Welcome to Gaia! ::

Brothern

A much more complex version of that. But, yes. As for testing, I used to think the same. But consider:

- What do we do about internet privacy vs national security?
- How do we handle rouge states like North Korea that have nuclear warheads?
- Ought we regulate sugary/fatty foods? How about legalizing pot?
- What do we do about those who refuse to vaccinate their kids, putting us all at risk of disease?
- Should we perform genetic modifications to humans? Animals?
- When we become able: should we control Earth's weather, or colonize Mars?
- How should we treat animals that we know have self-awareness? [Great apes (chimps, gorillas, etc.), dolphins, ravens and a few other species have demonstrated that they are self-aware. Essentially, the individuals of those species can tell you who "me" is and who "you"' are. Several very talented chimps/gorillas have even learned and become quite proficient at human sign language.]

... those types of ethical questions are very new. I doubt there has been much thoughts or testing put into them. Those types of questions were never foreseen by the Israelites who created the Christian God. Heck, those tribes still thought the Earth was flat.

Ah, yes you are right. With the advance of technology these question arise.

Brothern

We can agree to disagree.

Fair enough smile

Tainiae's Partner

Amorous Ladykiller

Not a religion-hater or defender. Just a content fence-sitter.

Beloved Lunatic

I hate religion but don't necessarily hate religious people. I do hate a lot of people though.
Demonique Affection
Are there any of you here who are not religion haters or religious people bashers? Do any of you here just think that you can't see the science adding up and you just don't believe in a higher power? Because I've always wanted to meet an atheist like that.

They do exist, albeit, they're usually called agnostics, and those suck.
The answer is yes.

Dapper Dabbler

7,700 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Citizen 200
I'm a secular humanist, and I take a "live and let live" approach to religion. People believing in god(s) doesn't bother me, and it can be a great source of comfort to them. The only time I'll speak out against it is if religious beliefs attempt to infringe upon human rights. But I'll do that with any opinion I find to be harmful, not just religious. Do I qualify?
Miss Marinara Sauce
I'm a secular humanist, and I take a "live and let live" approach to religion. People believing in god(s) doesn't bother me, and it can be a great source of comfort to them. The only time I'll speak out against it is if religious beliefs attempt to infringe upon human rights. But I'll do that with any opinion I find to be harmful, not just religious. Do I qualify?

Are you an atheist?

Dapper Dabbler

7,700 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Citizen 200
Lucky~9~Lives
Miss Marinara Sauce

Are you an atheist?

Yeah, secular humanism typically falls under the atheism umbrella, and I consider myself to be one.

Newbie Noob

Demonique Affection
Are there any of you here who are not religion haters or religious people bashers? Do any of you here just think that you can't see the science adding up and you just don't believe in a higher power? Because I've always wanted to meet an atheist like that.
I'm sure there is one around like that. . . Not this one.

Demonic Prophet

19,665 Points
  • Shady Hands Squad 250
  • Megathread 100
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
DarkSohisohi
Demonique Affection

I'm sure there is too, in fact this thread has shown me a very small number.

Demonic Prophet

19,665 Points
  • Shady Hands Squad 250
  • Megathread 100
Miss Marinara Sauce

You do qualify! It is very nice to meet you.

Demonic Prophet

19,665 Points
  • Shady Hands Squad 250
  • Megathread 100
ButterflyInTheStarrySky
Demonique Affection

They do exist, albeit, they're usually called agnostics, and those suck.

No no, there is a difference between agnostic and atheist. Atheist are the ones who don't believe in gods, God, goddesses, or any higher power (not even the flying spaghetti monster). Agnostics are the ones who neither believe nor disbelieve. They are the ones who refuse to take a side without scientific evidence placed before them on why they should pick that side, basically.

The people who aren't angry and hate filled are called "nice".

Newbie Noob

Demonique Affection
DarkSohisohi
Demonique Affection
I'm sure there is too, in fact this thread has shown me a very small number.
Good that there are few, they would make poor soldiers.

Blessed Prophet

6,850 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Regular 100
Henry Hobo-Master

Atheist here. I was born and raised on LSD.
That explains a lot.
Demonique Affection
No no, there is a difference between agnostic and atheist. Atheist are the ones who don't believe in gods, God, goddesses, or any higher power (not even the flying spaghetti monster). Agnostics are the ones who neither believe nor disbelieve.

Some agnostics (agnostic theists) believe; the rest (agnostic atheists) lack belief. Agnostics merely don't claim to know (with certainty) whether a god exists or not.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff