Welcome to Gaia! ::

Does God have a physical form?

Total Votes:[ 0 ]
This poll closed on March 10, 2005.
No longer accepting new votes.

I go to a Christian Union discussion group, and the speaker last friday worried me. His idea was that God must actually have a set form.
He said:

"The Bible says the Lord protected the Israelites with His strong right arm, therefore He must have a right arm."

"The Bible says the earth is His footstool, so He must have feet."

Etc.

As I see it, these are just metaphors for His power - having a physical form would limit God and, by definition, God cannot be limited.

He said I was limiting God by saying He would be limited by having a physical form.

The issue of God having a set form whilst being omnipresent made a friend wonder if He's actually very fat...

The idea of Him doing everything with a much-bigger-and-better-but-human body made us feel very sorry for Mary >.<

So, how many people agree with the idea of God (not necessarily the Christian God, whatever god you have faith in, if any) having a fixed shape? Also, if you do, how do you reconcile that with His abilities?
The only time I believe God ever had a physical form was when He came in the bodily flesh, known as Jesus Christ. God is called a Rock and a shield. Shall we believe that God is really a rock or a shield? Jesus Christ called Himself the "vine." Should we believe that Christ was really a vine? This would be absurd. They're metaphors, dear. But your pastor seems to take them literally. I guess as what Axioma would probably ask is, "Does Jesus Christ really have a sword coming out of His mouth?"
The universe and anything else, I suppose. Or maybe just this universe.

edit: The OP said this didn't necessarily apply to the christian god, so I answered.
Also remember that god made man in his image so yes in the judeochristian tradition he has a body, though perhaps only for humans to better understand him.
Theopneustos
They're metaphors, dear.

Exactly what I said, (see above), so no thanks with the patronising tone.

Unfortunately my objections and queries were met with a sad, sympathetic smile and getting "Trust in God with all your heart" quoted at me. He didn't appreciate me pointing out that if God used human eyes to see with, He couldn't look everywhere at once. Nor my quoting, "God created humans in His own image; it did not take long for us to return the compliment".
Newski
Also remember that god made man in his image so yes in the judeochristian tradition he has a body, though perhaps only for humans to better understand him.

I love this. More words taken out of context.
Newski

Argh! I take that to mean in that He gave us some level of free will, not sure if that's the general view on that, but certainly not physical appearance, as, as far as I'm concerned, God doesn't have one, dammit!
Theopneustos
Newski

I love this. More words taken out of context.

Not taking it out of context, just saying what it says. Besides, its not me saying this you should be worrying about. Its the people who think that because he made man in his image that women are lesser you should worry about.

Im going based on my knowledge, and according to the bible God has a physical body, this is just part of the evidence. If you take it literally, of course. I never said I believe it, i don't believe in God. But this context has been used to support the idea before.

Re: Philosophy 140 with my mentor.
Weebleflip
Exactly what I said, (see above), so no thanks with the patronising tone.

Oh, my apologies. I wasn't intending to sound like that. But, moving along.

Weebleflip
Unfortunately my objections and queries were met with a sad, sympathetic smile and getting "Trust in God with all your heart" quoted at me.

Well, that's a good idea. But is there anything wrong with having questions so you can strengthen your faith? I wouldn't think so.

Weebleflip
He didn't appreciate me pointing out that if God used human eyes to see with, He couldn't look everywhere at once.

Well, this really has no problem, because an omniscient being would know what's already occurring elsewhere without the need of eyes. By the way, if used figuratively, the word "eye" can mean omniscience in the Bible.

Weebleflip
Nor my quoting, "God created humans in His own image; it did not take long for us to return the compliment".

Well, I'd like to give a little interpretation about this. What does it mean when it says that God made us in His image? It does not mean that He created us exactly like Himself, because God has no physical body. Instead, we reflect God's glory. There are some people who believe that this mean that our reason, creativity, self-determination, etc., is the image of God.
i think god is a being that can have no form. becuase if he was limited to one form, then he would not be .... *thinks for word* as powerful and forgiving as he is
Newski
Not taking it out of context, just saying what it says. Besides, its not me saying this you should be worrying about. Its the people who think that because he made man in his image that women are lesser you should worry about.

I should worry about this? That's funny. I don't recall this discussion ever being about women being subordinated. Stay on topic please.

Newski
Im going based on my knowledge, and according to the bible God has a physical body, this is just part of the evidence. If you take it literally, of course. I never said I believe it, i don't believe in God. But this context has been used to support the idea before.

Re: Philosophy 140 with my mentor.

Context? Well, let's see here. You basically didn't even put it in context. Instead, you read it at face value and said, "Yes, I guess this means that God has a physical form." Text without context is pretext. Learn it. Live it. Love it.
Theopneustos

Weebleflip
He didn't appreciate me pointing out that if God used human eyes to see with, He couldn't look everywhere at once.

Well, this really has no problem, because an omniscient being would know what's already occurring elsewhere without the need of eyes. By the way, if used figuratively, the word "eye" can mean omniscience in the Bible.

Yeah, I agree completely with you there. The thing was that the speaker (Missionary come over to England from Africa) was saying that God could only see because He had eyes, meaning human-eyes by that. He used the fact that the Bible says God can "see everything" to mean He must have actual eyes. He said God couldn't possibly be omniscient if He didn't have eyes to see with >.<

Just like he used the fact the Holy Spirit spoke to people to mean He must have a mouth.
Ask him if he believes Jesus actually has a sword growing out of his mouth, and ask him if he thinks it's a claymore, a dirk, a broadsword or maybe a b*****d sword.
Newski
Its the people who think that because he made man in his image that women are lesser you should worry about.
Okay, you may just mean this as a pun, but I'll address it seriously anyway. In Hebrew, there are no gender-neutral words. So the word for people is the same as the word for men. Plus, even in English, man is often used to mean all of mankind.

rath_eryuser
i think god is a being that can have no form. becuase if he was limited to one form, then he would not be .... *thinks for word* as powerful and forgiving as he is
Mrrh. I wonder why people always imply that omnipotence would come with limitations like this one. Obviously, a being that can do anything will be able to take whatever form it pleases, or even limit itself to one form. Just because something doesn't change forms, it doesn't mean it doesn't have the ability to do so. Drawing a parallel, vegetarians still have the ability to eat meat, and virgins who have taken lifelong vows of celibacy still have the ability to screw.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff