Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hey everyone!

Another semester is winding down! I hope your exams are going well!

I had one awful prof this semester who honestly just didn't seem to care about us or his job at all and it got me wondering about the kind of profs and teachers you guys have had.

Discuss!
- A super awesome prof you had
- A terrible prof you had
- If you haven't been to post-sec, then a great or awful teacher you've had!
- What made them awesome/terrible?
- How did their attitude influence your grade?
- If you were a teacher, would you be firm? Lenient? Friendly? Professional?

Girl

I haven't had a professor I'd count as terrible yet. But I didn't like the way my American History professor taught and I hated the way he graded tests. Our tests were open note so we would know what questions we got right. We basically had to write short essays for each question he gave us. We could still write really descriptive answers that were technically correct but he would count most of it wrong because it wasn't written in a way he liked. His writing was illegible so we'd have to ask what he specifically wrote every time.

A super awesome prof you had
My Spanish professor. I loved my Spanish class this semester. It wasn't a big class so it was more interactive which I prefer than just listening to a teacher lecture for the whole time.

- If you haven't been to post-sec, then a great or awful teacher you've had!
Last year, my brother had to take an economics class (I think that's what it was) and the teacher literally didn't teach. She would just give everyone worksheets to do and make them look up the answers themselves. Some high school teachers don' give a s**t.

I GOT A C IN THAT CLASS.

Lenient. People have lives outside of class too. If someone let's me know that they can't finish a project or whatever by the due date/the due date doesn't agree with them, they can have a few days extra.
best teacher was a maths teacher back in second year. He was cool, we would play countdown at the end of the lesson. Everyone was super sad when he was leaving.

Worst was some French muffburger who thought she was too good to be teaching at the school. Always going on about the private schools she used to teach at and was generally a pompous t**t through and through.

Invisible Streaker

8,200 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Cash Grabber 500
  • Timid 100
Definitely my Atomic Molecular Theory Professor. He was hot and his voice was like butter ^•^.

Angelic Husband

11,300 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Popular Thread 100
I don;t have a favorite. My least favorite is probably my French professor from this past semester. Hated his tests, hating the way he taught, hated the homework he gave us. Everyone always talked about how much they didn't like the way he ran his class.

Bloodsucker

All my teachers this semester were wonderful.

* My accounting teacher. She thoroughly explained everything in detail, gave us extra points for little things to help assist our grades, gave detailed explanation about our homework and how to do it, and had a nice pace.

Algebra. Always late, just did homework, let us out late even though we had other classes to attend and this isn't grade school where you can hold us until the bell rung.

I made A's in both of their classes... so. Their attitude didn't effect me. I feel in college your attitude towards the subject is more important than the teachers. You only see them maybe 2 or 3 times a week, so really it's on you to study.

Shirtless Detective

7,850 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Generous 100
  • Friendly 100
This woman that taught both our basic Computers & a business application class (can't exactly remember what class it was. Something along those lines.) She listened to our concerns and actually took the time to help us, because the one business class was EXTREMELY difficult for all of us. She always went over our homework and helped us understand what we didn't get right. She was wonderful.

My accounting teacher. I can't STAND him. I have ADHD and I have a hard time focusing... it seems like he would sit there and talk about his life story instead of actually teaching accounting. I just couldn't get the material. He was too hard to approach and would rather chat with the students instead of teach.
The way my classes work, we have a "Take home final" that we do, then turn it in online. Even though another teacher allowed me to leave early for theater practice, he wouldn't let me go, even though our final was take home! It was production week and it was mandatory to be there! I was so fed up with him, that was the straw that broke the camel's back. I left anyway and I never went back. I'm finishing my degree online now.

- What made them awesome/terrible?

^
I'm not against chit-chatting every now and again, but when a teacher completely disregards the material, it messes me up. I failed Accounting over it. My first F...

I would be Friendly, professional and lenient.
the best teacher I ever had was a science teacher in elementary school. he gave students nicknames and would make tons of jokes. he had this test where he kept telling us "read the questions before you answer them!" turns out one of the questions was "only fill out questions 2, 4, and 7" or something like that. so anyone who didn't read the questions first answered all the questions and the people who did read the questions only answered the few we were supposed to. only a couple of people read the questions first lol

the worst teacher is one I have right now. he took a class that should be amazing and made it REALLY FREAKING hard. he has all these weird rules about words to avoid in essays (including "is" or any variations of "is" even though the readings we did in the class all had the word "is" in them!" ). I barely passed my essay. if I fail my exam it'll be the first course I've ever failed sad

I think the teacher's attitude effects things because if a teacher makes a course fun and interesting then the students will care more and do better. if a teacher is needlessly strict the course just becomes a source of stress

Questionable Prophet

11,950 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Invisibility 100
My best professor was probably my nursing instructor. She was awesome. Thorough. Also, at the end of the year, there were only ten of us, and she went to the bar with us and taught me how to shoot tequila.

The worst? My statistics professor. He was not a teacher. It was frustrating for me to pay someone to teach me, and have him tell me to read the book and figure it out. And statistics never really clicked for me. He sat at his desk with headphones on and watched YouTube. That's all. We showed up for class, he gave us the assignment to do, and we tried to work through it together as a class, while our shitbag teacher watched YouTube. I got a C.
Best professor was my business law professor. He understood very well that the course was meant to be a quick, introductory course to business law for all business students, so he saw no point in making it overly difficult. He used examples that were relevant and also showed how effed up law can be and the intricacies of it. I'm not saying I liked it because it was easy (It only was because I actually attended class.) but he made it extremely interesting and he was funny too. :O
I feel so bad for him since my college keeps making class sizes bigger though. neutral He went from 40 max students per class to teaching them in the large lecture halls with like 80 to 100 students.

Worst teacher is still my ******** social science teacher. Racist 80 year old man. We spent 20-30 minutes each class on calling attendance. We spent 3 weeks on the format of a paper because he couldn't just show us a physical example of it, or follow typical paper guidelines. With said paper, it was irrelevant to the course because we just needed some form of group work. I had to write a paper on the Matrix without talking about the Matrix. Still pretty sure it sounds like I was on drugs or something.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff