3,300 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Bunny Spotter 50
all my red clothes got taken away
o -o

hows it gonna help anyways
like I just dont get what its for

theres a guy livin 3 doors away from me who I think has heart disease or some such heart problem
does he get a different day

Im jus confused man
this s**t don add up
I actually didnt know that. Thank you so much for posting this. Im deff. wearing red today. My grandmother died of heart disease. Alot of woman in my family have had that and im pretty sure im ganna get it to when im old

Shameless Nerd

16,100 Points
  • Streaker 200
  • Marathon 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
Bubble Shark
Ravyn457
Red is for AIDS, get your own color scream

jk I really don't care one way or the other...I don't think ribbons or colors make a damn bit of good.

The colors and whatever, no, except maybe to raise awareness. But the selling of ribbons, and the colored goods does a lot, actually, because generally the proceeds go to the research for whatever they're raising awareness of. Especially the pink for breast cancer. SO MANY THINGS.

A lot of the pink s**t for breast cancer goes to Susan G. Komen. And all that money goes to their CEO, not research. They don't want to find a cure for breast cancer, because if they did then they won't make money off it anymore. People are already "aware" of these diseases, so buying pink ribbons doesn't do anything.

Fashionable Shopper

Burning Bonus
o -o

theres a guy livin 3 doors away from me who I think has heart disease or some such heart problem

Im jus confused man
this s**t don add up

Oh, oh, how can you be good enough?
User Image

It is to raise awareness for heart disease in women.

User Image
How can you measure up?

Questionable Prophet

11,950 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Invisibility 100
Ravyn457
Bubble Shark
Ravyn457

jk I really don't care one way or the other...I don't think ribbons or colors make a damn bit of good.

The colors and whatever, no, except maybe to raise awareness. But the selling of ribbons, and the colored goods does a lot, actually, because generally the proceeds go to the research for whatever they're raising awareness of. Especially the pink for breast cancer. SO MANY THINGS.

A lot of the pink s**t for breast cancer goes to Susan G. Komen. And all that money goes to their CEO, not research. They don't want to find a cure for breast cancer, because if they did then they won't make money off it anymore. People are already "aware" of these diseases, so buying pink ribbons doesn't do anything.

Well, the "Breast Center" in the hospital I work at has a little store, and everything's pink, and all the proceeds go to helping patients cover the cost of their expensive treatments.

I'm just saying, these things aren't totally useless. Maybe Komen is shitty, but there are a lot that aren't.

Fashionable Shopper

Bubble Shark
Ravyn457
Bubble Shark
Ravyn457

Well, the "Breast Center" in the hospital I work at has a little store, and everything's pink, and all the proceeds go to helping patients cover the cost of their expensive treatments.

I'm just saying, these things aren't totally useless. Maybe Komen is shitty, but there are a lot that aren't.

User Image

I buy little things here and there for breast cancer awareness like socks, a shirt, and I used to have a pen. I really only found one Go Red thing and that was a laptop mouse but it broke like after 3 years.

User Image
How can you measure up?

Shameless Nerd

16,100 Points
  • Streaker 200
  • Marathon 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
Bubble Shark

That's all well and good, but if I really wanted to help find a cure, I'd take the $20 that it would cost for a pink shirt and send it to a research facility or something. I just hate the "pink" culture that slaps a pink ribbon on everything just to make money.

Clean Gekko

3,300 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Bunny Spotter 50
LilPinkCandy
Burning Bonus
o -o

Im jus confused man
this s**t don add up

User Image

User Image
How can you measure up?

kay
why do women get special attention in that area
o -o

does it not kill guys or somethin

Fashionable Shopper

Burning Bonus
LilPinkCandy
Burning Bonus
o -o

Im jus confused man
this s**t don add up

User Image

User Image
How can you measure up?

kay
o -o

User Image

Most of the research in heart disease is directed at men because it is seen as an old man's disease. But this is not the case so it is nice for the American Heart Association to have created an awareness day for it. Since the first awareness day the number of women with heart disease has dropped.

User Image
How can you measure up?

Enduring Phantom

I was not aware until I saw this thread, but I'll definitely wear red. 4laugh

Fashionable Shopper

ragnaroknroll
I was not aware until I saw this thread, but I'll definitely wear red. 4laugh

User Image

Awareness day is over but you can still wear red! biggrin

User Image
How can you measure up?

Lavish Dark Elf

8,900 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Mark Twain 100
What day and color is men's heart disease, or do only women matter (as per usual)?

Clean Gekko

3,300 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Bunny Spotter 50
LilPinkCandy
Burning Bonus
LilPinkCandy
Burning Bonus
o -o

Im jus confused man
this s**t don add up

User Image

User Image
How can you measure up?

kay
o -o

User Image

Most of the research in heart disease is directed at men because it is seen as an old man's disease. But this is not the case so it is nice for the American Heart Association to have created an awareness day for it. Since the first awareness day the number of women with heart disease has dropped.

User Image
How can you measure up?

so what about mens heart disease
like do they deserve to die more cause the thing was directed at the in the first place
is it like 1 in 1 out sorta thing

15,550 Points
  • Streaker 200
  • Marathon 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
Viceroy Adrian
What day and color is men's heart disease, or do only women matter (as per usual)?
Stop being such a butthurt little baby all the damn time.

The awareness campaign was originally created because all medical research about heart disease and heart conditions had been done on men. It was thought that women had heart attacks and got heart disease at very, very low rates. In the '80s they realized that women just manifest the condition a little bit differently, and if they had thought to research the disease in women fifty years ago when they did the bulk of the research, they would have realized that.

Anyway, part of the awareness campaign is to make the public aware of how heart disease/attacks manifest in most women. You know the image we have of heart attacks, clutching your chest, the left arm hurts, blah blah blah? Well, that's how men have heart attacks. That's not how women have heart attacks.

Ironically, these awareness campaigns aren't as helpful as they thought they would be. Being aware that women get heart disease (yeah, no s**t) isn't that helpful. Being aware that it looks different than most of the cultural ideas we have about heart disease is very important, but that message gets lost when you're busy picking out a red article of clothing.

Girl-Crazy Ladykiller

No I won't be wearing red. I think wearing a specific color is just as pointless as posting where you left your purse on facebook as awareness. The only person that will know is you. I prefer to educate than to do something that won't help just so I get the warm and fuzzies that no one else will understand.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff