Welcome to Gaia! ::

Cluttered Cutesmasher

Yeah sure why not.

I mean in the UK with our health system being free upon access and funded by tax payers, they've spent money on worse things.
In other countries without free healthcare, I can see why other people would have reservations.

Tipsy Tycoon

As much as I don't really mind people undergoing sex-change surgery, I believe that taxpayer money should go into life-saving procedures first. Then things like vaccination programs, public health, aiding the handicapped, treatment of infertility maybe. However, if there's actully money to spend from the public funds - the taxpayers are free to decide where their money goes.
Hmm. Even in Canada it's considered nonessential surgery so (if I recall correctly) it's only partially covered if you have diagnosed GD.

I'm a bit on the fence about it.

On one hand I think it's society's fault for creating and perpetuating these gender stereotypes, so society should own up to it and support the few people who are consequently distressed to the point of wanting surgery. On the other hand, I respect, but can't fully empathize with the idea of "being in the wrong body". I'm genderqueer and though I think I might be in the "wrong" social category, I've never once believed that to be my body's fault.Then again, I understand that it's a lot harder to change society than it is to get sexual reassignment. I'm also not clinically distressed about it, so it's just a personal opinion. Again, I respect one's individual decision to do whatever they want to their own body.

Sugary Cat

mary faye bell
yes personally I think it should be included as health care. sometimes gender reassignment surgery IS lifesaving. I can't believe how selfish some of you are
Sounds like you're transsexual. How is deciding where your money goes to, selfish?
SHOULD NOT!
gender reassignment surgery is an elective surgery
like breast implants
and penile enlargement

Sugary Cat

Harley Jade Linnea
MiameMiame
No. If tax payer money is going to be spent on surgeries, then those surgeries should be life threatening.

So you think that someone who is denied necessary treatment because you're a bigot should suffer just because you're a bigot?
Yes. Because it's also partially my money. If anyone's a bigot it's you, you don't deal with other people's opinions well do you. I bet you're liberal. rolleyes

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff