Welcome to Gaia! ::

Questionable Conversationalist

I wanted to start with community college for my first two years but I got early admission into my top choice school which honestly is not all that expensive compared to other surrounding schools and I was scouted for a special business program for freshman and sophomore years and my first year of college was doing pre-req classes for more business classes so it wasn't entirely an issue. Thanks to grants and other things I've earned I've also had at least one and a half semesters completely paid for.

If I could go back I'd probably have considered going to community first more seriously, if just to help my parents financially, but I guess my grades so far and networking with professors I was able to have a slightly more intimate relationship with have made it a bit more worth it. I definitely want to get a job soon as I'm stable enough to handle it to help my parents further in paying my bills, though.

College and textbooks are too ******** expensive no matter when or how you go, though.

Snow Chil

22,350 Points
  • Daring Investigator 50
  • WilyTrickster 50
  • Distrustul Officer 50
xAliceJae
Bilabial Click
My first semester, I went to community college thinking I could save money. I did save money. But I couldn't stand it there. All of the students were apathetic or stupid or both.

I mean how do you get low grades when the teacher has a review session, gives everyone a test handout that contains all the possible questions on the test - and you take that home and solve it - and even bring it in and discuss any questions you couldn't answer - right before the test?!?!?!
emotion_facepalm HOW.do.you.fail.that??!?! And yet these students apparently did.

I couldn't stay there. No challenge.

So I transferred to an actual 4 year college. 2nd semester was much more challenging and I was also put in this lovely, challenging British literature class. heart

I got the highest score in my intro to business course and all I ******** did was sit in the back of the room, watching anime or doctor who on my laptop. I don't even.
My teacher posted an official grade sheet and half my class failed. What the ********? emotion_facepalm

@OP: It depends on your college. My community college feels a bit like high school still, but I'm taking courses that'll transfer to the uni I intend on going to.
but I'm with them; there's not that much of a challenge in CC for me. I'm getting straight A's and I'm barely even trying. I never got straight A's before. o___O;

I do think it's ******** idiotic to go straight to a 4 year university if you're not sure you can even finish whatever you're going into, or you don't have a better idea in mind of what you want to be.
friend of a friend is in that issue now. -____-;; He doesn't have his family backing him and it's not like he went to a lower-end/cheaper university.

Damn. emotion_facepalm Paying to watch anime and doctor who. emotion_brofist lol But congrats on being the head of the class. 3nodding

My CC was like high school too. Wasn't going to pay to sit in that. Though.. the best part was how the bookstore gave you back 50% of the book's price. My uni's bookstore is evil. You're lucky to get 10-15% back on a book. emo

If you don't know what you want to do, or you have to pay for it yourself, it's better to go the cheaper route.

I had ambition, good grades, a scholarship and a grant or two, along with my parents' backing. So it was doable. But now I have to work hard to pay back the rest of the debt. ._.' In this sucky economy. So...... Maybe just stick with CC for 4 semesters...

Angelic Husband

11,300 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Popular Thread 100
I get what you're saying. I started to go tyo a 2-year college in my hometown, which with my HOPE scholarship and living at home would have been remarkably cheap, but....I wanted to be independent, so I left

Unforgiving Warlord

13,400 Points
  • Senpai's Notice 100
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Love Machine 150
Maybe the want to go for 6 years? and the parents are fine with paying for the first year?

I don't know.
Arcobelano
Robot Giny
Arcobelano
Robot Giny
Arcobelano
Robot Giny
But like high school, the social aspect is there whether you like it or not. You have to have the skills equipped to deal with it so you don't get overwhelmed.

Honestly, people are making education and learning so much harder than it needs to be. Right now, im betting there's some homeless dude who's an ex-computer science major who could teach me more in less time. But whatever, im just speaking nothings at this point.
Um...okay? Look, it all depends how you go about it. Like with me, my school is in an urban environment, and I don't live on campus. There's no Greek presence, and the sports teams are trying, they really are, but no one really cares. This makes the social dynamic at my school a lot different than someone who live son campus and goes to a state college that has a huge Greek presence and a massive sports culture.

Whether you're in college or out in the real world, you'll have to know how to navigate social situations if you want to succeed.

Yes, i know but just knowing how to navigate social situations doesn't interest me in the slightest, i've forged a personality thats fairly adaptable if need be and fits in with the societal norms of today, but to be honest, i'd rather trade the majority of my social skills for skills more practical and worth while.
Social skills are going to help you get jobs, get along with your coworkers, find a girlfriend or a boyfriend, and maintain a nice circle of friends. Social skills are not any less practical and worth while then knowing how to code in C++.

Funny, you bring up programming as an example, im actually working on a program in java on another tab, but i see what you mean to an extent, you obviously cant rely just on one skill. For jobs i'd rather get those through pure skill, if i was interested in getting a girlfriend i would of gotten one, and a circle of friends just seems uninteresting if this world doesn't offer nearly half the things i'd want to do with another group of people.

I thought the same thing as you when I first entered college. I'm naturally introverted and don't really enjoy being in the company of others but you begin to realize how important networking and connections are to succeed in life. You don't have to be best friends with everyone you meet but a few cordial conversations go a long way.

All the jobs (excluding internships) that I've ever gotten were from social connections; business or personal.

Invisible Seeker

8,400 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Arcobelano
Tiggette
Arcobelano
Robot Giny
Arcobelano
Robot Giny
But like high school, the social aspect is there whether you like it or not. You have to have the skills equipped to deal with it so you don't get overwhelmed.

Honestly, people are making education and learning so much harder than it needs to be. Right now, im betting there's some homeless dude who's an ex-computer science major who could teach me more in less time. But whatever, im just speaking nothings at this point.
Um...okay? Look, it all depends how you go about it. Like with me, my school is in an urban environment, and I don't live on campus. There's no Greek presence, and the sports teams are trying, they really are, but no one really cares. This makes the social dynamic at my school a lot different than someone who live son campus and goes to a state college that has a huge Greek presence and a massive sports culture.

Whether you're in college or out in the real world, you'll have to know how to navigate social situations if you want to succeed.

Yes, i know but just knowing how to navigate social situations doesn't interest me in the slightest, i've forged a personality thats fairly adaptable if need be and fits in with the societal norms of today, but to be honest, i'd rather trade the majority of my social skills for skills more practical and worth while.

You don't think social skills are worthwhile? What the ******** dude, human interaction is part of the beauty of life. Forming bonds and experiencing emotion connected to it. It's the only thing keeping us from being computers.

But in the end what use are your emotions? I cant eat my emotions or drink them, they seem like so much more of a weakness in the long run, only an inhibitor to keep us from thinking rationally at most times. Life isn't beautiful or ugly, its just one of the many factor's that compose this universe, its up to the individual to decide for himself whether he wants to fool himself into believing otherwise.

Inhibits us from what? Being computers? That's such a limited train of thought. Life is life, it is beautiful and ugly, and it is a process we are living that just so happens to be composed of emotions and thought. If every decision were based in logic, this world would be so much less exciting. There would be no risks, no art, no momentary euphoria.

That's not a world I want to live in; and I'm surprised anyone would see that as ideal.
Tiggette
Arcobelano
Tiggette
Arcobelano
Robot Giny

You don't think social skills are worthwhile? What the ******** dude, human interaction is part of the beauty of life. Forming bonds and experiencing emotion connected to it. It's the only thing keeping us from being computers.

But in the end what use are your emotions? I cant eat my emotions or drink them, they seem like so much more of a weakness in the long run, only an inhibitor to keep us from thinking rationally at most times. Life isn't beautiful or ugly, its just one of the many factor's that compose this universe, its up to the individual to decide for himself whether he wants to fool himself into believing otherwise.

Inhibits us from what? Being computers? That's such a limited train of thought. Life is life, it is beautiful and ugly, and it is a process we are living that just so happens to be composed of emotions and thought. If every decision were based in logic, this world would be so much less exciting. There would be no risks, no art, no momentary euphoria.

That's not a world I want to live in; and I'm surprised anyone would see that as ideal.

Well considering that most of life is more or less doing things that you'd pretty much rather not do...it doesnt really seem to be a fair trade off for a moment of euphoria.
Lubovnik
Arcobelano
Robot Giny
Arcobelano
Robot Giny

Social skills are going to help you get jobs, get along with your coworkers, find a girlfriend or a boyfriend, and maintain a nice circle of friends. Social skills are not any less practical and worth while then knowing how to code in C++.

Funny, you bring up programming as an example, im actually working on a program in java on another tab, but i see what you mean to an extent, you obviously cant rely just on one skill. For jobs i'd rather get those through pure skill, if i was interested in getting a girlfriend i would of gotten one, and a circle of friends just seems uninteresting if this world doesn't offer nearly half the things i'd want to do with another group of people.

I thought the same thing as you when I first entered college. I'm naturally introverted and don't really enjoy being in the company of others but you begin to realize how important networking and connections are to succeed in life. You don't have to be best friends with everyone you meet but a few cordial conversations go a long way.

All the jobs (excluding internships) that I've ever gotten were from social connections; business or personal.

But thats so stupid! I dont want a job just because i happened to know a specific person in school.
Bilabial Click
xAliceJae
Bilabial Click
My first semester, I went to community college thinking I could save money. I did save money. But I couldn't stand it there. All of the students were apathetic or stupid or both.

I mean how do you get low grades when the teacher has a review session, gives everyone a test handout that contains all the possible questions on the test - and you take that home and solve it - and even bring it in and discuss any questions you couldn't answer - right before the test?!?!?!
emotion_facepalm HOW.do.you.fail.that??!?! And yet these students apparently did.

I couldn't stay there. No challenge.

So I transferred to an actual 4 year college. 2nd semester was much more challenging and I was also put in this lovely, challenging British literature class. heart

I got the highest score in my intro to business course and all I ******** did was sit in the back of the room, watching anime or doctor who on my laptop. I don't even.
My teacher posted an official grade sheet and half my class failed. What the ********? emotion_facepalm

@OP: It depends on your college. My community college feels a bit like high school still, but I'm taking courses that'll transfer to the uni I intend on going to.
but I'm with them; there's not that much of a challenge in CC for me. I'm getting straight A's and I'm barely even trying. I never got straight A's before. o___O;

I do think it's ******** idiotic to go straight to a 4 year university if you're not sure you can even finish whatever you're going into, or you don't have a better idea in mind of what you want to be.
friend of a friend is in that issue now. -____-;; He doesn't have his family backing him and it's not like he went to a lower-end/cheaper university.

Damn. emotion_facepalm Paying to watch anime and doctor who. emotion_brofist lol But congrats on being the head of the class. 3nodding

My CC was like high school too. Wasn't going to pay to sit in that. Though.. the best part was how the bookstore gave you back 50% of the book's price. My uni's bookstore is evil. You're lucky to get 10-15% back on a book. emo

If you don't know what you want to do, or you have to pay for it yourself, it's better to go the cheaper route.

I had ambition, good grades, a scholarship and a grant or two, along with my parents' backing. So it was doable. But now I have to work hard to pay back the rest of the debt. ._.' In this sucky economy. So...... Maybe just stick with CC for 4 semesters...

Yeah, im pretty much thinking financially for right now, i mean my parents didn't even try to save up anything for college. My high school GPA wasn't much either, i can go to community college practically for free for the first year, but i definitly need to get my priorities straightened, i need to acquire reliable transportation first.

Snow Chil

22,350 Points
  • Daring Investigator 50
  • WilyTrickster 50
  • Distrustul Officer 50
Arcobelano

Yeah, im pretty much thinking financially for right now, i mean my parents didn't even try to save up anything for college. My high school GPA wasn't much either, i can go to community college practically for free for the first year, but i definitly need to get my priorities straightened, i need to acquire reliable transportation first.

Sounds like a good plan. Reliable transportation is necessary for good grades. If you get good grades from CC, you can use that to try for scholarships to a college/uni where you finish your degree. ^^;'

Best of luck to you! 4laugh

Invisible Seeker

8,400 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Arcobelano
Tiggette
Arcobelano
Tiggette
Arcobelano
Robot Giny

Well considering that most of life is more or less doing things that you'd pretty much rather not do...it doesnt really seem to be a fair trade off for a moment of euphoria.

Then why have you bothered to keep living?

Invisible Seeker

8,400 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Arcobelano
Lubovnik
Arcobelano
Robot Giny
Arcobelano
Robot Giny

But thats so stupid! I dont want a job just because i happened to know a specific person in school.

This comment is actually so naive, it's funny.

Half your business life is going to require making connections. It's called networking, and it gets you out of sticky situations. Want a job somewhere, but are competing with someone of equal or superior qualifications with you? If you know someone in the system who can put in a good word for you, you've just one uped your competition. That competition, who may have been more skilled than you, just got screwed because you knew how to play the game. It's part of surviving in this society, we don't live in an age where the strongest hunts the biggest game. It's the person who is able to use all aspects of the system to their advantage.
Tiggette
Arcobelano
Tiggette
Arcobelano
Tiggette

Then why have you bothered to keep living?

For that miniscule and almost nonexistent chance that i might be able to break this ridiculous and mundane cycle.
Tiggette
Arcobelano
Lubovnik
Arcobelano
Robot Giny

This comment is actually so naive, it's funny.

Half your business life is going to require making connections. It's called networking, and it gets you out of sticky situations. Want a job somewhere, but are competing with someone of equal or superior qualifications with you? If you know someone in the system who can put in a good word for you, you've just one uped your competition. That competition, who may have been more skilled than you, just got screwed because you knew how to play the game. It's part of surviving in this society, we don't live in an age where the strongest hunts the biggest game. It's the person who is able to use all aspects of the system to their advantage.

That's a system i cant say i have too much interest in being a part of, why the hell would you hire someone just because you know them over someone who's more qualified and more skilled? It just seems like your sabotaging your business.

Dapper Gawker

If I knew community college was gonna be free (like it was for my brother), I probably would have done that. I'm having no problems paying off my loans, though. I guess I'd only be $3,000 away from paying it off if I did go. eh.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff