Welcome to Gaia! ::

I'm just curious on what you guys think of the design of the Dwarves for The Hobbit? Here's a link showing all 13!

http://images.hollywood.com/site/hobbitsupersize.jpg

There's been a great deal of controversy, mostly revolving around Thorin, and a bit about Nori (far left). With Nori, most people think his hair is ridiculous and therefore bad. It's ridiculous, but IMO, in the best way possible. *shrug*
As for Thorin, they've taken a good deal of liberty with changing his age. And yes, that's a departure from the book, but I think we all need to remember that this is a MOVIE. Anyone who knows anything about making movies knows that changes MUST be made to suit the medium. I'm not gonna lie, they've made Thorin kinda hot - it makes me confused XD LOL But really, he looks excellent, in my opinion.

I think they've done a fantastic job with the designs on everyone. Everyone looks very distinctive - which is SO HARD to do in a movie where you have 13 Dwarves who could easily all look the same.

My personal favorite of the bunch is Bombur (surely you can pick him out! He's the fattest one! XD). I just think is design is brilliant.

What do you guys think? ^_^ heart

(I checked to make sure this wasn't already posted, but if it has been, my apologies gonk )
No, it hasn't been posted, as a thread anyhow.

I'm not completely pleased with the Dwarves designs but, I think... overall I trust Peter Jackson. I was nervous about LoTR at first as well, but it turned out really good. So I'm going to hope for the best.
OK cool smile

Yeah, I think we can trust Peter. I also was a bit nervous about LOTR and while I know I'm going to love The Hobbit, I am a little nervous about it because of having to add female characters and change a lot of things (since it's a MOVIE and many things must be changed inevitably in order for it to work).
BUT we can trust that the movie WILL be good biggrin For sure! ^_^

Apocalyptic Comrade

28,650 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Hero 100
I thought Thorin was older than that. XD I suppose every fanfiction shipping him with..well..anyone who looks 18 is just gunna give me a good chuckle once the movie is out. They look alright though. Some actually do match the image that always popped into my head when I saw their names and descriptions.

Unbeatable Raider

6,300 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Survivor 150
Cara Ordinary Vanity
I'm just curious on what you guys think of the design of the Dwarves for The Hobbit? Here's a link showing all 13!

http://images.hollywood.com/site/hobbitsupersize.jpg

There's been a great deal of controversy, mostly revolving around Thorin, and a bit about Nori (far left). With Nori, most people think his hair is ridiculous and therefore bad. It's ridiculous, but IMO, in the best way possible. *shrug*
As for Thorin, they've taken a good deal of liberty with changing his age. And yes, that's a departure from the book, but I think we all need to remember that this is a MOVIE. Anyone who knows anything about making movies knows that changes MUST be made to suit the medium. I'm not gonna lie, they've made Thorin kinda hot - it makes me confused XD LOL But really, he looks excellent, in my opinion.

I think they've done a fantastic job with the designs on everyone. Everyone looks very distinctive - which is SO HARD to do in a movie where you have 13 Dwarves who could easily all look the same.

My personal favorite of the bunch is Bombur (surely you can pick him out! He's the fattest one! XD). I just think is design is brilliant.

thx for da tip cant wait for the movie

What do you guys think? ^_^ heart

(I checked to make sure this wasn't already posted, but if it has been, my apologies gonk )
Haha yeah, Thorin is supposed to be WAYYYY older that that XDD But he looks cool either way XDDD

And LOL at the fanfiction comment XDDD Blehhh >< XD

Greedy Grabber

20,300 Points
  • Alchemy Level 5 100
  • Alchemy Level 4 100
  • Alchemy Level 3 100
Some of them are rather ridiculous looking, but I'm pretty much okay with that. After all, the Hobbit was written as a children's book, and is sillier and lighter in tone than LotR. I'd prefer if Thorin were older, though, and had a proper bushy Dwarven beard.

Actually, I'm less weirded-out by the goofy hairdos than by how much of a prettyboy Kili is. The first time I saw the pictures of the Dwarven cast, I did a double take. "Dwarves are not pretty, what is this I don't even..." o_O He is one of the youngest so it makes a certain amount of sense, but I was not expecting that.
Carrion Kitten
Some of them are rather ridiculous looking, but I'm pretty much okay with that. After all, the Hobbit was written as a children's book, and is sillier and lighter in tone than LotR. I'd prefer if Thorin were older, though, and had a proper bushy Dwarven beard.

Actually, I'm less weirded-out by the goofy hairdos than by how much of a prettyboy Kili is. The first time I saw the pictures of the Dwarven cast, I did a double take. "Dwarves are not pretty, what is this I don't even..." o_O He is one of the youngest so it makes a certain amount of sense, but I was not expecting that.

Ahahaha definitely agreed XD I was really shocked by the reveal of Kili and Fili. I think both of them are rather pretty XD But I think they did that because... it's kind of sad that no one thinks any Dwarves are hot. XD Something about that is just kinda sad XDDD Maybe. biggrin Maybe they thought "Dwarves need love, too!!" XD Anyway, they are rather young in the book anyway - perhaps Dwarves are hot at some point in their lives. We don't really know for sure XDDD
But yeah, it's a weird feeling seeing a hot Dwarf tho XD

Eloquent Streaker

I see no real problem with the designs, although admittedly it's been years since I read The Hobbit.
I was a bit peeved at the age differences, but then again Frodo was...I don't even remember, over 30, when he goes romping off, and they still made him barely 20. I always wondered why there couldn't be movies with the main characters being older fellows, but I guess that's just Hollywood.

I think their costumes are wonderful! The Hobbit book isn't big on personalities, so the dwarfs always seemed similar in manner to me. But it's apparent that all 12 of them are going to be distinctly different from each other in the movie, so they've got to have their own style!

3,200 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Contributor 150
Starblade
I was a bit peeved at the age differences, but then again Frodo was...I don't even remember, over 30, when he goes romping off, and they still made him barely 20. I always wondered why there couldn't be movies with the main characters being older fellows, but I guess that's just Hollywood.

I think their costumes are wonderful! The Hobbit book isn't big on personalities, so the dwarfs always seemed similar in manner to me. But it's apparent that all 12 of them are going to be distinctly different from each other in the movie, so they've got to have their own style!

Frodo was 50 when he set off on his quest but he looked like he was 30ish (just past being a teenager in hobbit years) because of the ring. There was a very large time lapse where they skipped stuff in the movie though.
I'm not THAT enthusiastic about the dwarf design (especially for Thorin), but I think I'll get used to it once I see the film.

Fashionable Raider

9,300 Points
  • Love Machine 150
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Object of Affection 150

To be honest, when I first saw that picture, I was disappointed as heck. The reason being that they're not at all how I pictured any of them to be in the book. But naturally, when someone's making a movie, they're going to make the characters look more-or-less how they see them in their mind - not the viewer's mind.
In short, I don't like how they look, but whatever. I'm sure I'll get used to their appearance after seeing them in the movie.

To me, Thorin looks more like a short man - not a dwarf. =(

Bashful Shapeshifter

9,250 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
My beef? Why does Thorin not have a proper beard? That just seems inexcusable to me.
Other than that, I still don't like the designs. sweatdrop I rather liked Gimli's design in LotR as I thought it was spot on. I'll live with them, though.
But if you want the truth... When I see them, I think "lawn gnomes". >.>

But... the beard. That's something I just can't get over.
Sincerely, dwarf lover. <3

Codebreaking Pirate

8,900 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Nerd 50
  • Jolly Roger 50
All of which makes me anxious

I think Nori looks great. I do wish Thorin had more of a beard, and Kili looks too human.

At times, unbearably so

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces