Welcome to Gaia! ::

Liberal Citizen

5,200 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Consumer 100
  • Market Browser 100
I'm not sure this counts, but there was one time my younger sister went to Youth Camp with her friends (I'm too old for it) and she came home saying that some guy was preaching about how homosexuality is a sin and they have no place in heaven. He also said that it's a choice, and my sister believed it.

Personally, I do not believe that one's sexuality is a choice. You can't help who you fall for, and I told her as much, but she never replied or make a comment about it.

I never told her this but I was really hurt about it. The thought of her believing in some stranger than me, her own flesh and blood, cuts a lot deeper than I cared to admit.

Sparkly Shapeshifter

12,950 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Person of Interest 200
Awesome Gaiden
I pointed out that the Bible said 'In our image" rather than "In my image"

The called me a witch and threw me out.

Wow. If that had happened to me, I would have given them the finger and told them I'm not going to keep wasting my ******** time with morons. Even if there were children, I would curse.

Timid Explorer

Note: these situations were from different times, I was also uncertain in which religion i belonged to. I also use to hang out with my friend at her church at least until we graduated high school (haven't been there since). I was not really offended but I did think it was a little mean.

around 12 years old: My friend is a mormon, when she took me to her church on a wednesday night for the 1st time, one girl from her youth group asked me what religion i was. at the time I was considered a catholic, so I repied, 'technically i'm catholic.' they all laughed. idk, i just thought it was a little mean.

about 14 years old: From that same church, they did a study in the book of mormon, and their teacher said anyone not apart of the LDS church will not be saved, her eyes on me. I'm not sure if that was a technique for converting, but i still thought it was mean.

about 15 years old too: My mom thought my soul was going to hell one time (becuz I didn't believe in catholicism)and took me to church. It was a Saturday mass at a catholic church, which we had not attended in at least 2 years, every person in there glanced at us like a stranger. I smiled to see if I could have smiles back, nope that didn't happen. sad It was a little sad, were they not happy?
On top of that, all we did was sing and did traditional stuff, and the worst part was that the preist said 'go to church, do church related activities and good works, so you'll go to heaven.' This wasn't mean or offending, but I knew that it wasn't in the bible, so why preach it? And to me the mass was suppose to be like worship, but i did not feel like i was worshipping.
At the same time, she made me go to Confession, the preist was behind this wall with tiny holes in them while another preist told me to kneel over this bench to start confessing and say thank you Father after I was done. I didn't have anything to confess about myself at the time. But I most certainly did not consider a preist my father. It wasn't mean or offending, but it was something i didn't understand.

either way, those were so far the worst kinda experiences with churchs i've had.

Adored Sweetheart

Not a "Church" but had bad run ins with other Christians that did not behave Christian like at all. ><

Distinct Seeker

Awesome Gaiden

They didn't understand the Bible. It was speaking of the Trinity. "Let us make man in our image and in our likeness."

Dangerous Lunatic

5,600 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Tycoon 200
Mr Nicewatch
Awesome Gaiden

They didn't understand the Bible. It was speaking of the Trinity. "Let us make man in our image and in our likeness."
No it wasn't it was talking about the cannanite pantheon. When genesis was written the trinity wasn't even a thing.

Distinct Seeker

The Catfish Blues
Mr Nicewatch
Awesome Gaiden

No it wasn't it was talking about the cannanite pantheon. When genesis was written the trinity wasn't even a thing.

And how did you get that idea?

Deuteronomy 6:4

Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one.

1 Corinthians 8:4

So then, about eating food sacrificed to idols: We know that an idol is nothing at all in the world and that there is no God but one.

Galatians 3:20

A mediator, however, does not represent just one party; but God is one.

As you can see, the Bible is very clear that God is one. There is simply no getting around that point.

But the Scriptures also speak of God using the word "Elohim" (a term for God that has a plural connotation) to describe Himself, and of using the term "us" instead of "me" when referring to Himself.

In fact, the word "Elohim" is used in the very first verse in the Bible....

In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.

The word Elohim is also used later in Genesis chapter 1, and in that verse we also see God using the word "us" when referring to actions that He was taking....

Genesis 1:26

Then God said, "Let us make man in our image, in our likeness, and let them rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air, over the livestock, over all the earth, and over all the creatures that move along the ground."

The following are some more examples of God using the word "us" to refer to Himself....

Genesis 3:22

And the Lord God said, “The man has now become like one of us, knowing good and evil. He must not be allowed to reach out his hand and take also from the tree of life and eat, and live forever.”

Genesis 11:7

Come, let us go down and confuse their language so they will not understand each other.”

Isaiah 6:8

Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”

And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Distinct Seeker

Mr Nicewatch
The Catfish Blues
Mr Nicewatch
Awesome Gaiden

And how did you get that idea?I'll show you. Well, a good point to start is to take a look at the Scriptures that tell us that God is one God....

So then, about eating food sacrificed to idols: We know that an idol is nothing at all in the world and that there is no God but one.

As you can see, the Bible is very clear that God is one. There is simply no getting around that point.

But the Scriptures also speak of God using the word "Elohim" (a term for God that has a plural connotation) to describe Himself, and of using the term "us" instead of "me" when referring to Himself.

The word Elohim is also used later in Genesis chapter 1, and in that verse we also see God using the word "us" when referring to actions that He was taking....

Then God said, "Let us make man in our image, in our likeness, and let them rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air, over the livestock, over all the earth, and over all the creatures that move along the ground."

The following are some more examples of God using the word "us" to refer to Himself....

And the Lord God said, “The man has now become like one of us, knowing good and evil. He must not be allowed to reach out his hand and take also from the tree of life and eat, and live forever.”

Come, let us go down and confuse their language so they will not understand each other.”

Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”

Dangerous Lunatic

5,600 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Tycoon 200
Mr Nicewatch
The Catfish Blues
Mr Nicewatch
Awesome Gaiden

Yahweh was originally a deity in the cannanite pantheon, El was his father and the asherah was his mother. The remnant of this in the bible is elohim which means we, so no the trinity is not an ancient conept and was never even mentioned in the bible as a concept http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yahweh#Ancient_Israel_and_Judah

Beloved Regular

8,750 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Millionaire 200
Disconsented
Why do you believe?

I think quite literally every post you have ever made that I have seen on these forums has been almost completely irrelevant to the topic.

Distinct Seeker

The Catfish Blues
Mr Nicewatch
The Catfish Blues
Mr Nicewatch
Awesome Gaiden

Yahweh was originally a deity in the cannanite pantheon, El was his father and the asherah was his mother. The remnant of this in the bible is elohim which means we, so no the trinity is not an ancient conept and was never even mentioned in the bible as a concept http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yahweh#Ancient_Israel_and_Judah

Wow, I already had a convo about this topic with a person. I really don't feel like explaining it again. -.-

Dangerous Lunatic

5,600 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Tycoon 200
Mr Nicewatch
The Catfish Blues
Mr Nicewatch
The Catfish Blues
Mr Nicewatch
Awesome Gaiden

Wow, I already had a convo about this topic with a person. I really don't feel like explaining it again. -.-
really? You come to a discussion forum and don't actually want to discuss stuff. Ffs

Distinct Seeker

The Catfish Blues
Mr Nicewatch
The Catfish Blues
Mr Nicewatch
The Catfish Blues

really? You come to a discussion forum and don't actually want to discuss stuff. Ffs

Nope. Just don't want to type allllll the details and allll the info over again. I have a feeling another person will bring this topic up....you can search for it somewhere if you want. Its somewhere in the Morality/religion forum : B

11,225 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
silvershadowedwings
Note: these situations were from different times, I was also uncertain in which religion i belonged to. I also use to hang out with my friend at her church at least until we graduated high school (haven't been there since). I was not really offended but I did think it was a little mean.

around 12 years old: My friend is a mormon, when she took me to her church on a wednesday night for the 1st time, one girl from her youth group asked me what religion i was. at the time I was considered a catholic, so I repied, 'technically i'm catholic.' they all laughed. idk, i just thought it was a little mean.

about 14 years old: From that same church, they did a study in the book of mormon, and their teacher said anyone not apart of the LDS church will not be saved, her eyes on me. I'm not sure if that was a technique for converting, but i still thought it was mean.

about 15 years old too: My mom thought my soul was going to hell one time (becuz I didn't believe in catholicism)and took me to church. It was a Saturday mass at a catholic church, which we had not attended in at least 2 years, every person in there glanced at us like a stranger. I smiled to see if I could have smiles back, nope that didn't happen. sad It was a little sad, were they not happy?
On top of that, all we did was sing and did traditional stuff, and the worst part was that the preist said 'go to church, do church related activities and good works, so you'll go to heaven.' This wasn't mean or offending, but I knew that it wasn't in the bible, so why preach it? And to me the mass was suppose to be like worship, but i did not feel like i was worshipping.
At the same time, she made me go to Confession, the preist was behind this wall with tiny holes in them while another preist told me to kneel over this bench to start confessing and say thank you Father after I was done. I didn't have anything to confess about myself at the time. But I most certainly did not consider a preist my father. It wasn't mean or offending, but it was something i didn't understand.

either way, those were so far the worst kinda experiences with churchs i've had.
In reference to what the mormon lady said. That was uncalled for. We believe that everyone will have the opportunity to be saved.
VampireCountess
silvershadowedwings

In reference to what the mormon lady said. That was uncalled for. We believe that everyone will have the opportunity to be saved.

yeah sorry about her. Sometimes LDS members get the words salvation and exaltation confused and think they are the same thing which isn't the case.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff