Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dapper Reveler

Fulfilled the days trolling quota
Avgvsto
save persons undergoing an existential crises.

Prove me wrong.

"a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, especially when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs."

Quite a few people lack belief in the universe having a purpose.

Dapper Reveler

Lucky~9~Lives
Avgvsto

"a set of beliefs concerning the cause and nature, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs."

Hardly any lack belief in purpose of nature as it is relevant towards themselves however.
Avgvsto
Lucky~9~Lives
Avgvsto

"a set of beliefs concerning the cause and nature, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs."

Hardly any lack belief in purpose of nature as it is relevant towards themselves however.

Perhaps - but that's not a part of the definition you provided, and edited out of my reply, now is it?
- ninja

Dapper Reveler

Lucky~9~Lives
Avgvsto
Lucky~9~Lives
Avgvsto

Perhaps - but that's not a part of the definition you provided, and edited out of my reply, now is it?
- ninja
Yea it is. I just deleted the extra stuff. I could of left all of it but i was specifying the parts of the discussion which i deemed relevant. If something is greater than human, which a determent of our nature must be, then it is implicitly super human or however my definition described it.
Avgvsto
Lucky~9~Lives
Avgvsto
Lucky~9~Lives
Avgvsto

- ninja

Yea I just deleted stuff. I could of left, which is implicitly super.

I concur.
- 3nodding

Dapper Reveler

Lucky~9~Lives
Avgvsto

"a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, especially when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs."

I don't know why this definition insists on giving gods some human qualities while the current most popular western religions, namely Judaism, Christendom, and Islam, don't give those qualities to their god(s).

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
This is lame.
You're slipping with your trolling.

Dapper Reveler

CuAnnan
This is lame.
You're slipping with your trolling.
Yup, pretty lazy. I'm right though.

Dapper Reveler

Lucky~9~Lives
Avgvsto
Lucky~9~Lives
Avgvsto
Lucky~9~Lives
Avgvsto

- ninja

Yea I just deleted stuff. I could of left, which is implicitly super.

I concur.
- 3nodding
The things i kept were relevant, the things you kept changed what i said.
Given the definition of religion you listed, you are absolutely right.

I have long thought that if we were going to attempt any real discussion of religion, getting some better defining terms would be a huge boon.
(I started a rather lengthy list of examples that started to go beyond the scope of your premise. As such, consider the difference between Mysticism and Legalism in religion as a basic starting point of two vastly different types of "religion" )

Dapper Reveler

Samadhi23
Given the definition of religion you listed, you are absolutely right.

I have long thought that if we were going to attempt any real discussion of religion, getting some better defining terms would be a huge boon.
(I started a rather lengthy list of examples that started to go beyond the scope of your premise. As such, consider the difference between Mysticism and Legalism in religion as a basic starting point of two vastly different types of "religion" )
I'm confused as to what you're trying to say here.
Avgvsto
I don't know why this definition insists on giving gods some human qualities while the current most popular western religions, namely Judaism, Christendom, and Islam, don't give those qualities to their god(s).

It might have something to do with the holy books of said religions.

Dapper Reveler

Lucky~9~Lives
Avgvsto
Lucky~9~Lives
Avgvsto

Eh. The books explicitly claim that god is not human, although obviously it fails to express ideals in an inhuman way since it was written by and for humans. I could as easily claim that Einstein described the universe in a human way because the universe doesn't know what light years or calculus is. (I always refer to the generic scientist as Einstein because I like him.)
Avgvsto
Lucky~9~Lives
Avgvsto

Eh. The books explicitly claim that god is not human, although obviously it fails to express ideals in an inhuman way since it was written by and for humans. I could as easily claim that Einstein described the universe in a human way because the universe doesn't know what light years or calculus is. (I always refer to the generic scientist as Einstein because I like him.)

Einstein doesn't say the universe doesn't know what light years or calculus is.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff