Welcome to Gaia! ::

What do you think is Tsugumi Ohba's gender?

Male 0.49438202247191 49.4% [ 44 ]
Female 0.35955056179775 36.0% [ 32 ]
Shinigami (me: get out of here. this is serious stuff) 0.14606741573034 14.6% [ 13 ]
Total Votes:[ 89 ]
1 2 3 >

650 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
  • Window Shopper 100
Let me ask you a question that is almost as hard as catching Kira. *sits down and opens a suitcase*

Who is the creator of Death Note?

Sure i know its "Tsugumi Obha" but is this person a man or a woman? Is "Tsugumi Ohba" even this person's real name?

I would like to know what you think with the reason why. This question has puzzled millions all over the world. This is a case for......L!!!

So what do YOU think? oh and if any sexist remarks are made...plz do not be offended (cause if u think about it Death Note is male dominated)

YAY GO DEATH NOTE sweatdrop hehehe <_< >_>

650 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
  • Window Shopper 100
I personally think that Tsugumi Ohba is actually a woman, for multiple reasons.
1. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. as u can c in this picture it kinda looks like a shadow of a woman...but then again it could b a man.....ok next point.
2. Ohba likes to collect teacups....isnt that a girl thing to do? (sorry 4 any sterotyping and i am sorry if i offend ppl)
3. Ohba likes to buy things for the pets owned. (ohba says this in one of the mangas i cant remeber which one0
4. Ohba has a very feminine way in speaking. eg. when ohba was asked about ryuk in the death note movies ohba said "ryuk was CG but he turned out reli smooth and well coordinated"

idk this is reli hard...thats all i cam up with so far sweatdrop this is a reli hard case

6,250 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Signature Look 250
I always thought that image was more like Misa or Naomi... ^^; Specially in the interviews in 13- and, the other guy's was a little grim reaper, which is certainly not what they look like in real life... And I thought the talking was a bit feminine, but chopped it up to the way things were translated from Japanese to English...

I think it's a guy. Though... it'd be cool, too, if it was a girl. DN has less fighting in it than is typically in a man's manga, and more plot work which I know a lot of guys would get bored with... But still, part of me says it's a guy.
User Image
    消逝中的存在--
    Main account has been perma-banned since October 29th, 2008 for "botting". Wtf Gaia?

The pen name is more to the masculine side, but then, pen names can be deceiving sweatdrop
      User Image

Questing: User Image User Image User Image User Image
DC eggs: User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. Walking: User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Collecting Mall Cop Shirts! 91/120
I think Ohba is a girl. My reasoning is because of how Ohba's female characters turn out. (I know I might sound feminist with this, don't mean to offend anyone) The female characters are so well developed and they do almost exactly what any woman in reality in this situation would do. Male mangaka's seem to have the problem of protraying the many emotions of women. (and most of them make the women out to be really strong, really smexy, or really shy with no bad personalities to them. You can ask every girl you know, they will tell you that every girl has a really bad quality about them. They might not tell you what the quality is, but they'll tell you that there is one. Ohba's girls actually act like real girls and not like the "robo chicks" men think that we are. (granted I'm applying this to the manga I read. There might be somewhere where a man mangaka did an excellent job at portraying women, but there will be even small differences.
some people think it's a pen name for Hiroshi Gamō (ガモウひろし) who happens to be a man.

But who knows? neutral
To quote myself from my Bakuman thread;
Quote:
I know I keep casually referencing Hiroshi Gamo as Tsugumi Ohba's true identity, but I keep having to remind myself that he's not very well known and neither is his manga, so here's the OP to Gamo's Tottemo! Luckyman anime. If you compare it with the images of some of Mashiro Nobuhiro's supposed art style with some of the brief shots of Cho-Hero Densetsu([X][X][X]) I'm sure you'll notice the similarities and begin to understand where my crackpot theory is coming from. Given the amount of focus that is given to the character Mahisro Nobuhiro's philosophy of being a mangaka I doubt that kind of homage would be placed in such a spot unless Gamo Hiroshi's work was truly close or important to either Tsugumi or Takeshi.

In DeathNote, very early on, Light's cram school was named after Gamo, and the naming of schools after the author is a popular trend among mangaka, which was the hint that sparked the theory in the first place. That aside, from what Ohba and Obata's new serialized title, Bakuman, has shown, it's almost certain that Ohba is Hiroshi Gamo. Considering that Gamo has only ever had one successful title, and from the fact that it was a gag-manga, it would make a lot of sense that he would want to hide his name when suddenly changing audiences to a more serious crowd.
I originally thought it was a guy. Considering all the guys in the series and only a guy could make someone as stereotypical, pathetic, and annoying as Misa (oh wait I forgot Stephanie Meyer!).

Then I re-read the first volume of Death Note, ALL of it, and on the first page (rather introductory page) w/ the mini profile for Tsugumi Ohba, is says 'Day and night, develops manga plots while holding knees on a chair.' At the top of the page, it shows a feminine-looking figure kneeling down sort of picking at an apple.

650 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
  • Window Shopper 100
well there are 2 conclusions i have come to....
* ohba is a woman
* ohba is a feminine man

but i seriously think we should hire L (someone whispers "L isnt a real person" ) *gasp* dont say such things! U FREAK....

ahem well i just hope this case can be solved and i hope we can work together to solve this case.

Hunter

6,125 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
angel41791
I think Ohba is a girl. My reasoning is because of how Ohba's female characters turn out. (I know I might sound feminist with this, don't mean to offend anyone) The female characters are so well developed and they do almost exactly what any woman in reality in this situation would do. Male mangaka's seem to have the problem of protraying the many emotions of women. (and most of them make the women out to be really strong, really smexy, or really shy with no bad personalities to them. You can ask every girl you know, they will tell you that every girl has a really bad quality about them. They might not tell you what the quality is, but they'll tell you that there is one. Ohba's girls actually act like real girls and not like the "robo chicks" men think that we are. (granted I'm applying this to the manga I read. There might be somewhere where a man mangaka did an excellent job at portraying women, but there will be even small differences.

I think the characters of Death Note are very well developed, but I think the portrayal of women has a kind of masculine ring to it, though maybe that's because most of the interactions with women are through Light's character, who is pretty...well, womanizing? xd
There are just a few assumptions in the plot that women have weak wills (not necessarily intelligence) that I think would sound weird written from a girl.

There's a funny rant-comic by silentreaper about it...

Anyway, I feel like in the 13th volume it referred to Ohba as a guy, but that might have been a convenience of translation?

650 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
  • Window Shopper 100
Agorna
angel41791

I think the characters of Death Note are very well developed, but I think the portrayal of women has a kind of masculine ring to it, though maybe that's because most of the interactions with women are through Light's character, who is pretty...well, womanizing? xd
There are just a few assumptions in the plot that women have weak wills (not necessarily intelligence) that I think would sound weird written from a girl.

Anyway, I feel like in the 13th volume it referred to Ohba as a guy, but that might have been a convenience of translation?

LOL i read the comic things AHAHAHAHA so funny crying i just wish theres more than 3 comics lol they were reli good.

ahem getting back to the point....idk ohba COULD be a man...who speaks very femininely OR ohba could b a normal man that speaks manly and just PRETENDS to sound feminine so that ohba can TRICK everyone....cause rememer ppl....this person is smarter than both L AND KIRA as this person created the world's genius's (someone comes in: wat kind of world do u live in? like i said b4 L isnt real...sooo) *throws a huge text book @ the person*

ahem back to the point.....
Agorna
angel41791

I can see your point of view on the fact that the female characters seem so weak willed, but wouldn't it be in a male mangaka's best interest not to make the characters seem that way? They would be called sexist and in turn lose fans. (a horrible view on the idea, but you know the possibility of it happening) Where as a female mangaka would recieve less criticsm on the matter. And another thing, the female characters look like side characters is because they ARE side characters. If the main point of the manga is a battle between some of the smartest men on earth, then why would you make any of the side characters nothing more than pawns in the game? And on top of that, isn't it extremely clique if the protagonist or antagonist is female? I would also bring the silent symbol of which gender is more dominering. The manga does do this, but not to such a strong extent. They way the manga plays this out is common in most cultures. (you can argue with me on this all you want, but men are still considered the dominate gender even today. and this is coming from a female.)

In the end I guess I'm saying that I believe a female would have more guts to make females sit in the back seat of a manga. Look at many popular mangas that were made by men. A lot of them has the female as a strong main character, or a strong side character. (which either loves the protagonist or is loved by the protagonist)

Sparkly Star

Both creators are men.

/thread.

650 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
  • Window Shopper 100
iExorcist
Both creators are men.

/thread.

-_- how do u know their both men?? ok takeshi obata (illustrator) is a guy, we all know that...but wat about ohba?

650 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
  • Window Shopper 100
angel41791
Agorna
angel41791

I can see your point of view on the fact that the female characters seem so weak willed, but wouldn't it be in a male mangaka's best interest not to make the characters seem that way? They would be called sexist and in turn lose fans. (a horrible view on the idea, but you know the possibility of it happening) Where as a female mangaka would recieve less criticsm on the matter. And another thing, the female characters look like side characters is because they ARE side characters. If the main point of the manga is a battle between some of the smartest men on earth, then why would you make any of the side characters nothing more than pawns in the game? And on top of that, isn't it extremely clique if the protagonist or antagonist is female? I would also bring the silent symbol of which gender is more dominering. The manga does do this, but not to such a strong extent. They way the manga plays this out is common in most cultures. (you can argue with me on this all you want, but men are still considered the dominate gender even today. and this is coming from a female.)

In the end I guess I'm saying that I believe a female would have more guts to make females sit in the back seat of a manga. Look at many popular mangas that were made by men. A lot of them has the female as a strong main character, or a strong side character. (which either loves the protagonist or is loved by the protagonist)

mhmm i was thinking the same (i know its sexist but its usually true) also most male mangaka have at least 2 female big breasted women (eg. matsumoto and habiel from bleach. tsunade and hinata in naruto shippuden) and in death note there arent any....(well ok that kiyomi girl does have a well figure, but their not as large as other female characters we;ve seen) all the girls in death note seem to have a very natural feel to them and they are unnaturally well rounded. (eg. misa she has a small figure and is not so rounded as some other anime ppl)

also ohba reli knows how girls would react in situations....so ohba is either a woman, or a man who knows how women think lol

also mite i add.....some of the businessmen in death note (like that kira tv presenter...i 4got he;s name) was reli well ugly and fat...which is how most women c them. (well i do sweatdrop i know sexist sweatdrop ) and and how that business kira (4got the guys name) wanted to marry misa and tried to rape (well it looked like it) her...thats how most women c business men to be.....they take advantage of women (ok SOME of them do not ALL of them)

......*reads wat i just typed* ....i think im getting off topic sweatdrop

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces