Welcome to Gaia! ::

Why are some people compelled to insult other people to get the point of their own beliefs across?

I don't just mean gay bashers, I mean people saying that Jesus is stupid, or saying that religion is constricting, or that someone's moral/immoral decisions are stupid while bring up their own opinion.

If people can't respect other people's beliefs, maybe they shouldn't be allowed to push their own at others' expense.
i agree with you, people should respect others before expecting the same respect back. its cheezy but people should treat others like they want to be treated. everyone has different opinions and that means people will be offended by those opinions but people should be nicer about it or just a little more respectful. everyone should be open to other peoples opinion.
Sometimes people don't insult intentionally, it just comes of insulting to that particular person because they have a persecution complex or are hypersensitive. True, most probably don't have this problem, but I just wanted to bring up this little exception... 3nodding
Starlock
Sometimes people don't insult intentionally, it just comes of insulting to that particular person because they have a persecution complex or are hypersensitive. True, most probably don't have this problem, but I just wanted to bring up this little exception... 3nodding

your right actually, i didn't even think about that smile
I no wat u mean i hate it when people say they're point then when u want to say urs they dont want to no and instead of listin to wat u hav to say they already think that u r wrong stressed ! and to prove that they r right they get all angry an get mean just coz u dont agree wit them.
u r right though some dont mean it but a whole lot do
Syllie
Why are some people compelled to insult other people to get the point of their own beliefs across?

Oh, single me out, why don't you...

Syllie
I don't just mean gay bashers, I mean people saying that Jesus is stupid, or saying that religion is constricting, or that someone's moral/immoral decisions are stupid while bring up their own opinion.

It's more often than not they actually believe they are right and anything that contradicts their beliefs are just falsehoods spouted by imbeciles.

Lord knows that's how I feel, half of the time.

Syllie
If people can't respect other people's beliefs, maybe they shouldn't be allowed to push their own at others' expense.

Oh, please. I never read in any essay that intolerance or general asshattery was to be censored, and I must admit that in America, stupidity is definitely not at a premium. However, nobody's saying that you can't mock the mocker's beliefs. And, in the words of a certain Songlian, "Nobody ever said you didn't have the right to be passably annoyed at something." It's paraphrased, of course, but I think it's close enough.
Quote:

If whole world was tolerant, then we would all die of starvation from lack of wars.

Seriously: yeah, drastic intolerance and bashing someone for believing certain thing is idiotic, altough "religion is constricting" is rather an obvious truth than bashing. wink

Well, at least religions like christianity.

Sarcastic Bibliophile

31,600 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Attending the Ball 25
  • Happy Birthday! 100
Syllie

I think some people just get off on insulting others. I also think society has become close-minded and illogical but hey that's just my opinion. I try to stay away from the serious minded debates as when I offer a conflicting view I'm told I'm wrong and some sort of idiot. (namely by those on Gaia). I wish people were more easy going and non-insulting about subject, especially religion.
Syllie

That's something that has been bothering me too. I'm not sure why they do it, but I would like to know...
My beliefs are subject to change. I discuss them in hope of learning something, or in hope that someone else will learn something. I just get frusterated when Christians for example use stuff like, " We're not meant to understand. " or " Because the Bible/God said so. " or something just completely nonsensical.

Here is a quote I believe in, forgot who said it:

" Once a mind has been stretched, it never regains it's orginal dimension. "

If I can get someone to take the time to consider a new idea, then I've helped change them just a little. After that, they're never completely the same.. if you continue to learn, you continue to change.. eventually you may become a completely different person.

I've changed a lot.
i think most people who love bashing others' "stuff" don't care a bit if they are bashed in return. so "bashers" are with their own lot. they will keep bashing and bashing until they tire themselves out!
I agree. People need to get lives and stop raggin on others. Hell, I don believe in God, think Gays should be let to marry, and believe most organized religions are hypocritical. I get ragged all the bleedin time, but I don rag others who hate Gays and think Muslims should rule the world. (jus an example) People need to respect other's opinions, even if they don believe them personally.
Hmph. So a few ba'hai or hindu show up and diss your faith. So What? Why do you care what a couple of random people on the 'net say about you?
It's not just that they're insulting me, it's also totally unneccessary to insult beliefs because no one can change those. There are other ways to let people know about what you believe in or don't believe in without saying so at other people's expense.

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
Syllie
it's also totally unneccessary to insult beliefs because no one can change those.

People change beliefs all the time. I've changed my beliefs multiple times, and continue to as new evidence comes in.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff