Welcome to Gaia! ::

Aged Lunatic

Lucky~9~Lives
GunsmithKitten
Lucky~9~Lives
No, I mean source that the thief can choose charity, the murderer, temperance, and the adulterer, chastity.

Those are actions not dictated by the autonomic nervous system.

Source?

Dorland's Medical Dictionary and Emedicine.com : The ANS affects heart rate, digestion, respiration rate, salivation, perspiration, diameter of the pupils, micturition (urination), and sexual arousal.

There.
GunsmithKitten
Lucky~9~Lives
GunsmithKitten
Lucky~9~Lives
No, I mean source that the thief can choose charity, the murderer, temperance, and the adulterer, chastity.

Source?

Dorland's Medical Dictionary and Emedicine.com : The ANS affects heart rate, digestion, respiration rate, salivation, perspiration, diameter of the pupils, micturition (urination), and sexual arousal.

There.

That doesn't appear to claim to be an exhaustive list.

4,750 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200
Lucky~9~Lives
GunsmithKitten
Lucky~9~Lives
GunsmithKitten
Lucky~9~Lives

Source?

There.

Source?

Aged Lunatic

Lucky~9~Lives
GunsmithKitten
Lucky~9~Lives
GunsmithKitten
Lucky~9~Lives

Source?

There.

What's your source then, chum?

You want to go to the ******** mattresses about this, we'll go, even if I have to take the time to chapter by chapter post an entire medical textbook section on it.

9,050 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Generous 100
  • Signature Look 250
I'm a Christan and I don't give two ******** if you're a homo. As long as you don't force your beliefs on me, and don't force a church that doesn't want to marry you to do so.

However, I'm strongly against teaching about it in school. It just opens the doors for homosexual students to be harassed and tormented earlier in their lives.
GunsmithKitten
Lucky~9~Lives
GunsmithKitten
Lucky~9~Lives
GunsmithKitten

Source?

There.

What's your source then, chum?

Burden's on you.

GunsmithKitten
You want to go to the ******** mattresses about this, we'll go, even if I have to take the time to chapter by chapter post an entire medical textbook section on it.

I didn't know you swung that way.
- ninja

Hygienic Lunatic

6,250 Points
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Hygienic 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Capt Buckner CTO
I'm a Christan and I don't give two ******** if you're a homo. As long as you don't force your beliefs on me, and don't force a church that doesn't want to marry you to do so.

However, I'm strongly against teaching about it in school. It just opens the doors for homosexual students to be harassed and tormented earlier in their lives.
Wouldn't barring teaching and education on it only do more to cause homosexual students to be harassed and tormented? Generally speaking, making a subject taboo or prohibitive leads only to further harassment. I don't believe that prohibiting discussion on the topic is the way to go to reduce harassment.

9,050 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Generous 100
  • Signature Look 250
TrueLore
Capt Buckner CTO

Wouldn't barring teaching and education on it only do more to cause homosexual students to be harassed and tormented? Generally speaking, making a subject taboo or prohibitive leads only to further harassment. I don't believe that prohibiting discussion on the topic is the way to go to reduce harassment.

You are familiar with what I'm referencing, right?

The California bill that would require the grade school sex-ed course to include homosexuality, if you don't.

Here's my reasoning. Kids at that age are ******** demons. And with the increase of suicides due to bullying lately, I don't really think it is wise.

Hygienic Lunatic

6,250 Points
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Hygienic 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Capt Buckner CTO
TrueLore
Capt Buckner CTO

The California bill that would require the grade school sex-ed course to include homosexuality, if you don't.

Here's my reasoning. Kids at that age are ******** demons. And with the increase of suicides due to bullying lately, I don't really think it is wise.
Yes, I live in California. I don't see how including homosexuality in sex-ed will increase harassment of homosexual students. My impression is that it would be quite the opposite effect. That bringing it out and talking about it intellectually and educationally will do a lot to help students view homosexual students as humans and fellow classmates rather than "the other".

9,050 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Generous 100
  • Signature Look 250
TrueLore
Capt Buckner CTO
TrueLore
Capt Buckner CTO

Yes, I live in California. I don't see how including homosexuality in sex-ed will increase harassment of homosexual students. My impression is that it would be quite the opposite effect. That bringing it out and talking about it intellectually and educationally will do a lot to help students view homosexual students as humans and fellow classmates rather than "the other".

Yeah, I'm not sure what would happen. I'm just throwing out what I think would happen based on experiences I've had.

Where in CA? I'm down in Orange County.

Hygienic Lunatic

6,250 Points
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Hygienic 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Capt Buckner CTO
TrueLore
Capt Buckner CTO
TrueLore
Capt Buckner CTO

Yeah, I'm not sure what would happen. I'm just throwing out what I think would happen based on experiences I've had.

Where in CA? I'm down in Orange County.
Yeah, this is just hypothetical. I live near LA.
I'm not at all defending homophobia (I'm gay, plus it hardly matters, I don't care at all what anyone's sexuality is, so long as all parties consent, it's all good), but there's a phrase along the lines of "The bible says a lot of things," I figure that seems to fit here. There's no denying that at least to the jewish community which existed during the time of the writing of Leviticus, homosexuality was seen as being a definite trait of the Babylonians, who I believe had conquered them, and weren't they actually taken and split up? That seems to happen to Jews quite a lot, at least historically. Anyways, the point is that at the time of the writing there was probably a strong desire to preserve their Jewish identity at the time. Listing homosexuality as forbidden would certainly be a way to ensure that they weren't, let's say fraternizing with their captors, so to speak.

Now, I may think it's unethical, but that's just me, and it's important to keep in mind that the bible is not just the work of one author, it's a collection of writings that were written over the span of thousands of years, and that's with significant editing! Naturally it's going to say, well, quite a lot of things, and there'll be quite a bit of context lost, and lots of it lost in translation. They aren't going to say "Here's why we wrote the third word of Rule A-12, Subsection 14, Line 8," so we have to go on what we know historically. I respect the bible as a religious work, and as a former Christian I can say that yes, there's definitely some good in there, and it did do the trick of driving me to get my s**t together. Except here's the problem: I only read the nice parts. I like to think that I was striving to follow the spirit instead of the letter of the law, let's put it that way. It's for that same reason that I realized I could be moral and good to others without feeling like God was one sin away from blowing my spiritual brains all over the pavement of hell for disobeying him.

Christians against homosexuality, I understand you feel like my "choices" (by which I mean feelings that come naturally to me) aren't what Jesus would have me do. I understand you think that somehow my life is unfulfilled, perhaps you feel like it's a waste or a shame, or I'm not living up to my potential. That's just fine, you have every right to think whatever you want about me and my life, go right ahead, I won't stop you. I only ask that you first of all at least devote a little time to really closely reading what it is your religious texts are spreading, beyond just the interesting stuff about how God loves and tolerates everyone and is going to forgive everyone. Second of all, please understand the boundary line between moral restrictions that you place on yourself and moral restrictions that should rightly be placed on everyone. It's not fair or right for you to place your own moral restrictions on people who simply want to be treated as regular citizens. I'm not accusing readers of this of personally setting up the conditions in which we now live, but I am saying that the next time you have the chance to change the country, please do what you can to allow others the same validity you would want and probably enjoy yourself.

Brainy Entrepreneur

9,850 Points
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Partygoer 500
Taikyoku

[snip]

Christians against homosexuality, I understand you feel like my "choices" (by which I mean feelings that come naturally to me) aren't what Jesus would have me do. I understand you think that somehow my life is unfulfilled, perhaps you feel like it's a waste or a shame, or I'm not living up to my potential. That's just fine, you have every right to think whatever you want about me and my life, go right ahead, I won't stop you. I only ask that you first of all at least devote a little time to really closely reading what it is your religious texts are spreading, beyond just the interesting stuff about how God loves and tolerates everyone and is going to forgive everyone. Second of all, please understand the boundary line between moral restrictions that you place on yourself and moral restrictions that should rightly be placed on everyone. It's not fair or right for you to place your own moral restrictions on people who simply want to be treated as regular citizens. I'm not accusing readers of this of personally setting up the conditions in which we now live, but I am saying that the next time you have the chance to change the country, please do what you can to allow others the same validity you would want and probably enjoy yourself.

This.
Plus: Why does/should YOUR religion/religious values dictate the lives of people of OTHER/NO religion(s)?

Malevolent Firestarter

3,400 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • PvP 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
x-Kemetic Phoenix-x
Taikyoku

[snip]

This.
Plus: Why does/should YOUR religion/religious values dictate the lives of people of OTHER/NO religion(s)?

People's values always end up imposing upon the lives of others so long as we're in some kind of society with laws. Indeed, that they should not impose is a value in and of itself.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff