Welcome to Gaia! ::

7,250 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Member 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
I have to pay, due to that I'm an international student.....from Canada...going to America...for Mortuary Science
Community college is way cheaper than a 4 year university but, if you don't qualify for FAFSA it can be expensive. Just for class at my junior college is $140. Imagine if you had four classes plus books, school supplies, and all the other junk that comes along with school.

I have financial aid. heart

Romantic Phantom

I couldn't agree more, some people are just foolish for not going. As for me, i'm not paying for any of my higher education, cause I figured out how to use the system so I don't have to.
YueWist
I couldn't agree more, some people are just foolish for not going. As for me, i'm not paying for any of my higher education, cause I figured out how to use the system so I don't have to.

and how have you figured how to do that?

Romantic Phantom

Arcobelano
YueWist

FAFSA > then cost of school = paid for going to school.

Loiterer

WHlTE TlGER 2
Prestige?
College experience?
They are the same people that think avoiding credit cards saves them money?
As a person who believes avoiding credit cards saves them money, please elaborate.

I've never felt so curious and potentially stupid.
YueWist
Arcobelano
YueWist

oh...i kinda meant a legit way. I've already applied for fafsa mentioned something about me only getting 5k, which would cover community college for the first two years, but screws me still if i wanted to transfer to a university.
Bornes
WHlTE TlGER 2
Prestige?
College experience?
As a person who believes avoiding credit cards saves them money, please elaborate.

If you spend $50 in cash or charge $50 your net worth is still going down by $50.

Besides the benefits of having good credit, normally there are advantages to using credit cards. You can get special discounts and other rewards. If anything, you're loosing money by avoiding credit cards.
Arcobelano
YueWist
Arcobelano
YueWist

oh...i kinda meant a legit way. I've already applied for fafsa mentioned something about me only getting 5k, which would cover community college for the first two years, but screws me still if i wanted to transfer to a university.

If you fill out a FAFSA then you can apply for scholarships. Get you community college covered with the FAFSA get A's, get in your schools honor society, collect scholarship money for university.

Loiterer

WHlTE TlGER 2
Bornes
WHlTE TlGER 2
Prestige?
College experience?

If you spend $50 in cash or charge $50 your net worth is still going down by $50.

Besides the benefits of having good credit, normally there are advantages to using credit cards. You can get special discounts and other rewards. If anything, you're loosing money by avoiding credit cards.
User ImageAh, okay, no new information then.

I feel like not having credit cards is a great way to prevent myself from spending too much to try and reap the damn rewards.
I consider it a good form of self-restraint.

I tend to buy more when I think I'm getting a discount/sale/etc. I don't save money if I'm buying more than I would otherwise.
My freshman year of college probably 2/3 of my classes were things I had not known.

I took 1-2 major specific courses each quarter (however, these were mostly intro classes)
I took chem 101 - 103 along with the chem labs. A good amount I already had known from high school chemistry, but we did go far deeper and I'd say 2/5 to 1/2 of the material was new.
I took calc 1-3 which was 90% new to me. Since in high school I had only taken up to pre-calc.
I took English 101 and 102. I already knew how to write different types of papers and a 10 page research paper so this was whatever. It did help me a tiny bit.
Physics 201 and 202. I had learned 201 in my ap physics class in high school. The second one - E&M I had not learned at all.

So I would say way more than half of the material I learned my freshman year of college was new to me. I also partied twice a week EVERY week and made a lot of memories and friends. On top of that, I joined a lot of student groups and being really involved on campus made me feel a great sense of community and helped me meet really awesome people. And I got a student leadership award and was recognized by the president of the University (a university of 25k+ undergrads)
Bornes
WHlTE TlGER 2
Bornes
WHlTE TlGER 2
Prestige?
College experience?

User ImageAh, okay, no new information then.

I feel like not having credit cards is a great way to prevent myself from spending too much to try and reap the damn rewards.
I consider it a good form of self-restraint.

I tend to buy more when I think I'm getting a discount/sale/etc. I don't save money if I'm buying more than I would otherwise.

Just got to stay on top of your finances.
LOL don't spend more trying to get more rewards, that's loosing money. Just let them occur.
Wouldn't it be better to develop the self restraint to not spend more than you should and get the benefits of credit cards?

I only use credit cards and pay all my bills online. I log into my bank account everyday and pay store credit cards off as soon as I put money on them.

Loiterer

WHlTE TlGER 2

Just got to stay on top of your finances.
LOL don't spend more trying to get more rewards, that's loosing money. Just let them occur.
Wouldn't it be better to develop the self restraint to not spend more than you should and get the benefits of credit cards?
No, because I already have debit cards that I run as credit. If I get an actual, legit credit card, I'll use it to buy everything. Then I'd have an extra bill to keep track of and I don't like that. D;
Quote:

I only use credit cards and pay all my bills online. I log into my bank account everyday and pay store credit cards off as soon as I put money on them.
I do all that as well, but with debit cards that are run as credit cards.

I'm thinking I should really get an airline points/miles card, but I keep not doing it because I reeeeeally don't want that extra bill.
Because it's necessary in order to get a degree.

Or to review. Such as a math class. Often times if they go right into the class that's next they will be unprepared. Happened to me.

Wheezing Fatcat

5,250 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Brick Breaker 50
You do it because you want the experience and the end result of a diploma/degree

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff