Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dainty Doll

So, I don't know about anyone else here, but I've always moved around a lot- and I've always really enjoyed it.

I like going to places, meeting new people, making new friends etc.

However, one major downfall is that I often fall out of touch with old friends.
I'm terrible at keeping in contact with people, and sometimes I'll realise that I haven't even spoken to people that I loved to death two years ago.

I've never really seen this as a problem; it's just part of life, people move on.

Until today.
This morning, I found some old photographs of myself and a friend I haven't seen for about 3 years. We used to be very close, but lost contact when I moved away again.
So I thought I'd look her up on Facebook... I found her memorial group.

Apparantly, she and her boyfriend were attacked by a large group of teenagers they didn't even know, because of the way they dressed.
They were both put into comas, and she died last August.

In all honesty, I don't know how to feel.
I'm sorry that I didn't make more of an effort to stay in contact with her while she was alive, I'm sorry that I missed her memorial service, because I know she would have wanted me there, but most of all I'm sorry I wasn't there to comfort her boyfriend (who I was always very close to), after he came out of his coma and she didn't.

So, LD, talk to me about the importance (or lack of) of keeping in contact with old friends.
Or, if you're the type of person who's lived in the same town their whole life, do you still have the same group of close friends you've had your whole life?
Or have you somehow drifted apart?
Facebook is heart . Now I can talk to and keep up with all my friends despite the fact that they're all at different colleges now...without facing urges to kill them.
Well the last time we moved, it was just across the town. So for keeping in touch with my friends, I just use Gaia or AIM/MSN. Though my old friends Deshan and Desilver I've lost contact with. Haven't seen them since I was 10.

And sorry about your friend. Though I know what it is like to have one of your friends just die and not even know about it, nor be able to attend the memorial service. 'Few months ago in '07 my friend Sarah, whom had Leukemia died on a transplant (I think it was they jabbed the drill in too far or something along those lines), though she was all the way in Aussie, so I couldn't attend it, 'Less I flew over (which is kind of hard when your about 200 thousand in debt).
Recently into this coming year, my bestfriendship of 5 years came to an end, so freaking abruptly. It was insane because we still have to see each other at school. I kind of gave my soul to her and invested way too much time into a relationship that was clearly onesided. I now know not to do that anymore.

I think the reason they are called "old friends" is precisely that. They aren't there anymore, they were just there to provide memories, lessons. It sucks, though. I still see a lot of childhood friends that I grew up with and it just feels awkward and distant.

Though of course there are people that will still be there for you. You just need to learn how to adapt to each other through the years and all the changes that are being made.

Right now I'm at the point where I want to meet new people and I'm kind of sick of the people around me, so leaving some friends behind doesn't hurt me that much at all.
I've known one of my friends for 11 years now and we're still very good friends. ^^

But with some people who I was very good friends with I've broken up. One case was when one of my friends started to go into this religion things which I really don't care about and then she started to "convert" me... I couldn't stand so you can guess the rest.

But I like my class now. One the best people I know. 3nodding
I lived in another country, Slovenia for 3 years and made tons of friends. Unfortunately, I was quite young back then, and didn't ask for their e-mail addresses or telephone numbers, I've only got my best friend's, who moved to Indonesia.

We wrote lots of letters and e-mails to each other, but then me and my family moved back to Hungary, and I practically lost contact with her. As time passed, I didn't forget her, and I asked her msn address in another mail, which I sent about 2 years after we moved back here.

Now we keep in touch, and it feels so good. I miss her a lot, and she's changed quite much (so have I!), but I'm sure that I'll meet her and my other old classmates someday.

Romantic Gaian

my answer is... myspace. a VERY popular social networking site, almost everyone i know at school has one.
Myspace
the majority of people has one I assume
all my online friends got one
and most of my friends in real life has one as well
Quick easy simple
to just say a hello to someone
first of all i just want to say i'm very sorry for that.. i know how you feel and it's a really horrible situation.. i've never moved but i've still found ways to lose touch with people who i was really close to. they've moved away and it kinda hurts to look back and think that they've completely forgotten you. like someone else said myspace (and gaia!) are very easy ways to keep in touch with people. it's how i keep in touch with my family and we span the entire country lol. myspace is probably the biggest and easiest.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff