Welcome to Gaia! ::

Naughty Nerd

41,625 Points
  • Miasmal Lake Defender 250
  • Miasmal Lake Champion 500
  • Jump Start Boot 100
Even though I never received the sacrament of Confirmation. (For anyone unfamiliar with Catholicism, people typically become confirmed around age 14, at which point they are considered responsible members of the Church. Anyone who has not been confirmed is not technically "required" to participate in the various rituals regarding holidays, such as not eating meat on Fridays during Lent, but may choose to just for self-discipline or whatever. There are confirmation classes for adults and older teens who missed their confirmation date, but I choose not to attend one because I no longer identify as 100% Catholic.)

Anyway, I can't decide what to give up. I can't give up the Internet for 40 days, because, well, then I'd have literally almost nothing to do for 40 days. I can't give up wrestling for 40 days, because then when I come back I'd have missed so much of the storyline (including Wrestlemania...). It is probably best I give up a kind of food for 40 days, but I don't do the food shopping in the house, and I only have a little bit of say in the decisions of what to buy.

I know none of you really know me well enough to make the decision for me, and I've been told it's supposed to be a personal decision made only by oneself, but I at least need a little assistance for a general idea of what to do, or how to arrive at a decision. Anyone have any advice?

Shameless Tipper

18,225 Points
  • Winged 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Generous 100
They did confirmation at 17 in my church. I haven't given up anything for Lent in years, but the main thing I've given up for Lent was cussing. I've given up gossiping before, too, but the other main thing I did was...instead of giving something up, I would pray my rosary every day. I usually kept that up even after Lent until I would get sick, and that would screw up my routine.

Naughty Nerd

41,625 Points
  • Jump Start Boot 100
Pandilicious
They did confirmation at 17 in my church. I haven't given up anything for Lent in years, but the main thing I've given up for Lent was cussing. I've given up gossiping before, too, but the other main thing I did was...instead of giving something up, I would pray my rosary every day. I usually kept that up even after Lent until I would get sick, and that would screw up my routine.
I never cuss out loud and I barely ever gossip, but I must say if those are your biggest vices, you must be pretty well off. smile
Shamelessly formatted by GaiArch.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Shameless Tipper

18,225 Points
  • Winged 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Generous 100
basselope7
Pandilicious
I never cuss out loud and I barely ever gossip, but I must say if those are your biggest vices, you must be pretty well off. smile
Shamelessly formatted by GaiArch.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

lol thanks. Like I said, it's been years since I've given up anything. Really, though, I think those two are still my biggest ones. They're the only things that stick out anyway. I remember my sister gave up pot one year. My mom wasn't amused that she needed to give it up at all, but I remember being glad she had done it. She didn't do it for long, but still not a bad thing to give up. She's also given up cussing, but I can't remember what else she gave up. My friends generally didn't bother giving things up, so that's all I can think of unless you're a klepto or something lol.

Sarcastic Prophet

I thought you might appreciate this article. It has certainly left me with some inspiration! smile

Naughty Nerd

41,625 Points
  • Jump Start Boot 100
Ebania
I thought you might appreciate this article. It has certainly left me with some inspiration! smile
I can't believe I didn't think of the "stop complaining or being negative" one sooner. I'm going to alter it a bit though and specifically make it into "stop arguing." Thanks for the help! ^_^

Zeren the Morph's Comrade

Salty Phantom

coffee maybe? or chocolate?

hmm...

i never bother, im not very religious but I do like the idea of bettering yourself

hmm i dont know, thats all that i can think of for now

Excitable Strawberry

If you can't pick one thing out of your normal routine, pick something singular that you like that you know you'll miss and will remind you of what you're doing. Like, if you like soda, maybe not give up all soda but give up your favorite kind.

I don't know, I'm an adult and I'm Orthodox Christian and we give up a lot of stuff. Horse Racing is my second favorite sport and I couldn't watch the Kentucky Derby because it was in the middle of Lent last year. We give up all animal products, alcohol, etc. I just know that I love Jesus more than I love those other things. If you're worried about finding something to do that empty space gives you time to read your Bible. This is your life.

And 40 days is longish but it'll be over and spring will be in full bloom soon enough.

Swashbuckling Bookworm

29,325 Points
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Wry Dealer 500
  • Bookworm 100
Sushi is my go to comfort food in times of high stress

Also costs a lot

So for Lent last year I gave up my sushi binges to find another way to cope

I've rediscovered a cheaper and more positive outlet - writing!

So my suggestion?
Find something personal to *give up* which allows time for reflection, if nothing else you may re-discover about yourself which you may have overlooked

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff