Welcome to Gaia! ::

Lonely Gaian

8,300 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Megathread 100
Idk this is just something I feel emotion_facepalm
I own some brand dresses that I really adore to death but I'm so afraid of wearing them. emotion_0A0
Just because I'm so afraid of spilling or making them dirty and they're so pretty. emotion_kirakira
I wanna roll & run around in lolita in the sun and eat without worrying over the clothes but that's ofc a bad idea. lol
I own offbrand dresses aswell.. but in overall lolita dresses.. emotion_yatta
How clumsy are you? How often do you actually roll around? If your life style is not really geared towards lolita too much then it is a sign tthat you shoudlnt wear it too much because it will clash, but if it is just normal worry then that is normal. Do look into how easily they are to be cleaned. Some things I literally can throw into the wash with no problem, others you have to like not have it be touched by water ever. The level varies. Offbrand is also a way to deal with it when you think you are going to be out and about more, because they tend to be more hardy and if you ruin a bodyline dress that is less horrible than something from AP.

Kawaii Bunny

I'm also afraid of wearing brand, I have one brand dress, but I barely wear it because I'm so worried that I'm going to spill things on it. Also because I have to use the bus a lot, and I don't live in the nicest area so the buses aren't particularly clean. Not being easily washed is partly why I haven't bought any more brand since the first dress.

One day I'll buy myself some more brand, but for now I'll just stick with clothes that can go in the washing machine.
You don't need to worry about it that much, unless you're really prone to accidents. I'd be more careful with maybe prints and lighter fabrics, but brand isn't made from delicate flowers woven by fairies or anything. My closet's almost all brand, and I wear it almost everyday. If you know you'll be doing an activity that might get you dirty, just wear something offbrand or a colour that isn't likely to show dirt. And then wash it, of course.

Summery Girl

I own one ~*burando*~ dress and I agree with you. I'm very nervous and aware of, well, whenever my dress touches anything! (It doesn't help that its trim is velvet either, I'm worried it will wear off!)

But I've gotten used to - god FORBID! - sitting on my furniture with it. I mean, what's the point of having a dress if you're scared to wear it? Wearing it outside is a challenge I'll tackle another day, for a meetup maybe.

Kliapatra's Partner In Crime

Beloved Bunny

16,075 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Supreme Supporter 500
  • Cat Fancier 100
It took me a while to be comfortable with it...but I be careful when I wear it. I choose cheaper dresses if I'm going somewhere I know is dirty, though.

Some of my friends bring wipes or stain removers or something just in case they spill food.

Kawaii Girl

I've been wearing brand casually for years and I've never had an item destroyed. Just be careful and you probably won't have an incident!
〜蛇麗〜
This thought has gone through my head as well. Honestly, as long as I'm not doing something innately messy (going to drawing/painting class or something of the sort), I'm not too worried about it.
〜蛇麗〜

Lonely Leaf

I almost never manage to leave the house in Lolita for two reasons:
1. I'm not cute enough to be a Lolita
2. WHAT IF I RUIN MY BRAND
the only thing i am afraid of is when i wear white. in those circumstances, i don't often wear white if i eat. I wear lolita on a daily basis now, so if i really am afraid, i wear an apron, or if i have house chores inside or outside that may be messy, i wear black. i do own a lot of prints, but i save my all black, washable items for the dirty work. otherwise if its just hanging out with the friends or shopping or staying home to watch tv, it dosen't matter much. obviously though, if you go out to eat, place your napkin in your lap and take the usual necicarry precautions.

Unbeatable Fatcat

In the end, for me it's clothing, and if I put this-and-that much money on pretty clothes, I'm not letting them rot away in the closet. Food? Napkin in lap, and if I'm out eating, potential messiness will likely affect my choice of dish.
Secondhand brand pieces already showing a bit of wear and tear I'm much more careless about, they're somehow easier to put on and frolic in. I've also read up on tutorials of proper garment care, how to get stains out and the importance of color absorbers.

I'm now more afraid of knocking things over and sweeping tables and shelves with my skirts. Spilled a coworker's coffee onto her phone once, yikes.

Fluffy Bunny

10,700 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Friendly 100
Always Be True To Yourself

heart I understand the worry, my wardrobe consists of all brand dresses, mostly white or pastel colours from AP and BTSSB. However, as pointed out they are made to be worn and they can be cleaned appropriately. As with any expensive clothing, sometimes it's better to just take precautions and be logical. If the dress you're wearing makes it a tad difficult to move around in, then when it comes to drinking- use straws. Stay away from cups, cartons, flimsy packaging and loose-fitted lids. With foods try to eat non-messy dishes and use napkins.

I did modelling for DollDelight and for other Lolita Fashions, sometimes the places you go for photo shoots and practice runs are not the cleanest, its best to plan ahead and keep napkins or baby wipes with you. I find that when getting in and out of cars, making sure to wipe my shoes off makes it less likely for any dirt or mud to catch the underskirt or trimming of my dress.

In all other respects it's about being practical. If you're going out for the day somewhere energetic then wear something non-brand and easy. If you're going out for a bite to eat wear something that's not gonna give you a heart attack if it gets stained. Other than that it's really only weather conditions you'll have to worry about. Longer dresses I wouldn't recommend in wet weather and off-brand would be probably more efficient.

Also if you are strict full time Lolita, it' good to keep in mind that it's not just dresses that are available in this fashion. I wear Lolita Romper/Jumpsuits with stockings, boots and a Lolita Shirt underneath. Still frilly, cute and dolly. Sometimes wearing the generic dress isn't at all practical for places like parks and long car rides.

Hope that helps.
heart

No Matter Who You Are
I'm horribly accident prone and haven't managed to ruin anything yet. I've even eaten fairly sloppy food (BBQ) in lolita. I just hover over the plate and stuff napkins down my JSK and on my lap. I'm also super-careful with pens. I also try to stick to brands that are washable, so if I need to give them an oxyclean soak to take out a stain, I can without worrying about prints running.
I wear my lolita at anime conventions.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces