Welcome to Gaia! ::

Shaggy Gekko

8,725 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Friendly 100
So, if anyone can tell by my username, I'm a total doomster. Not a hipster that's into doom metal either.

There's an obscure subgenre of doom called Funeral Doom that was pioneered by several bands in the early 1990s, one of them being Thergothon. Those guys released a demo and an album before disbanding. Niko Skorpio moved on to electronica and such in the following years.

Another band that is considered a very important influence on the genre is Skepticism, also from Finland. Definitely not the first on the scene though.

Mordor from Switzerland has some really dark stuff. Odes and Csejthe may be "just demos" but both are 40-50 minute epics in their own right.

Perhaps the earliest funeral doom band is Voj, from Russia. There seems to be a pattern of funeral doom bands coming from really cold places. Their full length album was released in early 1991, several months before Thergothon's demo "Fhtagn..." and sounds sludgy and with a definite Celtic Frost influence in both the riffs and the vocals.

Coming from a land that is not so cold is Mournful Congregation from Australia, my personal favorite. The Monad of Creation is a masterpiece, as are all of their other albums. Seriously, check out Book of Kings. It may have a thirty minute song, but it doesn't feel like a thirty minute song.

Esoteric is another band that's been around for a while from the United Kingdom. I actually got to see these guys live a few months ago in Baltimore. What a show! There are a few bands that try and imitate their sound but none come close (except maybe Urna) they are a very psychedelic and unique band. Four of their albums are double albums, often exceeding two hours in length - recent compositions involve three guitars. Even their bass player has two rows of pedals at his feet.

Evoken is often compared to Esoteric. They are from New Jersey and should be a band I'd get to see. One of these days I will. They are darker, more death/doom and stuff.

Worship from Germany is a famous band. Most of their releases are splits with other bands, not all of them doom. They have three albums out - I consider their "Last CD before Doomsday" a true full length instead of a demo because of how awesome it is.

Can you believe there is a funeral doom band called Funeral? They're from Norway, though their recent albums are more of a melodic death/doom sort with massive gothic influences. Their most recent album, Oratorium, sort of returns them to their funeral doom roots with death growls and slow songs.

I could talk about more bands but I might mention all of the bands the rest of you might have possibly heard of.

So I'll just continue anyway because I feel like mentioning Murkrat and Mandy Andresen, who is in two other doom metal projects that would appeal to fans of funeral doom: Crone and The Slow Death.

Omit is another female fronted funeral doom group. Also one of my all time favorites!

I'll have more bands to talk about if discussion really gets going, and seeing how I've already come across a few posts in other topics about bands I've never heard of I'm hopeful that some undiscovered funeral doom treasure is out there awaiting to be discovered.
i have a hard on for bands with good quality female leads so i will definitely be checking out that link

Some of my favourite funeral doom is Pantheist of course, being my fave.

1000 Funerals is good but was cut too short unfortunately
Esoteric is excellent. I enjoy Evoken and Mournful Congregation, as well. I'm also a fan of Skepticism, Ahab, Funeral, Moss, Pantheist, Mistress of the Dead, and Grivf.

Shaggy Gekko

8,725 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Friendly 100
Mistress of the Dead is insane! How can one guy record so many albums? I haven't listened to any except "The River of Quietest Death" which is a pretty good demo. Really raw.

I like raw, Night of Suicide does it on their best album Unanswered.

I also like strange sounding dooms. I consider Astral Sleep a funeral doom band, but they have a knack for weirdness and at times also raw sounds. Fellow Finnish band Aarni is... indescribable. Experimental. Very strange.

Grove is a very obscure band from Pennsylvania that I found a demo of a while back. Of Moss and Men. Very interesting listen! There's some harsh vocals but it has epic doom style vocals with eerie synths. I wish I could find this on Youtube.

Friendly Friend

just how obscure is it exactly

Shaggy Gekko

8,725 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Friendly 100
So obscure ... they still use Myspace, but haven't logged in in a long time. https://myspace.com/grovedoom - nothing on facebook or bandcamp that I can find. Many results for "Grove" but none for "Of Moss And Men".

I would upload the album somewhere, but I don't think the TOS would allow that. However, there's nothing stopping me from trying to contact the guys behind Grove (tricky since they are listed under aliases on Metal Archives) and seeing if they might put their demo up for download. If they were to do that, I would link to their official link. This is hard because I have yet to find them, though my best lead is doom-metal.com

Friendly Friend

well I was talking about the genre but I guess that works too

Shaggy Gekko

8,725 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Friendly 100
It is rare for bands to play outside of their home country, though some are able to do so. They don't make money from it though.

When I saw Esoteric in Baltimore, it was in a tiny place that had a really small stage. The whole band did not fit, their keyboardist had to set up in front of the stage. The stage itself was a foot high. Small bar in the back.

Funeral doom bands, especially the well known ones that Doghouse Reilly mentioned, do play larger shows. These are mainly festivals and more or less limited to Europe. Metal in general gets a much better audience in Europe than in the United States.

Evoken does shows here and there, often as openers. On a few instances they've headlined shows but it's never far from their home in New Jersey. This is why I feel it is only a matter of time before I get to see them, because I would be willing to drive six hours to do so. I drove nearly four hours to see Esoteric in Baltimore, after all.
real los angeles
well I was talking about the genre but I guess that works too

Metal fans are generally aware of it as a genre, but it's fairly niche. It has its big players like Ahab, Esoteric, Skepticism, Mournful Congregation, and so on, but it doesn't necessarily have the same following as traditional doom metal, stoner doom, or even death doom for that matter.
By the way, Thergothon, I didn't see that you had mentioned Funeral in your OP. I know I already mentioned that I'm a fan, but I thought I'd bring them up because they're honestly one of my favorite metal bands. They're a big reason why I got into metal in the first place, and why doom tends to be my preferred metal subgenre. Their most acclaimed album is From These Wounds, which is more of a straight doom metal album with some gothic elements, though it's still excellent in its own right. Two of their earlier albums, though, Tragedies and Tristesse are absolutely essential for anyone with any interest in funeral doom. Incredible stuff.

Shaggy Gekko

8,725 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Friendly 100
In Fields of Pestilent Grief is a great album. The shrill female vocals at first turned me off, but when I listened to it I just kept coming back for more. It's a top-notch record!

I highly recommend listening to Oratorium. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMQ4gHP4TrI
Are you into Sol at all? I've been getting back into his stuff as of late.

Friendly Hunter

Doghouse Reilly
Esoteric is excellent. I enjoy Evoken and Mournful Congregation, as well. I'm also a fan of Skepticism, Ahab, Funeral, Moss, Pantheist, Mistress of the Dead, and Grivf.

Newbie Noob

Don't forget the Russian Ea

Tipsy Citizen

Every now and then when I get the itch I'll play a track or two of Despond, Monolithe, Esoteric or Asunder..

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff