Welcome to Gaia! ::

Natas Ferret
SilverSkyDragon
OK, now that's a bad thing, isn't it?

I don't know. I've never been to this hell. I have no clue what it would be like.

So read about what it's like, and you'll know.

[qoute]
Quote:
Why? Because he'll make you perfect? Because you'll actually be happy? You seem to misunderstand what Heaven is.
No, it's because through my studies, I have come to conclude that this specific god is either one of many, or is a Frakenstein creation of many other gods, rendering him more a false one than a true one. That, and he's a contradiction to himself when comparing the general bible to itself. Unless, of course, you get lost in the meanings and allegories. Which I think is much better.
This is leading away from the subject. I'm asking why you don't want to go to the Christian Heaven, and you're saying that it's basically because you think that Christianity is wrong.

Quote:
How about because we don't want them going to Hell?
It's not your fault for someone else's failure.
No, but that doesn't mean that I just let them walk into a death trap.
Mr. Dragon, as I said, the odds dictate that you are no more likely to be correct than anyone else. The only reason that you think you are correct is because of faith. Now, given that someone of a different religion is equally likely to be correct, does it seem fair to try to take them away from it since you have no actual proof to butress your claim and tilt the odds in your religion's favor?
SilverSkyDragon
So read about what it's like, and you'll know.
See, that's the funny part. Because I have been reading about it. In fact I've even studied a bit of Revelation and Isaiah (for comparison, of course), and I still don't have a clue. However, if you're going to take things literally, or apply fiction (again Divine Comedy gives you the notion of suffering in Hell), then sure, yeah it could be bad. However, I'm not worried about it, why? Because I'll gladly live in such damnation.
Quote:
This is leading away from the subject. I'm asking why you don't want to go to the Christian Heaven, and you're saying that it's basically because you think that Christianity is wrong.
No, I'm saying that your idea of this heaven is different from mine. Therefore, since neither one of us can prove one way or the other, why should I give a s**t?

Quote:
No, but that doesn't mean that I just let them walk into a death trap.
But you can't be 100% sure that it is a death trap. As well I can't be sure it isn't.
That's the ******** of it: since neither one of us can prove it, why bother?
Tangled Up In Blue
Oh, now I know what this is. It's the wager: "If there is a God and you believe in him, you go to heaven. If there is a God and you deny him, you go to hell. If there is no God, it's irrelevant whether you believe or not as nothing happens. Given this, doesn't it make more sense to just minimize your risk and believe in God?"

That's not what I'm saying.

I'm not sure if y'all realize what I'm getting at here (I've kinda confused myself at times... round and round he goes! sweatdrop ) The point of this thread was asking why people still debate religion when it leads to conflict. Natas Ferret said that since we can't physically percieve the subject of religion, it doesn't matter. What I'm saying is that it does matter, because whether you believe it or not doesn't affect the fact that it will affect you. I'm not trying to convert anybody or anything, I'm just tyring to get you to realize that just because you don't believe something doesn't mean that it won't affect you. I might not believe in other religions, but that doesn't mean that they won't affect me if I'm wrong about them. (Now then, what was I getting at here... crud...)

Now then, here's my question: do you care if the results of your actions today mean that you'll be eternally miserable or happy? (Not go to Hell or Heaven or whatever, you'll just be miserable or happy all around.)
SilverSkyDragon
Now then, here's my question: do you care if the results of your actions today mean that you'll be eternally miserable or happy? (Not go to Hell or Heaven or whatever, you'll just be miserable or happy all around.)
I've been doing my best to live my life by the Golden Rule. I don't see why I need to do any more than that for anything.
I know that when I die, at least I will have lived my life to the best I could envision. I need no gurantee of a paradise afterwards.
You only live once, might as well enjoy it. (same reason I use for my being a smoker)
So, really. I don't care. At all.
Hell is irrelevant because the chance that I will wind up there is the same regardless of what I believe.
From what I can tell, hell appears to be a place where there is weeping and gnashing of teeth.

Well, guess what? There's weeping and gnashing of teeth here, too.
Tangled Up In Blue
Hell is irrelevant because the chance that I will wind up there is the same regardless of what I believe.

So you think that it's best to just not even try to be happy?
SilverSkyDragon
Tangled Up In Blue

It's fine to try to be happy here, but the chances of being happy in the afterlife are the same regardless. I personally don't believe in one. You believe in hell. Neither of us is more likely to be correct, so I don't worry about it.
SilverSkyDragon
I don't see how a variation of an afterlife would impact my happiness.
If it saddens you that you're going to die, perhaps you need to stregthen yourself about the mortality of it all.
Natas Ferret
If it saddens you that you're going to die, perhaps you need to stregthen yourself about the mortality of it all.

I'm not sad that I'm going to die; I just like knowing what happens when I do. And PLEASE don't take this into an argument about how I know, because that's not what this thread is about...
SilverSkyDragon
I'm not sad that I'm going to die; I just like knowing what happens when I do. And PLEASE don't take this into an argument about how I know, because that's not what this thread is about...
But you have just claimed to have precognition AND knowledge of a metaphorical afterlife, that is quite an amazing thing that should be questioned.
I, for one, know that when I die, my body will be cremated. And then I know that I will be dead, as I will no longer be living. Thus, I won't be alive, because I will have died.
This brings to mind one of my favorite Bible Quotes:

The fool has said in his heart, 'There is no God.' They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none who does good. -Psalms 14:1
Dermezel

The fool has said in his heart, 'There is no God.' They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none who does good. -Psalms 14:1

... was that actually directly relevant to this conversation? sweatdrop
Dermezel

*Blinks* Dermezel?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces