Welcome to Gaia! ::

I think they can be whether to not hurt someone lying is lying but there are many views here express them I am very interested
"Little white lies," no matter how small, are still lies. Lies are all the same. I should know, I lie a lot.
Sometimes you have to lie to keep bad things from happening, which is in my mind absolutely the right thing to do. Depending on what is going on, you decide whether to tell the truth or not. If its a white lie, I'm all for it, since some people are better off not knowing things in certain circumstances.
Cuttle_Bone
"Little white lies," no matter how small, are still lies. Lies are all the same. I should know, I lie a lot.
If it is not against your personal honor/morality code, it is not wrong. If you think it is wrong for you, it is. We would have to agree on a lot more before being able to discuss this, starting with what defines wrong things and if lying falls into that catagory, as well as how small of a lie your talking about- what does it affect in the end? I say if it doesn't really affect anything you shouldn't have a problem, or if it never gets mentioned in the future. To be safe, use rarely.
It is extremely hard not to lie at all in your life...

Dapper Gekko

I think white lies are alright in certain circumstances. Such as when a friend asks you if you think she looks fat and you honestly do. Telling her you think so would hurt her and it's wrong to cause unnecessary pain, so in that case a white lie is ok by my moral standards.
DiCeyonion
It is extremely hard not to lie at all in your life...

Yes, but it is not hard to not lie the overwhelming majority of the time, now, is it? whee

Of course this depends on what you call lying. Lying is deliberately spreading falsehoods. Lying is deliberately witholding information you know is important for the other to be aware of. Lying is prettying up words to make something sound different than it actually was, for the explicit purposes of making the sittuation appear better than it was. The key to all of these examples, is that the lying is DELIBERATE. The reason doesn't matter. Lying is lying. And NOBODY likes being lied to. A person has every right never to trust you again when they find out you lied to them.
"White" lies can be tons of fun, especially for social engineering. Any attempt to be morally absolute and say that you don't and will never lie is a joke. They never really go so far as to where you can "hurt" people with them.

I recommend everyone give it a shot, just for a cheap thrill to show how utterly meaningless a lot of social mannerisms are. The next time you meet a stranger, introduce yourself under a different name. You'll never see them again, when you think about it. Why does it matter that they forget your true name or a false one hours later? (that is a rhetorical question, religious zealots..)
Well, i dont think they are bad. Say if its your mates b-day and you've got to gether a suprise party and they ask you if you'ved done a party for them, you cant say "yes" then it wont be a suprise, so you lie a little to make it better for them later on!!! But... saying your going to a mates house for a sleepover when your actually going to an all nite disco, thats not white lying, because it benefits for you more than anyone else.
I lie a lot, but when it comes to those small white lies that are often told for the benefit of others, no I don't think they're bad. People don't always want to hear what they're told, and so it helps to alter the truth a little.
Well I don't know... if it's to save someone's feelings it doesn't seem so bad. But then again, you can always be tactful, and not lie.

I'm trying to kind of phase them out, become more... honest.

I just felt like I had to - I don't know why, I've been making a lot of changes.

*broods*
It all depends on what your intent is.

Trying to look good in front of your friends/family/romantic interest? Bad idea.

Protecting a pretty awesome secret like, oh, a birthday party? Now that might have some potential 3nodding
Casalen
If it is not against your personal honor/morality code, it is not wrong. If you think it is wrong for you, it is. We would have to agree on a lot more before being able to discuss this, starting with what defines wrong things and if lying falls into that catagory, as well as how small of a lie your talking about- what does it affect in the end? I say if it doesn't really affect anything you shouldn't have a problem, or if it never gets mentioned in the future. To be safe, use rarely.
no... just because somthing isn't against your morals does not mean it is worng. Lying is wrong because it is being deceitful. Even if it does not affect anything, you should still stick to the truth. Because you never know if it will affect something later on.
paradoxical
I lie a lot, but when it comes to those small white lies that are often told for the benefit of others, no I don't think they're bad. People don't always want to hear what they're told, and so it helps to alter the truth a little.
You can always tell the truth in a way that is not hurtful to the person. It all depends on the way you tell the person.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff