Welcome to Gaia! ::

BlackBeltMan
I've heard of crazy stuff like this multiple times. As a Neurosurgeon he should feel bad because this is part of his expertise and as such he needs to know that this could be literally a figment of his dying brain

I think the point is that as a Neurosurgeon he does know better and he's saying that explanations such as that one do not fit in this situation. As far as he knows there is no scientific explanation for the experience he had. While this certainly does not prove that heaven exists, it does create an interesting question for science to answer. Writing it off as you have done would be intellectually dishonest. heart
JediDillon
Riahlize
Lmao
Aside from the obvious intellectual dishonesty this neurosurgeon is providing, even if he wasn't, he's using the argument from ignorance.
“Nothing in my medical field explains what happened, therefore what I saw was real, therefore heaven exists.”
talk2hand

Well being a neurosurgeon he is alot smarter then you or me.

That's a joke, right? eek

Greedy Consumer

He should know people hallucinate but I suppose crazy peopel cant know they are crazy unless they have been sane before after being crazy and can recognize when they are going crazy. But I had vivid dreams, and that memory of his could have been when he was coming out of coma, or when he was going into coma, rather than throughout the whole coma it occuring.

But first we should figure out if hibernating bears dream or not, if they do then why cant this guy dream while in a coma,

also its simply why he didnt need brain activity, everything shut down for a while he doesnt Need to wake up in a few hours, so it stops sending signals everywhere in his body or something, where is experience of dreams stored in the brain anyways? If he cant say then he is absolutely full of it or delusional from his coma.

Greedy Consumer

Riahlize
JediDillon
Riahlize
Lmao
Aside from the obvious intellectual dishonesty this neurosurgeon is providing, even if he wasn't, he's using the argument from ignorance.
“Nothing in my medical field explains what happened, therefore what I saw was real, therefore heaven exists.”
talk2hand

I would say alot more dedicated to understanding, thats all it takes is memorization of facts to make people think you are a genius, which isnt what being a genius is about.
oHoN
BlackBeltMan
I've heard of crazy stuff like this multiple times. As a Neurosurgeon he should feel bad because this is part of his expertise and as such he needs to know that this could be literally a figment of his dying brain

I think the point is that as a Neurosurgeon he does know better and he's saying that explanations such as that one do not fit in this situation. As far as he knows there is no scientific explanation for the experience he had.

As a neurosurgeon, he should be exploring (and/or enlisting his peers in exploring) the reasons behind the phenomena. Instead of declaring that there is "absolutely no way" the current science can explain it, he needs to show the data by which this battery of sensory inputs is completely impossible according to current science.

In particular, what is described as the cause of his coma is fulminant bacterial meningitis, something that almost never strikes adults. Here, then, is a valid line of inquiry. Could meningitis produce cortical dysfunction of this sort? Could other face-punching diseases? This is what he should be moving toward.

Not doing crap like this. This is what I mean by lobotomising the scientific method with a longsword.

Sparkly Shapeshifter

12,950 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Person of Interest 200
Let's pretend that he did have a spiritual journey to some magical place.
What proof do we have that it's Heaven?

Greedy Consumer

Bad Noize
We Are Organisms
Riahlize
JediDillon
Riahlize
Lmao
talk2hand

I would say alot more dedicated to understanding, thats all it takes is memorization of facts to make people think you are a genius, which isnt what being a genius is about.

The stupidity of the above post makes me cringe
Some people have called me a genius or very smart (or wise), so I would happen to know what impresses people, and it tends to be understanding of different facts together. Which basically means motivation and memorization. inb4 u say u dont care, why quote me b***h

Tainiae's Partner

Amorous Ladykiller

Riahlize
Pseudo-Onkelos
Riahlize
Pseudo-Onkelos
Riahlize

And evidence transcends subjective experience.

No it doesn't.

Yes it does. Demonstrable evidence can be safely established as more reliable than a subjective
experience.

That's irrelevant.

Why and how?
People tend to believe what they want to believe regardless of demonstrable evidence to the contrary.

Enduring Conversationalist

6,750 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Marathon 300
oHoN
BlackBeltMan

I think the point is that as a Neurosurgeon he does know better and he's saying that explanations such as that one do not fit in this situation. As far as he knows there is no scientific explanation for the experience he had. While this certainly does not prove that heaven exists, it does create an interesting question for science to answer. Writing it off as you have done would be intellectually dishonest. heart
True I just wrote it off, but let's be honest here, the higher your degree of education the less likely you'll believe in any religion, let alone Christianity. Sure there will be some abnormalities in the data, such as 1. Strange life occurances ( as observed here ) and 2. If you obtained any amount of education in a biased setting ex. a private Christian college. Also, heaven may be interpreted differently as according to the most notable religious influences in a culture, in this one being Christianity. If he were an African, Chinese or Indian Neurosurgeon i'm relatively certain that his perception of heaven when his brain was being choked into a sort of Nirvana would have been different... heart

Greedy Consumer

Bad Noize
We Are Organisms
Bad Noize
We Are Organisms
Riahlize

The stupidity of the above post makes me cringe
Some people have called me a genius or very smart (or wise), so I would happen to know what impresses people, and it tends to be understanding of different facts together. Which basically means motivation and memorization. inb4 u say u dont care, why quote me b***h

My apologies
I quoted the wrong person
I was talking about JediDillon
Ok, yeah, I understand that lol.
Excellent.

Too bad I'm gonna rot in Purgatory.
Kaworu 17
Excellent.

Too bad I'm gonna rot in Purgatory.

I thought that more a waiting room.
Fermionic
Kaworu 17