Omnipresent Loiterer

12,850 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Regular 100
icicle weapon
Rumblestiltskin
icicle weapon
you're being marked on your physical agility in gymnastics.

Not entirely. A lot of it is based on creativity and difficulty. So your assertion is false.

Quote:
in cooking, you can be morbidly obese and scooter bound and still produce something delicious.

But you aren't MENTALLY adding the ingredients together...which is why it is a PHYSICAL activity.

Quote:
You need some mental talent for music.

But, again, you aren't MENTALLY playing the notes...you are PHYSICALLY playing them...

Quote:
For sports, you can be the biggest idiot in the world, so long as you're athletic. I mean, most NFL players aren't too smart, but they still play well.

....That's a pretty bold generalization...and like many, it's not that accurate. Players in the Scouting Combine take a Wonderlic test, and most who move on to play in the NFL do a pretty decent job. But either way, their intelligence level is entirely irrelevant to your assertion that we determine what a sport is by whether its competitive or not...which is also irrelevant to whether a religion necessitates a god or not (and the answer in both those questions is "no...no they don't" ).

by your logic, breathing is a sport because it is physical activity

I haven't said what my definition of a sport is...we're talking about YOUR definition of a sport.
Rumblestiltskin
Lucky~9~Lives
Rumblestiltskin
icicle weapon

But, again, you aren't MENTALLY playing the notes...you are PHYSICALLY playing them...

Not if I'm a digital composer.

You would still be manually inputting the keys.

Not if I were dictating them.

Frozen Fairy

Rumblestiltskin
icicle weapon
Rumblestiltskin
icicle weapon

Not entirely. A lot of it is based on creativity and difficulty. So your assertion is false.

Quote:
in cooking, you can be morbidly obese and scooter bound and still produce something delicious.

But you aren't MENTALLY adding the ingredients together...which is why it is a PHYSICAL activity.

Quote:

Quote:
For sports, you can be the biggest idiot in the world, so long as you're athletic. I mean, most NFL players aren't too smart, but they still play well.

....That's a pretty bold generalization...and like many, it's not that accurate. Players in the Scouting Combine take a Wonderlic test, and most who move on to play in the NFL do a pretty decent job. But either way, their intelligence level is entirely irrelevant to your assertion that we determine what a sport is by whether its competitive or not...which is also irrelevant to whether a religion necessitates a god or not (and the answer in both those questions is "no...no they don't" ).

I haven't said what my definition of a sport is...we're talking about YOUR definition of a sport.

no, we're fighting over the definition of physical activity actually

Omnipresent Loiterer

12,850 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Regular 100
Lucky~9~Lives
Rumblestiltskin
Lucky~9~Lives
Rumblestiltskin
icicle weapon

You would still be manually inputting the keys.

Not if I were dictating them.

Okay...though, for talent competitions, I think the judges would have something to say about that...

Omnipresent Loiterer

12,850 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Regular 100
icicle weapon
Rumblestiltskin
icicle weapon
Rumblestiltskin
icicle weapon

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

no, we're fighting over the definition of physical activity actually

Because it was a part of YOUR definition...And, again, it's ******** irrelevant to whether a god is a necessary part of a religion, which I've already explained is false.

Sukuya's Partner

Questionable Firestarter

25,500 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Lavish Tipper 200
Lucky~9~Lives
Rumblestiltskin
icicle weapon

dingding

Sukuya's Partner

Questionable Firestarter

25,500 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Lavish Tipper 200
I was WONDERING why the hell that tangent was happening

Sukuya's Partner

Questionable Firestarter

25,500 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Lavish Tipper 200
Rumblestiltskin
Cecilia Davidson
Rumblestiltskin
Cecilia Davidson
Lucky~9~Lives
Rumblestiltskin
Is there a shared set of beliefs and doctrine that the practitioners adhere to? Then it IS a religion, whether there is a god or not.

That makes Maoism a religion.
rumble has failed to bring up a second aspect pf religion - RITUAL

Ritual isn't necessary. All that's necessary is that they have shared beliefs that they adhere to...for example, let's say you're a catholic, but you don't go to service or mass...you just share the beliefs....aren't you still a part of that religion without partaking in any of the rituals?
In order for the religion to be a religion, the beliefs have to be codified and enforced by some means. That's where ritual comes in

Ummm...no...they don't. I just pointed out an example of a person who shares the beliefs, but does not partake in the rituals...which makes rituals irrelevant...

a set of beliefs is ONLY a set of beliefs. Otherwise the Republican Party is a religion by that rather loose definition.

Though they certainly act the part at times...

Omnipresent Loiterer

12,850 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Regular 100
Cecilia Davidson
Rumblestiltskin
Cecilia Davidson
Rumblestiltskin
Cecilia Davidson
rumble has failed to bring up a second aspect pf religion - RITUAL

Ritual isn't necessary. All that's necessary is that they have shared beliefs that they adhere to...for example, let's say you're a catholic, but you don't go to service or mass...you just share the beliefs....aren't you still a part of that religion without partaking in any of the rituals?
In order for the religion to be a religion, the beliefs have to be codified and enforced by some means. That's where ritual comes in

Ummm...no...they don't. I just pointed out an example of a person who shares the beliefs, but does not partake in the rituals...which makes rituals irrelevant...

a set of beliefs is ONLY a set of beliefs. Otherwise the Republican Party is a religion by that rather loose definition.

Though they certainly act the part at times...

I didn't say it was JUST a set of beliefs...go back and read what I ACTUALLY wrote...

Enduring Seeker

6,475 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Marathon 300
Rumblestiltskin
the only things needed to be a religion are a shared set of beliefs...and that's about it.

Is strong atheism a religion then?

Omnipresent Loiterer

12,850 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Regular 100
Nerdologist
Rumblestiltskin
the only things needed to be a religion are a shared set of beliefs...and that's about it.

Atheism by itself can't, because, at best, it's a shared disbelief, however, you could probably establish a religion based around ideas that are typically shared by atheists.

Enduring Seeker

6,475 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Marathon 300
Rumblestiltskin
Nerdologist
Rumblestiltskin

Atheism by itself can't, because, at best, it's a shared disbelief, however, you could probably establish a religion based around ideas that are typically shared by atheists.

Strong atheism is a shared belief that a god does not exist.

Omnipresent Loiterer

12,850 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Regular 100
Nerdologist
Rumblestiltskin
Nerdologist
Rumblestiltskin

That is only one belief...it is not a SET of beliefs...

Enduring Seeker

6,475 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Marathon 300
Rumblestiltskin
Nerdologist
Rumblestiltskin
Nerdologist
Rumblestiltskin

That is only one belief...it is not a SET of beliefs...

So you're saying a single belief can't constitute a religion? What about a belief that nature should be worshipped (nothing more, nothing less)?

Omnipresent Loiterer

12,850 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Regular 100
Nerdologist
So you're saying a single belief can't constitute a religion?

No. It can't. At least, not how the term is defined by its use. Everything that is classified as a "religion" involves several beliefs.

Quote:
What about a belief that nature should be worshipped (nothing more, nothing less)?

Well, I'd think there'd have to be more than that...namely, like what constitutes as nature? How should it be worshiped? What exactly are you worshiping? ...But, regardless...no. A BELIEF that nature should be worshiped is simply that...just a belief.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff