i'd like some opinions first before i get more involved. other suggestions either christian/non-christian-based? please help, spirituality is essential to my well-being and i really need it especially at this point of my life. i feel depressed without it. i cannot be spiritual without god, so atheism or anything where god doesn't exist (or exists only as "energy" etc) won't work. thanks!

Why can't you be spiritual without a god? Buddhism manages this just fine.

S0nicMinnie's Husband

Blessed Seeker

9,600 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
if you want to stay within the realm of christianity you could look in to christian gnosticism
http://gnosticschristians.com/ note that the site i linked may not be the best and there are a lot more to look at as well as forums and the like.

Magical Investigator

22,875 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Pine Perfection 250
  • Forum Regular 100
Athelius
alternatives to christianity

Oh boy. Here we go.

Alright. Brain is falling asleep so I'll do light refresher reviewing. Not going to list every religion, or every branch of every religion, but I'll touch on the important ones.

Catholicism, Protestantism, Mormonism, Gnosticism, Judaism, Zoroastrianism, Islam (Shia, Sunni, Sufism), Sikhism, Theravada Buddhism, Mahayana Buddhism, Zen, Hinduism, Shinto, Taoism, Confuscianism, Baha'i, Jainism, Vodou, the Santa Muerte cult, the John Frum cult, Scientology, Raelism, Discordianism, Satanism, Wicca, Asatru, Druidism, Shamanism, Rastafari...

And then there are the more general views of god. Theism, Atheism, Antitheism, Nontheism, Transtheism, Deism, Monotheism, Polytheism, Henotheism, Pantheism, Pandeism, Panentheism, Agnosticism, Ignosticism, Apatheism, Omnism...
Athelius
hi,

It sounds like you decide what you believe akin to a person picking what kind of new cell phone they want "I need a cell phone with a touch screen, so this phone won't work."

This is what modern religion has come down to though, it really is this shallow. People treat their religious beliefs identically to the way they behave when they go to a grocery store.

Just goes to show that any spiritual, moral, and existential value that religion used to have has now been destroyed by shallow hedonistic people who have no interest in taking their beliefs seriously. Funny thing is it's not the secularists or atheists destroying religion and turning it into a laughing stock, it's the hedonistic shallow religious believers who have turned religion into a joke.

Floppy Member

SirPuzzle

It sounds like you decide what you believe akin to a person picking what kind of new cell phone they want "I need a cell phone with a touch screen, so this phone won't work."

This is what modern religion has come down to though, it really is this shallow. People treat their religious beliefs identically to the way they behave when they go to a grocery store.

Just goes to show that any spiritual, moral, and existential value that religion used to have has now been destroyed by shallow hedonistic people who have no interest in taking their beliefs seriously. Funny thing is it's not the secularists or atheists destroying religion and turning it into a laughing stock, it's the hedonistic shallow religious believers who have turned religion into a joke.

It's sort of like sampling at a buffet. They pick what looks tasty and if it's not, they ignore it. If they get it to their table and try it and it's not to their liking, they discard it.
The Legendary Guest
SirPuzzle

It's sort of like sampling at a buffet. They pick what looks tasty and if it's not, they ignore it. If they get it to their table and try it and it's not to their liking, they discard it.

Exactly, it's not based upon serious philosophical reflection, it's not based upon dedicating yourself to a set of principles, it's not based upon challenging yourself to make yourself a better person.

Religion for most people these days is all about just pleasing oneself and making oneself more comfortable in the short term. It's hedonistic, and whatever else it is it is very ugly and unattractive.

Floppy Member

SirPuzzle
The Legendary Guest
SirPuzzle

Exactly, it's not based upon serious philosophical reflection, it's not based upon dedicating yourself to a set of principles, it's not based upon challenging yourself to make yourself a better person.

Religion for most people these days is all about just pleasing oneself and making oneself more comfortable in the short term. It's hedonistic, and whatever else it is it is very ugly and unattractive.

It's also about justifying hatred, bigotry and divisiveness. Let's not forget that.

Mewling Consumer

16,100 Points
  • Alchemy Level 3 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Hive Mind 200
If you still like Jesus/YHWH but are dissatisfied with fundamentalist thinking the place you belong is most likely about Unitarian Universalist or possibly a mainline protestant branch. Unitarian Universalists let you believe whatever you want mixing and matching theologies. Mainline protestants have dry sermons but they are fairly reasonable people-they have some female and homosexual clergy. For examples of them you can skim a candidate church's website to see if they are affiliated with one of these: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mainline_Protestant#Denominations
The Society of Friends (which you mentioned), Episcopalians, and United Church of Christ are some of the possibilities.
jesus was the prophet of the great one, but he was not the son. i suggest you read the holy book as the arabs call koran (true word of god would not use filth arabic so it not hundred percent translate) as this has truest word. do not read hadith though, they are evil satan spawn that came from the corrupted kids of his. sunni and shia or both evil and are the cause of all worldly religious hate. never trust them. the great one blesses you with will to look and see, and you will see.
AliKat1988

oh so many..thanks you've helped to point me somewhere to begin! surprised

everyone else (cannot quote you all but i tried to tip i will be broke soon hah) thanks for all the answers, i really appreciate it! thanks for sharing about islam but i'm not really looking for this.. thanks though!
SirPuzzle

"modern religion"? from the beginning christians have always divided themselves, why are you acting like it's something new? and are you basically saying you support things like slavery? because if religion hadn't been destroyed by "shallow hedonistic people who have no interest in taking their beliefs seriously" the trans-atlantic slave trade would still be legal. we'd have to stone people all the time too. and women would suffer even more. so i guess we should really be thanking god for shallow religious believers..? i thank him, and i would hope that someday you can see it that way too.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff