• Generous 100
Can you tell me more about your belief?
Lorelei1992
Anglican Christian (Church of England)

10,275 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Member 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
I'm a reform Jew. Basically a liberal version of Judaism. But, I've actually been feeling more and more religious as I age, and been thinking a little about exploring modern orthodoxy. There are a ton of different branches of Judaism. Reform, conservative, reconstructionist, humanistic, orthodoxy, etc. And, within the branch of orthodoxy there are even more. Lubavitcher, hasidic, modern, traditional, ultra, etc. (My aunt and her family are ultra. That's just too extreme in my opinion.) Contrary to what many believe, even with other Jews, you don't have to believe in G-d in order to be one. Although, most do believe in G-d. (Including me.) We can be very opinionated, and challenge various texts including the Torah. Torah literally means 'Law' and is our bible. There are many interpretations of it. Some spend their whole lives studying it. It's kind of like what they say, that we're a people of the book. There are 613 mitzvot or commandments. But, most people think of the 10 'main' ones. A mitzvah (plural version is mitzvot) can also mean good deed. We have blessings for almost everything. Including seeing a rainbow, trying something new, going to the bathroom, etc. We don't have to say them though. Our day of rest or 'Sabbath' or what we call Shabbat is Friday night at sunset until Saturday night. We have a lunar calendar, so all holidays start at night. We have quite a lot of holidays. Non Jews tend to think Hanukkah is our main one, but Yom Kippur is. It's a day of mourning, fasting, thinking about our sins from the past year, and becoming more in touch with our spiritual selves. Most of our holidays are kind of food oriented, so it's a bit unusual. We have a New Year's, and another one for the trees. The most recent holiday is going on now, which is Passover. It lasts for 8 days. There are lots of dietary restrictions during it.

Sorry, if this was too long...

Blessed Receiver

honeybutterflies

Catholic
derived from the greek word katholikos meaning universal.
The Catholic church is the universal church that teaches Christianity.

some fast facts I know about the Catholic church:

> It has been around for more than 2,000 years
> The Bible was compiled by the Catholic Church
> In the Mass, Christ’s Sacrifice on the Cross is made present
> We believe in Christ's true presence in the Holy Eucharist

May I ask what is yours? smile

Tipsy Regular

honeybutterflies
heart I want to learn about them.
biggrin I will tip your post for helping me.

wiccan
honeybutterflies
heart I want to learn about them.
biggrin I will tip your post for helping me.

Judaism. Well, to be precise, I'll be converting.

Friendly Citizen

20,200 Points
  • Miasmal Lake Defender 250
  • Pine Perfection 250
  • Determined Egg Hunter 150
honeybutterflies
Can you tell me more about your belief?
Lorelei1992
Anglican Christian (Church of England)

This should tell you everything.

Hygienic Entrepreneur

7,550 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Bidding War 100
honeybutterflies
Can you tell me more about purgatory?

Empress Umbreon
I'm a Catholic! Feel free to ask any questions you might have.

We believe that Purgatory is the state in which you're not yet pure enough to enter Heaven, but have the ability to do so. You can't enter Hell from Purgatory- the idea is that following death, you go through purification before rising to Heaven to achieve the holiness necessary.

"Purgatory is the state of those who die in God’s friendship, assured of their eternal salvation, but who still have need of purification to enter into the happiness of heaven. Because of the communion of saints, the faithful who are still pilgrims on earth are able to help the souls in purgatory by offering prayers in suffrage for them, especially the Eucharistic sacrifice. They also help them by almsgiving, indulgences, and works of penance."
Empress Umbreon
honeybutterflies
Can you tell me more about purgatory?

Empress Umbreon
I'm a Catholic! Feel free to ask any questions you might have.

We believe that Purgatory is the state in which you're not yet pure enough to enter Heaven, but have the ability to do so. You can't enter Hell from Purgatory- the idea is that following death, you go through purification before rising to Heaven to achieve the holiness necessary.

"Purgatory is the state of those who die in God’s friendship, assured of their eternal salvation, but who still have need of purification to enter into the happiness of heaven. Because of the communion of saints, the faithful who are still pilgrims on earth are able to help the souls in purgatory by offering prayers in suffrage for them, especially the Eucharistic sacrifice. They also help them by almsgiving, indulgences, and works of penance."

I myself have a question. I was baptized as a baby in the Catholic church and went through everything, even Confirmation. I think I should have held off being Confirmed though. But I digress. I am going to be converting to Judaism. According to Catholicism, will I be going to hell? Just an fyi Jews do not believe in a hell but I am just wanting to know what the Catholic church says. G-d bless you.
I'm Eclectic Pagan.
Shamanism, though I've called myself a Heathan

Hilarious Hellraiser

14,950 Points
  • Bidding War 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
honeybutterflies
Atheist means person with no religion. Not believing in anything can't be religion.

Actually what you are describing is Agnostic.
I got some great pseudo religious cults for you... since we all love the nuts of the bunch!
There is the Peoples Temple with Jim Jones. He moved all those people out to South America, away from their families, and essentially controlled them to death.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
The ever famous Heaven's Gate, who their leader Marshall Applewhite had convinced everyone to leave their corporeal bodies to ascend to heaven riding on a UFO behind the comet Hale Bopp. They poisoned themselves, forever cementing their history as a suicide cult. But the manner in which they were discovered was strange, in their San Deigo Compound they were all found wearing Nike tennis shoes, black jumpsuits, with purple cloths draped over them, neatly laid down. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
And then there is the Japanese terrorist cult Aum Shinrikyo. Their blend of extremist and apocalyptic ideas lead to their members conducting a Sarin Gas attack on a Tokyo Subway.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

All these groups took their religious views a little to far, even to the extent of committing murder.
But this pales in comparison to the Spanish Inquisition, The Crusades, the witch hunts and countless other wars waged in the name of "God."

My favorite quote about Religion was from the father of communism, Karl Marx."Religion is the Opiate of the Masses."

gummie_sourball's Husband

Witty Fairy

Noob

I'm a Hellenic and acknowledge the Greek Gods.

Generous Trader

12,925 Points
  • Divine Donator 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Generous 100
"Watch out for false prophets. They come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ferocious wolves. - Matthew 7:15

Kelso The Great

Generous Trader

12,925 Points
  • Divine Donator 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Generous 100
Oh, I see.
Do Buddhist believe in heaven or hell? If yes, If there is no existence of God, then on what condition is the existence of heaven and hell based?

SylverStar
there are different types of atheists...such as humanists, Buddhists, and those that follow Richard Dawkins. Buddhism is not necessarily an atheistic religion. I have met many Buddhists that believe in god/gods.

I myself don't follow any religion but consider myself spiritual. I've always held pantheistic views and the more I read about agnosticism...I would consider myself a hard agnostic.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff