Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dedicated Gaian

12,725 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Friendly 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
I need proof to believe in God. I am not trying to offend anyone in here but I want to believe. I just don't see how God is real because I have had no proof. I guess what I am asking is if someone has proof and could help me see it so I can believe.

Helpful advice and information is much appreciated.

Again, I do not intend to offend anyone.
AngelsDreadedFear
I am not trying to offend anyone in here but I want to believe.

Why do you want to believe?

Floppy Member

AngelsDreadedFear
I need proof to believe in God. I am not trying to offend anyone in here but I want to believe. I just don't see how God is real because I have had no proof. I guess what I am asking is if someone has proof and could help me see it so I can believe.

By definition, an agnostic's stance is that it is not possible to know whether or not gods exist.

Floppy Member

"In the popular sense, an agnostic is someone who neither believes nor disbelieves in God, whereas an atheist disbelieves in God. In the strict sense, however, agnosticism is the view that human reason is incapable of providing sufficient rational grounds to justify either the belief that God exists or the belief that God does not exist. In so far as one holds that our beliefs are rational only if they are sufficiently supported by human reason, the person who accepts the philosophical position of agnosticism will hold that neither the belief that God exists nor the belief that God does not exist is rational." Rowe, William L. (1998 ). "Agnosticism". -- In Edward Craig. Routledge Encyclopedia of Philosophy. Taylor & Francis. ISBN 978-0-415-07310-3.

"agnostic. A. n. 1. A person who believes that nothing is known or can be known of immaterial things, especially of the existence or nature of God. Also: person of indeterminate ideology or conviction; an equivocator. B. adj. 1. Of or relating to the belief that the existence of anything beyond and behind material phenomena is unknown and (as far as can be judged) unknowable. Also: holding this belief." --"agnostic, agnosticism". OED Online, 3rd ed. Oxford University Press. September 2012.

Arcoon Effox
See post directly above for an example of what has been previously mentioned.

Witty Phantom

7,350 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
You're an atheist and judging by your sig you're (hopefully) some kind of POE.
I feel like OP came looking for a fight

Floppy Member

Arcoon Effox

Got any input? Also, once again, same as previous.

Tiny Pumpkin

Lucky~9~Lives
The Legendary Guest
By definition, an agnostic's stance is that it is not possible to know whether or not gods exist.

An agnostic's stance is only that they do not (currently) know.

hey lucky, if the guest has you on ignore and nobody quoted her between her post and yours, how are you even responding to her right now? just curious stare

Dedicated Gaian

12,725 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Friendly 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
Lucky~9~Lives
AngelsDreadedFear

When I was younger I went to church every Sunday with my mom. She made me go. I hated it because I did not, and still do not, agree with what was being taught. It angered me because I did not feel the same about the religion. I was originally a Lutheran. I still have that option of going back to the same church but every time I tried I just got pissed. I want to know there is something out there after death. That there is someone or something out there that can help. I do not believe because I have been through so many traumatic events that has drawn me away from believing in a higher power because I did not get the proper help until it was too late. Even then, I still struggle. I just want to know that everything will be ok in the end. I want to believe in something that can be impossible and yet people believe it. I just don't have proof which leads me away from believing in a higher power, such as God.

Floppy Member

AngelsDreadedFear
Lucky~9~Lives
AngelsDreadedFear

When I was younger I went to church every Sunday with my mom. She made me go. I hated it because I did not, and still do not, agree with what was being taught. It angered me because I did not feel the same about the religion. I was originally a Lutheran. I still have that option of going back to the same church but every time I tried I just got pissed. I want to know there is something out there after death. That there is someone or something out there that can help. I do not believe because I have been through so many traumatic events that has drawn me away from believing in a higher power because I did not get the proper help until it was too late. Even then, I still struggle. I just want to know that everything will be ok in the end. I want to believe in something that can be impossible and yet people believe it. I just don't have proof which leads me away from believing in a higher power, such as God.

In which case, you still do believe that there is a higher power, and are an agnostic theist. Lots of theists are, it's not an unusual stance.

Zealot

Proof of a God? You'll be hard pressed finding that in any philosophical domain. A lot of the proof that theists use to support their belief is typically a form of gnosis or spiritual intuition. Although the Catholic church likes to think that Thomas Aquinas' five proofs, along with various other arguments is sufficient evidence, but they never hit the mark. There are some forms of the cosmological argument that can argue that the universe had a specific cause, and a necessary one at that. However no one has given sufficient reasoning to bridge the gap between a cause for the universe and that cause being a deity. It may even be that before the universe such logic did not exist, so maybe even these arguments don't even hit the mark. So the only evidence you may ever find would be some kind of personal spiritual or religious experience; but you can't really go out and get one of those.

Generous Vampire

11,300 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Cool Cat 500
  • First step to fame 200
The Legendary Guest
AngelsDreadedFear

Actually, it doesn't. An agnostic means a person who who lacks gnosis (knowledge) of spiritual ideas.
The Legendary Guest
AngelsDreadedFear

By whose definition?

Floppy Member

Fermionic
The Legendary Guest
AngelsDreadedFear

By whose definition?

Sources are listed above, Ferm.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas