The morals 0.16666666666667 16.7% [ 9 ]
Total Votes:[ 54 ]
< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Dapper Informer

9,200 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
A lot of the followers in Christianity is mainly what I dislike about the religion, but I also don't like the teachings or God I suppose.

From a lot of "mainstream" Christians I've encountered, they wholeheartedly believe that someone who doesn't believe in God should go to Hell, even if they go through life as a considerably "good" person. I can't get behind a God that supposedly "loves" all of us, but would send someone to eternal damnation, pain, and suffering. If that's love, I don't want to see what hate is.

Wealthy Millionaire

Mrtyu-Mara
A lot of the followers in Christianity is mainly what I dislike about the religion, but I also don't like the teachings or God I suppose.

From a lot of "mainstream" Christians I've encountered, they wholeheartedly believe that someone who doesn't believe in God should go to Hell, even if they go through life as a considerably "good" person. I can't get behind a God that supposedly "loves" all of us, but would send someone to eternal damnation, pain, and suffering. If that's love, I don't want to see what hate is.

But is "good" enough? Even people who believe in God go to hell. Shoot, the devil believes in God. You have to accept Jesus.

Dapper Informer

9,200 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
IVovacane
Mrtyu-Mara

But is "good" enough? Even people who believe in God go to hell. Shoot, the devil believes in God. You have to accept Jesus.

Which isn't very loving, if you ask me. And that's just something that doesn't jive with me.

Aged Lunatic

IVovacane
Seems a majority has a problem with the christians.

Christian teaching has a problem with most people. That's not too surprising.

And me having a problem with it is pretty sane thinking, really; why embrace an idealogy that condemns me to death at worst, and regards me as a second class citizen spiritually at best?

Wealthy Millionaire

GunsmithKitten
IVovacane
Seems a majority has a problem with the christians.

Christian teaching has a problem with most people. That's not too surprising.

And me having a problem with it is pretty sane thinking, really; why embrace an idealogy that condemns me to death at worst, and regards me as a second class citizen spiritually at best?

Why embrace something that shows why you need saving and what you need saving from, and that you are ASSURED salvation by just accepting grace you do not deserve?

Wealthy Millionaire

Mrtyu-Mara
IVovacane
Mrtyu-Mara

Which isn't very loving, if you ask me. And that's just something that doesn't jive with me.

God isnt just all lovey dovey and harmless. He is just and will not hesitate to lay down judgement. By just acknowledging he exists doesnt pay for your sin. Repentance does.

Aged Lunatic

IVovacane

Why embrace something that shows why you need saving

Because I only need saving because it condemns me? That's pretty damned circular there.

It's like a gangland racket; you pay protection to the very people that will otherwise wreck your store if you don't buy "protection".

Quote:
and what you need saving from

Yea, I've seen the list of things I need saving from. My sexuality, my refusal to be submissive to men, ect...

Quote:
, and that you are ASSURED salvation by just accepting grace you do not deserve?

Once again, I only don't deserve it because it was deliberately set up so that I would fail. That's like poisoning someone, then blaming them for dying because they didn't pay you for the antidote.

Aged Lunatic

IVovacane
Mrtyu-Mara
IVovacane
Mrtyu-Mara

God isnt just all lovey dovey and harmless. He is just and will not hesitate to lay down judgement. By just acknowledging he exists doesnt pay for your sin. Repentance does.

Well that and a whole lot of other changes to prove your saved.
1. The massive claims made by Christianity that are unsubstantiated or unfalsifiable.
2. The immoral preachments of scripture: The doctrine of hell, of original sin, the idea that you can through your sins, your responsibilities on someone else and have them die for your sake, etc, etc...
3. The preachment that you have to believe whatever the bible says, on faith, for no reason. So the only way to salvation is faith is Jesus. Nevermind being a good person. As long as you believe in for no reason, then can you be saved, including asking for forgiveness.
4. The God of the Old Testament is immoral.
5. Makes false claims about the nature of reality.
The list goes oooon....

Clean Citizen

i live in canada.
christians, atheists, muslims, and whatnot all get along here for most part.
and our crazy christians all seem to make them ways down to usa.
like yous got some sort of crazy magnet in utah or something

Seeker

XosmoZ
3. The preachment that you have to believe whatever the bible says, on faith, for no reason. So the only way to salvation is faith is Jesus. Nevermind being a good person. As long as you believe in for no reason, then can you be saved, including asking for forgiveness.

I choose to read parts of Matthew 7 as being contrary to this. Though Yeshua speaks of false prophets, I feel as though it is general advice.

Quote:
16 By their fruits you will know them. Do people pick grapes from thornbushes, or figs from thistles? 17Just so, every good tree bears good fruit, and a rotten tree bears bad fruit.
18A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, nor can a rotten tree bear good fruit.

That is, someone who is only saying, "Christ is my saviour!" but isn't actually Christ-like can't be saved because they're just a rotten tree with rotten fruit. In contrast, a good person, like a good tree, cannot help but produce good fruit.

The larger question, of course, is why a non-Christian would even want to enter Heaven, given that it is an existence in which one is unified with YHWH/Jesus/Blessed Trinity.
Hexatonic Scale
I choose to read parts of Matthew 7 as being contrary to this. Though Yeshua speaks of false prophets, I feel as though it is general advice.

So we can pick and choose the parts in the bible we want to follow now? How typical.
Hexatonic Scale
That is, someone who is only saying, "Christ is my saviour!" but isn't actually Christ-like can't be saved because they're just a rotten tree with rotten fruit. In contrast, a good person, like a good tree, cannot help but produce good fruit.

Actually you can be a bad person and go to heaven, in the christian perspective of course. The fundamental requirement for salvation is belief in Jesus, because only through Jesus can you be saved. Doesn't matter whether you are good or bad. After that all it takes is to ask for forgiveness, doesn't matter your crime. And if your a good person and don't believe, you go to hell.

Hexatonic Scale
The larger question, of course, is why a non-Christian would even want to enter Heaven, given that it is an existence in which one is unified with YHWH/Jesus/Blessed Trinity.

Did I insinuate that I wanted to go to heaven? An eternity of singing songs and praises to the Dear Leader and his Son. Sounds like hell to me. Actually its more like a celestial North Korea.

Seeker

XosmoZ
Hexatonic Scale

So we can pick and choose the parts in the bible we want to follow now? How typical.

First, I'm not Christian, nor am I a Biblical scholar. I said, "I choose to read it this way" and this does not interfere with the primary message anyway. There is no picking and choosing.

XosmoZ
Hexatonic Scale

Actually you can be a bad person and go to heaven, in the christian perspective of course. The fundamental requirement for salvation is belief in Jesus, because only through Jesus can you be saved. Doesn't matter whether you are good or bad. After that all it takes is to ask for forgiveness, doesn't matter your crime. And if your a good person and don't believe, you go to hell.

That's actually the exact opposite of what I said. A bad person, a person who does bad things, cannot possibly believe Jesus is their savoiur because if they did their heart would be changed and they couldn't help but do good acts.

A false-prophet, a person who preaches hate for example, is a bad tree which bears evil fruit. He goes on to explain that those trees are the ones you burn.

XosmoZ
Hexatonic Scale

Did I insinuate that I wanted to go to heaven? An eternity of singing songs and praises to the Dear Leader and his Son. Sounds like hell to me. Actually its more like a celestial North Korea.

Did I say you? I was merely musing about how many non-Christians seem so concerned about Heaven and Hell.

EDIT: Sorry about editing this. I was trying to reply via the Gaia mobile app and it was a horrible experience I seriously would not suggest anyone trying. I fixed things up to be what I wanted to say/proper formatting.
Well, since you asked, my answer would be the morals. I could talk about hypociritical or otherwise just downright unpleasant Christians, but there are unpleasant people of all stripes, so I don't see their existence to be a strike against Christianity as a whole. Although, it is a strike against Christianity's claim of leading people towards being moral, since if that were actually true you would expect at least a slightly positive statistical correlation between how devout a Christian is and how moral they are rather than the slightly negative coorelation that exists in reality.

Anyway, if you want to know my problem with the religion itself, it boils down to it being morally reprehensible.

Seriously. I find it to be flat-out reprehenible. If evil were a concept I believe in, it would qualify.

Here are my top three reasons. I have a lot more, but these are the ones I view as both important and inherent to Christianity as a whole rather than merely sins of some of the followers.

1) It devalues human life
According to Christianity humans are inherently worthless. You are born "sinful" due to the mistake of your ancestors and can only be rendered "worthy" through following the teachings of God (as given through the priests, which more often than not involves giving them money). This leads into reasons 2 and 3.

2) It teaches blind obedience to authority.
God is never to be questioned. God always does good. Even when he kills children or conducts campaigns of genocide that make Hitler and Stalin look like Abbot and Costello, he is right, he is good, because he is powerful and in charge. Obey authority in all things, never question that he (and by extension, those who speak for him) is right in all things, no matter how much your inferior mind might find things like the mass slaughter of human beings to be "evil". You just don't understand how great he is, he has a mysterious plan that makes all this seemingly selfish, barbaric, evil action justified and right. Because he is authority, and authority is always right.

3) It teaches that guilt is inheritable.
Our unworthyness is due to a "crime" (the crime of disobedience to authority, see: 2) perpetuated by our ancient ancestors which for some reason we are accountable for. Most of the civilized world recognizes that blaming a child for something done before they were even born is wrong. Why can't they?

Dapper Informer

9,200 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
IVovacane
Mrtyu-Mara
IVovacane
Mrtyu-Mara

Eternal pain, torture, suffering, and damnation is justice?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff