Welcome to Gaia! ::

Here is a quote from... somewhere. Do you agree or disagree with the contents? Discuss.

"Would an all-intelligent, all-knowing, all-powerful god have any care for the name used in his worship? Would a god command the harm of another when his justice can be served without your aid? Simply do what is right and good for the benefit of your species, and whatever higher power exists will reward you for your stewardship."

Bonus: whoever can find out where the quote was taken from I have a special surprise for you (well some of you might know already)
bogosghost1
Here is a quote from... somewhere. Do you agree or disagree with the contents? Discuss.

"Would an all-intelligent, all-knowing, all-powerful god have any care for the name used in his worship?..."

About as much as he would care to be assigned a specific gender.

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
bogosghost1

"Would an all-intelligent, all-knowing, all-powerful god have any care for the name used in his worship? Would a god command the harm of another when his justice can be served without your aid? Simply do what is right and good for the benefit of your species, and whatever higher power exists will reward you for your stewardship."

Bonus: whoever can find out where the quote was taken from I have a special surprise for you (well some of you might know already)

Looks like a paraphrasing of the Marcus Aurellius "Live a good life" quote.

Zealot

bogosghost1
Simply do what is right and good for the benefit of your species, and whatever higher power exists will reward you for your stewardship.

The real problem here is how do you know what is right and good in the view of a given higher power, or what is specifically preferable and beneficial within its moral framework. I'm sure that if the universe were created by a being like Azathoth, then what we consider right and good would mean little.
The Legendary Guest
bogosghost1

Illuminati? Give me a break.

Hey! You win a

smile a

*high five*

and a tip!

It was from the "Illuminati" website I was discussing in my other thread, where we're discussing if the commercial/website is real, a hoax, satire, disinformation, or a troll. I want to see what people think about the idea. What's your thought about the quote?

Magical Investigator

22,875 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Pine Perfection 250
  • Forum Regular 100
bogosghost1
Does it matter what God you follow?

Not really, no.

bogosghost1

Everything in the universe only has names by what we apply to them. A cat in England is a gato in Spain, a chat in France, and a neko in Japan. Even within the notion of the Abrahamic God, it has so many damn names. YHWH (Yahweh), obviously, but how often do believers actually use that? There's like a whole taboo in place. So the Hebrews read it out as "Adonai," translated as "Lord," hence all Christian bibles replacing the Tetragrammaton with "LORD." Then you have the Muslims, who refer to this exact same god as Allah, which basically means "God." Which is what Christians tend to use colloquially, and at least in most circles in America is taken as a generic term for a monotheistic deity.

So uh... no, I don't think names matter that much. There are so many overlaps among gods of various cultures. Their personalities often change with their names, of course. Think about thunder gods Zeus and Thor, for instance. While Zeus is chief among the Greek gods, Thor is more of a protector and hero (the chief Norse God is Odin). Zeus was also far more guilty of infidelity, as far as I can tell, whereas I think Odin was more the ladies' man.

However, it should be noted that many people (particularly the Greeks and the Romans, but also fantasy writers) were (or are) fond of comparing and sharing names by associations anyway, believing them all to basically be the same gods by different names.
I guess an omniscient all-knowing God would want people to have an accurate view of his character. Because I think there are many different interpretations of God that can be conflicting.

I agree with the rest of the quote though.

Mora Starseed's Husband

Intellectual Combatant

11,225 Points
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
  • Mark Twain 100
Lady Kariel
I guess an omniscient all-knowing God would want people to have an accurate view of his character.
You know those words mean the same thing, right...?
It is not necessarily the God that you follow, but the life that you lead.
A desire to be worshiped is a trait I would normally associate with a weak, egotistical, and insecure being. I would think that any god worth the title wouldn't desire such a base thing to begin with, and would quite possibly be revolted by the notion of people worshiping it.

AcidStrips's Husband

Dangerous Conversationalist

8,175 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
Lady Kariel
I guess an omniscient all-knowing God would want people to have an accurate view of his character. Because I think there are many different interpretations of God that can be conflicting.
So of course the best way to convey that concept is through ancient religions with text books written thousands of years ago, mistranslated, edited, etc.

As opposed to, let's say, using their most powerful technology or infinite knowledge to create something that cannot be misinterpreted for generations to come, amirite?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff