Welcome to Gaia! ::

that is a valid point i give you that.. but you can't really say that the lds church is the TRUE church( there might not even be a true church and we've all been following the wrong thing) you wont know til you're dead. i personally think there is no "GOD"....but .. i do believe there is something higher than us simply because we cannot explain certain aspects of life and personal experiences. and yes i know i can pray to god and jesus for the answer.. but what if? like i said there is no god that he is merely a figment of someones immagination that has been passed on generation to generation. and we accept it as being true. to say the truth i dont really think there should be a church cuz aren't we supposed to worship god and not a church?
nocturnal_angel
consider this example to put in perspective. say you called me a s**c and i didnt; want to be called one( personally it wouldn't faze me ...... too much stare ) so by saying that if a person doesnt accept it then there's no harm done right? not likely.. even though i didn't accept the title of "s**c" there was still the initial disrespect from calling me that to begin with.
Ok. The diffrence is when you die, two things happen. 1, it's pretty much like it is now. Your here, with all the others who have died, and you can make up your own mind and everything...but you can't relieve yourself from desires(i.e. sex, smoking...any additions that you could solve). 2.You see what you want to see. If you don't want to be baptised, you won't even know someone does it for you. However, if you realize you want to be, then you wait for it. Eternal progression...you can't progress without baptism. After you die and realize that you can't progress, you might change your mind. Again, it's a just in case. It should be taken as an insult because you won't even notice it if you don't care.
The farmer
bboyauron
That made no ******** sense...and im sure you dont know a lot of gay guys...

Orlando FL, during the summer I work at Disney World. I know litterlly Hundreds of Gays.
you say that the LDS church is a brainwashing church because the members all explain questions the same way. I say that if you use that argument against any group of people, it holds true.. I used gays because of your sig.
in any group there are basic truths that nearly everyone agrees with. all the questions on Gaia about mormons are those type. Then there are questions that cause disagreement, most gaians wouldn't even be interested in stuff like that. is that not true with all groups? Homosexuals included?

so you have no different opinions?
and...um...many many homosexual people have many differnt opinions!
It is your church that makes you think that people all agree on things.
sorry i had to make a slight edit on this.

nocturnal_angel
consider this example to put in perspective. say you called me a s**c and i didnt; want to be called one( personally it wouldn't faze me ...... too much stare ) so by saying that if a person doesnt accept it then there's no harm done right? not likely.. even though i didn't accept the title of "s**c" there was still the initial disrespect from calling me that to begin with.
ok ithought about this for a sec and here's soemthing better... ok you are lds right? you want to be batpised mormon right? so if i came to your grave and baptised you (who knows what religion) wouldn't you feel slightly upset considering that you felt confident that your church was right? cuz you found this to be whqt you have "faith" in. so why not let people be happy knowing or "believing" their church is right.
nocturnal_angel
sorry i had to make a slight edit on this.

nocturnal_angel
ok ithought about this for a sec and here's soemthing better... ok you are lds right? you want to be batpised mormon right? so if i came to your grave and baptised you (who knows what religion) wouldn't you feel slightly upset considering that you felt confident that your church was right? cuz you found this to be whqt you have "faith" in. so why not let people be happy knowing or "believing" their church is right.

after your dead, you might change your mind. Again, I wouldn't notcie it because I won't be looking for it. The dead only look to the living and thier doings if they please.
But, you have your beliefs. After all, there's no proof for me to say that the dead won't notice the living.
And truthfully, if someone came to baptise me out of what they really believed, I might think "hm, ok, that's nice, at least they are worried about me", but I would disregaurd it. My parents are catholic, and when I joined the church, they were very worried about my soul, and thought I would go to hell. They care. I care. Baptisms are done out of love, not disrespect.
And the baptisms arn't done in a public place. They are done in the temple. A sacred place where the dead who do not believe or are not baptised cannot go. So....technically, that's semi-proff that you won't find out. Then again, you can believe against that too, you know.
Disney Princess
nocturnal_angel
Ok. The diffrence is when you die, two things happen. 1, it's pretty much like it is now. Your here, with all the others who have died, and you can make up your own mind and everything...but you can't relieve yourself from desires(i.e. sex, smoking...any additions that you could solve). 2.You see what you want to see. If you don't want to be baptised, you won't even know someone does it for you. However, if you realize you want to be, then you wait for it. Eternal progression...you can't progress without baptism. After you die and realize that you can't progress, you might change your mind. Again, it's a just in case. It should be taken as an insult because you won't even notice it if you don't care.

I will try to spell it out for you very simply as to why this is so disrespectful. It basically says that nothing that person believed in while living mattered, therefore a large part of their life didn't matter. I know I'd be annoyed enough to come back with that kinda thing.
BloodedMary
I will try to spell it out for you very simply as to why this is so disrespectful. It basically says that nothing that person believed in while living mattered, therefore a large part of their life didn't matter. I know I'd be annoyed enough to come back with that kinda thing.

Do you know how short life really is? Look at it in the spec of eternity. Trust me, after you die, this won't be an issue unless you want it to be. What do you mean come back? As in the resurection? Or as in reincarnation?
Disney Princess
BloodedMary

Do you know how short life really is? Look at it in the spec of eternity. Trust me, after you die, this won't be an issue unless you want it to be. What do you mean come back? As in the resurection? Or as in reincarnation?

As in a very angry zombie.

Do you still not see why this could very easily (me included here) be construed as disrespectful to the person? If nothing else the other people still living (even if you happen to be right, which no one has an idea on since most people don't come back from the dead to talk about it at length).
BloodedMary
Disney Princess
BloodedMary

Do you still not see why this could very easily (me included here) be construed as disrespectful to the person? If nothing else the other people still living (even if you happen to be right, which no one has an idea on since most people don't come back from the dead to talk about it at length).

Well, that' why these things are done in the temple. The church is based on faith, as all churches are. Faith, but you can pray and receive answers. Trust me, I get alot more slack about being mormon for numerous amounts of things, such as this.
Instead of being insulted, try thinking of it as a 'just in case' thing. If your alive, then just be glad that there's a church out there that believes it's the truth and loving everyone enough to try and save them too....but without the screaming in your face deal.
you're missing the principle of what i want to say peopel are happy and content with what they delieve i mean yes it's thoughtful that you want them to "be saved" but to them they are allready "saved" that is why they were baptised in THIER religion. i mean coem on how would you like it if i was to say that MY church is the true church and if you don't join it well then you're SOL you're going to hell ( ok maybe not to that extent) you can't go to heaven and be saved.
sorry i have have to slightly disagree with the whole love for everyone. i mean ( ok tell me if i'm wrong/forgive me) but tell me do you think the church would accept an arabic prophet? sorry but i gto alot of discrimination form mormons being that i wasn't mormon or caucasian.
Disney Princess
BloodedMary
Disney Princess
BloodedMary

Well, that' why these things are done in the temple. The church is based on faith, as all churches are. Faith, but you can pray and receive answers. Trust me, I get alot more slack about being mormon for numerous amounts of things, such as this.
Instead of being insulted, try thinking of it as a 'just in case' thing. If your alive, then just be glad that there's a church out there that believes it's the truth and loving everyone enough to try and save them too....but without the screaming in your face deal.

Well, if we are to like "just in case" things, how about giving you a Buddhist funeral, heck why not a pagan wedding, you know, just in case?
i will tell you this by actually arguing /debating wtih me i have gained much respect for you and you have done a good job of proving soem points... i jsut haven't been convinced yet.. but thats soemthign i'll have to do on my own i guess

Uta's King

Interstellar Pirate

The thing is...there are a good number of mormons who DO scream in your face about being in the wrong church, even if that is not representative of the general population it can not be said that it does not happen. So at this point it is not only baptising the dead but looking down upon the living.

Here's a comment that is completely out of nowhere...those things you wear to baptise dead are itchy! :shudder:
sweatdrop
The garments? Mine weren't itchy.. but they went super fast, and I think they guy liked dunking all the girls repeatedly fast so they couldn't breathe.
Most of all I liked the temple's bathrooms gonk They were... .. godly ;_;

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces