Sweet Lolita 0.23076923076923 23.1% [ 3 ]
Dark Lolita 0.30769230769231 30.8% [ 4 ]
Both 0.38461538461538 38.5% [ 5 ]
goldies 0.076923076923077 7.7% [ 1 ]
Total Votes:[ 13 ]
1 2 3 >

Sugary Daredevil

Hi guys
I just finished my new sweet lolita dress what do you think?

User Image
User ImageUser Image

YugureMuffin's Princess

Shy Snowflake

13,600 Points
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
Omg, it's so cute!~ surprised
Was that the dress you told me about? :3

Sugary Daredevil

Angelliya

yep yep smile
thank you

YugureMuffin's Princess

Shy Snowflake

13,600 Points
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
ThatGirlFromGalifrey
Angelliya

yep yep smile
thank you
You're very welcome~ :3
This inspires me even more~

Sugary Daredevil

Angelliya
ThatGirlFromGalifrey
Angelliya

yep yep smile
thank you
You're very welcome~ :3
This inspires me even more~

awesome smile
Frankly it is very bad. There is nothing really good I can say about it? Fabric is iffy, structure is bad, length is bad, lace is bad, just all of it.

You are going to be better off just buying lolita until you are better at figure out what makes a good outfit or not. You have some sewing skills but are lacking a lot.

Doctor Pines's Queen

Thylacine Friend

14,100 Points
  • De-Extinctionist 500
  • Candy Fiend 150
  • Cool Cat 500
The above poster is being unnecessarily mean, but you do have a lot more to learn. I am looking at this on my phone, will be back with gentler critical later. I think you should keep trying but you will need a lot more fabric and better lace to make this work.

Sugary Daredevil

AradiaWindbourne
The above poster is being unnecessarily mean, but you do have a lot more to learn. I am looking at this on my phone, will be back with gentler critical later. I think you should keep trying but you will need a lot more fabric and better lace to make this work.

it´s okay, I feel bad for the person above they must have had a really bad day or something. I wish them well

Citizen

I like the idea of it but...
{oh noe, the dreaded but}

Hmmm, im wondering what sort of pattern you used for this. I am having doubts as to how this would look worn.

Is there elastic in the top?

Did you prewash the fabric? from the creases it looks like you didnt iron, which while annoying does make a difference.

I like the fabric you used and the shape of your bows.
I assure you this is better than my attempts {sewing is scary, you just need to practice}

Would the op or anyone else on here be interested in a sew along?

Sugary Daredevil

Cryptocrystalline
I like the idea of it but...
{oh noe, the dreaded but}

Hmmm, im wondering what sort of pattern you used for this. I am having doubts as to how this would look worn.

Is there elastic in the top?

Did you prewash the fabric? from the creases it looks like you didnt iron, which while annoying does make a difference.

I like the fabric you used and the shape of your bows.
I assure you this is better than my attempts {sewing is scary, you just need to practice}

Would the op or anyone else on here be interested in a sew along?

I used this video to make it. And No, I didnt prewash I didn´t know you should x.x emotion_facepalm and I don´t have an iron emotion_bandaid

But the top and middle have elastic

its my first one before this I only made simple stuff

Im glad you like my bows oh and whats a sew along?

Doctor Pines's Queen

Thylacine Friend

14,100 Points
  • De-Extinctionist 500
  • Candy Fiend 150
  • Cool Cat 500
ThatGirlFromGalifrey
AradiaWindbourne

it´s okay, I feel bad for the person above they must have had a really bad day or something. I wish them well

Okay. Having had a chance to look at the picture on a full size screen, here are my thoughts:

1) You absolutely must pre-wash, pre-shrink and iron your fabric before you cut anything out. I hate ironing, but I do iron fabric before cutting and I iron the pieces as I work (to press/finish seams and shape the garment). If you don't iron the fabric before you cut, and it isn't absolutely flat, your seams will pucker because you will be cutting slightly off true grain, which will also mean more puckering as the garment shrinks/stretches with wear over time. If you take the garment apart and iron each piece you'll be able to see small discrepancies that made your seams more awkward.

2) It looks like you used/modified/drafted a sundress pattern. JSKs look a bit like sundresses but this is very deceptive because sundresses use a lot less fabric. Also that band of elastic at the top of the bodice is a sundress touch. Lolita dresses do often have some elastic at the top of the bodice, but when they do, there are also rows of elastic at the waist and sometimes also over the bust to pull the fabric in to fit your shape rather than letting it hang loosely around the torso like some sundresses do. Pinup dresses also have a similar top with two straps, but they're very constructed so that they cling to the body, with darts and stiff interlining and boning.

3) A lolita skirt (or the skirt part of a jsk/op) needs a LOT of fabric because it goes over a big petticoat and a pair of bloomers. The skirt is usually made from a big rectangle or pair of rectangles that when sewn together are 2.5 or even 3 times your waist size in width. Lolita skirts are usually not circle skirts (too narrow at the waist) or gored skirts, and while there are exceptions to these rules, until you're very familiar with the shape of lolita, stick to the cylinder skirt style. (The circle style is more pinup than lolita.) Your skirt should be somewhere between just above the knee to a few inches below it--on most people this is 20-24 inches (50-60 cm) long. If your waist is 28 inches, your skirt needs to be 70-84 inches at the hem. At the waist, you'll gather the skirt down to fit your waist (or if you plan to use elastic at the waist and in the top to control fullness, gather it down to 1-2 inches more than your bust since you will have to pull it down over your head. There are a lot of patterns that can be modified to make lolita dresses, but nearly all of them will make better lolita dresses if you just use the rectangle skirt--it's how 90% of Angelic Pretty jumperskirts work.

4) Lastly, the quality of your lace and trims is really important. Lace quality and lace price have little to do with each other. There are many inexpensive cluny-style laces made of thick cotton thread that look a bit like tatting or crochet that are much better for lolita than a more expensive, more delicate flat synthetic lace with little texture. (Ironically, I have often seen better lace on shirts at Wal-Mart than in department stores because Wal-Mart often uses this thick cotton lace.) The really high-end lolita dresses tend to use embroidered net laces that you'd normally find in the bridal section (but with NO SEQUINS) but for a simple day-time jumper skirt the cluny-style country lace is just fine. For similar reasons I would use grosgrain ribbon rather than satin ribbon. Unless you are using extremely high-quality and expensive materials, and have been doing lolita long enough to have a really good feel for the aesthetic, avoid anything shiny.

Sugary Daredevil

AradiaWindbourne
ThatGirlFromGalifrey
AradiaWindbourne

Okay. Having had a chance to look at the picture on a full size screen, here are my thoughts:

1) You absolutely must pre-wash, pre-shrink and iron your fabric before you cut anything out. I hate ironing, but I do iron fabric before cutting and I iron the pieces as I work (to press/finish seams and shape the garment). If you don't iron the fabric before you cut, and it isn't absolutely flat, your seams will pucker because you will be cutting slightly off true grain, which will also mean more puckering as the garment shrinks/stretches with wear over time. If you take the garment apart and iron each piece you'll be able to see small discrepancies that made your seams more awkward.

2) It looks like you used/modified/drafted a sundress pattern. JSKs look a bit like sundresses but this is very deceptive because sundresses use a lot less fabric. Also that band of elastic at the top of the bodice is a sundress touch. Lolita dresses do often have some elastic at the top of the bodice, but when they do, there are also rows of elastic at the waist and sometimes also over the bust to pull the fabric in to fit your shape rather than letting it hang loosely around the torso like some sundresses do. Pinup dresses also have a similar top with two straps, but they're very constructed so that they cling to the body, with darts and stiff interlining and boning.

3) A lolita skirt (or the skirt part of a jsk/op) needs a LOT of fabric because it goes over a big petticoat and a pair of bloomers. The skirt is usually made from a big rectangle or pair of rectangles that when sewn together are 2.5 or even 3 times your waist size in width. Lolita skirts are usually not circle skirts (too narrow at the waist) or gored skirts, and while there are exceptions to these rules, until you're very familiar with the shape of lolita, stick to the cylinder skirt style. (The circle style is more pinup than lolita.) Your skirt should be somewhere between just above the knee to a few inches below it--on most people this is 20-24 inches (50-60 cm) long. If your waist is 28 inches, your skirt needs to be 70-84 inches at the hem. At the waist, you'll gather the skirt down to fit your waist (or if you plan to use elastic at the waist and in the top to control fullness, gather it down to 1-2 inches more than your bust since you will have to pull it down over your head. There are a lot of patterns that can be modified to make lolita dresses, but nearly all of them will make better lolita dresses if you just use the rectangle skirt--it's how 90% of Angelic Pretty jumperskirts work.

4) Lastly, the quality of your lace and trims is really important. Lace quality and lace price have little to do with each other. There are many inexpensive cluny-style laces made of thick cotton thread that look a bit like tatting or crochet that are much better for lolita than a more expensive, more delicate flat synthetic lace with little texture. (Ironically, I have often seen better lace on shirts at Wal-Mart than in department stores because Wal-Mart often uses this thick cotton lace.) The really high-end lolita dresses tend to use embroidered net laces that you'd normally find in the bridal section (but with NO SEQUINS) but for a simple day-time jumper skirt the cluny-style country lace is just fine. For similar reasons I would use grosgrain ribbon rather than satin ribbon. Unless you are using extremely high-quality and expensive materials, and have been doing lolita long enough to have a really good feel for the aesthetic, avoid anything shiny.

thank you for the advice but is there any particular fabric I should be using? I thought that this was good because its a bit stiff. But learned my lesson wash and iron the fabric. Aso I live in Argentina, there are no walmarts here at least not that I know of

Doctor Pines's Queen

Thylacine Friend

14,100 Points
  • De-Extinctionist 500
  • Candy Fiend 150
  • Cool Cat 500
ThatGirlFromGalifrey
AradiaWindbourne
ThatGirlFromGalifrey
AradiaWindbourne

thank you for the advice but is there any particular fabric I should be using? I thought that this was good because its a bit stiff. But learned my lesson wash and iron the fabric. Aso I live in Argentina, there are no walmarts here at least not that I know of

I'm not recommending walmart! It's a super super cheap store and most of their items are NOT high quality. I was just pointing out that lace quality and lace price don't always coincide.

The more cotton there is in your lace, the better it will work for lolita. I think the fabric is fine, just iron it! In general any cotton fabric is fine as well. The fabric just looks stiff because it hasn't been washed and ironed.

Doctor Pines's Queen

Thylacine Friend

14,100 Points
  • De-Extinctionist 500
  • Candy Fiend 150
  • Cool Cat 500
Sew Loli at LiveJournal is also a great source of advice.

Sugary Daredevil

AradiaWindbourne
ThatGirlFromGalifrey
AradiaWindbourne
ThatGirlFromGalifrey
AradiaWindbourne

I'm not recommending walmart! It's a super super cheap store and most of their items are NOT high quality. I was just pointing out that lace quality and lace price don't always coincide.

The more cotton there is in your lace, the better it will work for lolita. I think the fabric is fine, just iron it! In general any cotton fabric is fine as well. The fabric just looks stiff because it hasn't been washed and ironed.

Oh okay thank you smile

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces