Welcome to Gaia! ::

8,575 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Contributor 150
  • Peoplewatcher 100
As much as they can annoy, I try to keep in mind that they're just doing their job.
However, my politeness does go out the window if they keep trying to push their sales on me after I tell them I'm not interested.
I take it easy on the telemarketers. I just politely tell them to take me off their list and be done with it. If they refuse, I hang up. I used to do that kind of work, and I assure you, they don't want to talk to you really anymore than you want to talk to them.

Sparkly Nerd

28,925 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Brandisher 100
thewaitingtree
I once hung up on one, and she called back in tears... Ugh.

Once my dad got one that said the call could be recorded on that end for quality control/assurance.. so my dad just repeated the line back to the guy and it totally wigged him out.

The vampires (aka red cross) call my mom still even though she's told them she can't donate anymore. She has a chronic illness and at one time was on a medication that destroys your immune system. They still called her. >,<

Telecharities are the worst.

Oh, also the navy/military... ugh. Those calls are annoying. I answered the call on my college dorm room phone (thought maybe the RA was calling or something, nah, it was uncle sam). The guy wanted to talk to my roommate, I said she was out. He then tried his pitch on me, so I told him my legitimate reasons I could never be in any branch of the service (asthma, allergies and bad joints. i'd die in basic!). He said he'd take note and not call me, as my name was on the list. Guess who called the next day for me? Uh-huh. I told him the same thing, and was less kind about it this time. (i mean, how stupid is that? he could have marked me off the day before. but he lied.)
I've told Red Cross multiple times not to call me, and that I would come in when I felt healthy enough to donate.
Honestly RC doesn't give two shits about what you want them to do if you have a desirable blood type (See O+, O-, or O). I've had friends with AB- tell them not to call them before and they never called again. But since I'm O-neg they call at least once a week despite being told to put me onto their DNC list multiple times.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to donate blood frequently. BUT literally every time that I donate I end up getting sick.

Lavish Loiterer

Ugh...you have no idea how many times I've been called on my cell phone about that s**t. I've registered both my cell and home phone on the Do Not Call Registry. They suck epic balls at preventing anything.
The guy that keeps calling me leaves the same call back number (it doesn't exist) and tells me he's from MULTIPLE COMPANIES. Of course I'm not going to answer the ******** phone if each voicemail says he represents 3 companies and counting! stressed

Next time he calls, I'm going to say I'm not interested and that I would appreciate if they would stop calling me--since Do Not Call registry doesn't do s**t at this point.

They call during those times because that's typically when people are awake or at home. Idk why, man.

Anxious Gekko

raggedy grrl
I'm unlisted, and I'm big on giving out fake numbers when stores want them. I also joined the DNC list as soon as I could...

...but none of that stops election calls.

For living in a freaking flyover state, I get them all, and somehow, I'm on every freakin' astroturfer list, from rabid Tea Partiers who leave me long rambling messages about how the Soviet Union never really broke up (I'm serious) and Ebola is Obama's fault (there's a whole litany of these; earthquake in China? Obama's fault, etc.), to local politicians who want to want me to know that Betty Urbano once advocating putting children into small pens, then slaughtering them and selling their tender meat to local restaurants as "cheal" to raise money to support her husband's crack habit, so she should never be allowed on the library board.

Oh, then there are stoners who want me to vote for Ron Paul for President because, "He's, like...awwwwesome, maaan..." I got one of those last summer.

I also get the "I'm some third-rate personality with an eardrum-destroying voice (e.g., Gilbert Gottfried) here to tell you why I'm voting for Jim Smuckleworth until your brain turns to raspberry jelly and squirts out your ears..." and the "I'm Bobby Bo Dicks, and I want to tell you how my opponent has used our fine state as nothing more than lousy 1-ply toilet paper with which to wipe soft gooey crap from his mammoth, pustulent buttcrack, and let me tell you fine folks how I intend put two chickens in every garage and chunks of truck tire in every pot..."

It's really starting to heat up now, and I get double messages because I used to have a fax line, so I get calls for the first number, then the second, then follow up messages from semi-literates who've been forced to memorize scripts "hel-lo-city-zen-we-are-calling-on-behalf-of..." I've had upwards of 30 calls in a day during hot elections.

i usually use these as a good guide on who not to vote for. That's how I ended voting for Harold Stassen for president last time, and a straight Whig ticket in another. I also vote Mauve a lot. They're like the Greens, only even less organized and more...mauve. Or was it suave? Something.

// Hello., this is raggedy grrl, and I approved this message.
/// Paid for by the Concerned Citizens Against Raggedy Grrl, a deliberately-misleading grassroots group that is actually in favor of raggedy grrl and fracking in children's playgrounds to find natural gas.
//// Whoa, did we say "fracking"? We meant "gentle exploration" and by "natural gas", we meant chocolate cupcakes!
///// Erm...let's just forget about that fracking stuff until after the election. Vote Raggedy Grrl for President, 2017: Better Late Than Never!

i-i don't even...

eek eek eek

Divorced Datemate

4,625 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Partygoer 500
I worked for a telefundraising company and a market research company in call centers. I understand how absolutely horrible these people's jobs are. You're not allowed to hang up on anyone unless they say the magic words "take me off your call list" and people would get pissed at me because fundraising and surveys are both exempt from the do not call list so we can still call those people and they would get outraged.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff