Welcome to Gaia! ::

Sparkling Man-Lover

12,250 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Tooth Fairy 100
So, y'all know Jediism is an official religion. That's all fine and dandy, but I don't personally agree with Jedi philosophy. And whilst pastafarianism is fun, I have an affinity for sci-fi based religions.

I think that if I were ever to ascribe to any faith, it'd probably be Sithism. As you probably already guessed, it is based on the Sith Order from the Star Wars universe.

Here is their main website.It might not be theistic, but they have some occult teachings. That I could have an issue with, but I think it'd be cool, at any rate.

Just to have it recognized or w/e.

Their basic tenets are known as the Sith Code:

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.
Sounds very selfish.

Hygienic Gawker

It bugs me when people claim 'Jediism is now "official religion"' - the term 'official religion' actually has a meaning, and Jediism isn't one. It is a New Religious Movement, which pretty much just means that someone somewhere acknowledge the existence of the concept. It certainly doesn't have a central governing body or any places of worship, things the IRS lists among 'basic requirements' for recognition as a religion.

Considering it originated as 90s census humour I don't think anyone anywhere would actually claim Jediism to be their religion without their tongue buried pretty deeply in their cheek
PUSS KING
It bugs me when people claim 'Jediism is now "official religion"' - the term 'official religion' actually has a meaning, and Jediism isn't one. It is a New Religious Movement, which pretty much just means that someone somewhere acknowledge the existence of the concept. It certainly doesn't have a central governing body or any places of worship, things the IRS lists among 'basic requirements' for recognition as a religion.

Considering it originated as 90s census humour I don't think anyone anywhere would actually claim Jediism to be their religion without their tongue buried pretty deeply in their cheek

How does it make it any different to real religion?

Shameless Mystic

Dreadpirate Chris Roberts
PUSS KING

How does it make it any different to real religion?
Most religions weren't based off of buck-rodgers-esque space fantasy (well, there is one other...). Most religions can't match the sentiment, "George Lucas was the worst thing to ever happen to Star Wars."

Silly starwars religions are uniquely comical for a variety of reasons, really. The fact the tenants of either can be derived from an Intro to Philosophy class at a community college don't help.

Sparkling Man-Lover

12,250 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Tooth Fairy 100
LoveLoud837
Sounds very selfish.

No more selfish and self-centered than other religions. Maybe Sithism is just a bit more upfront about it.

PUSS KING

It's kind of their belief and their choice of faith or w/e. Who cares if it does not have a central place of worship or their version of a Vatican City? They have a belief in a supernatural energy, namely the Force. Or they claim to.

Who cares? New Religious Movement. Official Religion. Same thing.

Aporeia

Your point being? Christianity is just as absurd. Jediism and Sithism are much cooler and easier to relate to. Not out-dated and just plain uninteresting.

The tenets of Christianity aka the Ten Commandments are s**t.
I'm a little confused on it, they had well known Sith Lords, but not the one who practically set in motion the whole Star Wars plot basically? Darth Sidious? If anything, would he not be more a saviour for the Dark Side than Revan?

Anyway, I think it's interesting if people take it on as a religion. A lemonade stand is as an official business as a shop would be. Both sell. I don't see how you could denounce this as a religion if someone does genuinely believe it.

Sparkling Man-Lover

12,250 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Tooth Fairy 100
Maleficarius
I'm a little confused on it, they had well known Sith Lords, but not the one who practically set in motion the whole Star Wars plot basically? Darth Sidious? If anything, would he not be more a saviour for the Dark Side than Revan?

I prefer Revan over Sidious.

Quote:
Anyway, I think it's interesting if people take it on as a religion. A lemonade stand is as an official business as a shop would be. Both sell. I don't see how you could denounce this as a religion if someone does genuinely believe it.

arrow I concur.
XxRagingHomosexualxX
Maleficarius

I prefer Revan over Sidious.

Quote:

arrow I concur.

I wasn't going to reply fearing this isn't the topic for it lol but then we are discussing people of said religion, so I see no reason why not. I thought Revan was pretty cool. His armor is sweet, that red Mandalorian helmet really made him a memorable figure, and of course, duel wielding both a red and purple lightsaber. I've debated with people before over who is the most powerful sith lord, it usually is a contest between Revan and Sidious, what do you think?

Personally, I think it's Sidious (If you want to continue, I'd glady explain smile )

Sparkling Man-Lover

12,250 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Tooth Fairy 100
Maleficarius

I wasn't going to reply fearing this isn't the topic for it lol but then we are discussing people of said religion, so I see no reason why not. I thought Revan was pretty cool. His armor is sweet, that red Mandalorian helmet really made him a memorable figure, and of course, duel wielding both a red and purple lightsaber. I've debated with people before over who is the most powerful sith lord, it usually is a contest between Revan and Sidious, what do you think?

Personally, I think it's Sidious (If you want to continue, I'd glady explain smile )

arrow Indeed. We are discussing religious figures of sorts, after all.

arrow I've read The Book of Sith and the first book of Path of Destruction, I actually meant to say that I prefer Bane over the two of them. He's just brilliant and an inspirational figure to me. Ignoring the killing, perhaps.
XxRagingHomosexualxX
Maleficarius

arrow Indeed. We are discussing religious figures of sorts, after all.

arrow I've read The Book of Sith and the first book of Path of Destruction, I actually meant to say that I prefer Bane over the two of them. He's just brilliant and an inspirational figure to me. Ignoring the killing, perhaps.

Darth Bane was indeed one of the most rightfully prestigious Sith Lords. His establishment of the Rule Two cannot be denied as one of the biggest, if not the biggest turning point for The Sith. Both figures we've mentioned have played a role in keeping it's establishment. Infact, Darth Bane studying Revan's holocron essentially was the key to the institution of the Rule of Two, as it allowed the establishment of Bane's own Sith Order.

Have you read Darth Plagueis? I read it, and I found it very interesting. Darth Sidious' past is indeed one that sparked my interest (and I do hope he is granted his own spin-off movie with these new Star Wars movies to come!)

Bloodthirsty Sex Symbol

25,025 Points
  • Monster Hunter 100
  • 50 Wins 150
  • Brandisher 100
Remember.....King Kong died for your sins.

Discordia
An official religion?

Sparkling Man-Lover

12,250 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Tooth Fairy 100
Maleficarius

Darth Bane was indeed one of the most rightfully prestigious Sith Lords. His establishment of the Rule Two cannot be denied as one of the biggest, if not the biggest turning point for The Sith. Both figures we've mentioned have played a role in keeping it's establishment. Infact, Darth Bane studying Revan's holocron essentially was the key to the institution of the Rule of Two, as it allowed the establishment of Bane's own Sith Order.

Have you read Darth Plagueis? I read it, and I found it very interesting. Darth Sidious' past is indeed one that sparked my interest (and I do hope he is granted his own spin-off movie with these new Star Wars movies to come!)

arrow I quite agree.

arrow Not yet. I am quite fond of Plagueis, from what I read in The Book Of Sith.

arrow Sidious is a genius in his own right. '

Fermionic

Yes.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out