Welcome to Gaia! ::

Right- I do think that the woman's repenting would have been enough without the crucifixion. Though she did say she "wanted to go through what Christ went through in repenting for all of our sins."
Taking out one's eye doesn't seem to serve any purpose other than making a fellow blind, but self-flagellation is a bit different. It can be an excellent tool of self-discipline, teaching one to overcome fear and pain more easily. I would imagine that a greater degree of self-control would be productive to the denial of sin. That's a lot of 'self-'s.
idhan
Taking out one's eye doesn't seem to serve any purpose other than making a fellow blind, but self-flagellation is a bit different. It can be an excellent tool of self-discipline, teaching one to overcome fear and pain more easily. I would imagine that a greater degree of self-control would be productive to the denial of sin.

That's bit of a stretch. Peopel with high pain tolerance =/= peopl with high self-control
AyanamiRei

That's bit of a stretch. Peopel with high pain tolerance =/= peopl with high self-control

I don't mean to suggest that having a high tolerance for pain is the same as having self-control. I suggest that the process of self-flagellation has the potential to strengthen both. A high pain tolerance =/= the force of will to whip yourself for an extended period of time. Any pain tolerance is eventually exceeded, and that's when it becomes useful. I speak from personal experience, as little as that may be worth.
*shudders* that's gross
Quote:

AyanamiRei wrote:

I don't mean to suggest that having a high tolerance for pain is the same as having self-control. I suggest that the process of self-flagellation has the potential to strengthen both. A high pain tolerance =/= the force of will to whip yourself for an extended period of time. Any pain tolerance is eventually exceeded, and that's when it becomes useful. I speak from personal experience, as little as that may be worth.

Thank you but I'll stick with Aspirin. Pain serves to alert you that something has gone wrong with your body - a kind of danger signal. I doubt if trying to raise pain tolerance would do anyone any real good. High levels of pain tend to release opiod like chemicals in the brain - but this only damps the pain messages down.

You can acquire self discipline by less painful methods like learning to play piano or some other skill.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff