Welcome to Gaia! ::

Caring Sweetheart

13,150 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Battle: Cleric 100
  • Survivor 150
Is this the right forum?

Recently one of my sisters tried to steal my identity. She applied for a credit card under my name but I caught it before it was too late.

The date it was applied for was within the days my sister took off with the home phone to her side for 2wks because she said she was getting an important call. It was odd for her to do that since she has no job or a life. So I had remembered when she took off with the phone.

Then I got the phone back because she had it for too long. Then not soon after the call from the credit company came. They were calling back to confirm an application made under me name from this phone.

My mom confronted my sister about it and she denied doing it and then my sister wrote me in a letter when I was out of town saying she didn't do it that she doesn't even know my b-day or social # (she does my freaking taxes. She knows) and she gave me some random address she said she got from talking to someone from the credit company over the internet and she said this was the address linked to the account made under my name. It's like wtf how did you get that without pretending to be me?!? Which when I called the credit company the lady said that address wasn't even on file. My sister made it up! Obviously to throw suspicion away from her.

The lady I spoke to from the credit card company told me the application was called in from my home phone. I live with my sister and I didn't call to apply. The lady told me "That's odd there is another account linked to this same phone number" I told her the name of my sister and her 12yr old daughter. The lady was like "I'm not suppose to tell you but since you guessed she's like that's right." How sick she applied for one under my name and her little daughter. Then in the mail not to long after she received mail from the credit company under her maiden name. So I'm pretty sure she tried for one under her name as well.

She did this to my mother a few years ago and destroyed her credit and she did it to someone out of town and got away with it. Squat free. When she did it to my mother she told her she won the lottery. It was too late by the time she found out she stole her identity. My mom didn't press charges because she was her daughter.smh.

She keeps making me look like a fool the way she lies to my face that it wasn't her. Just how she happily lied to my mother a few years ago that she supposedly won the lottery.

I made a police report but the officer was like I don't think you can prove it was her so he didn't list her as a suspect.

It's driving me crazy. Any thoughts? Advice?

Loyal Rogue

14,550 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Elocutionist 200
********... Gods damnit! this is why cops are useless. stressed

I wish I had advice, but all I can suggest is that you cut your sister out of your life, change your passwords, and add a PIN on all of your accounts.
I don't know whether or not you should confront her, or not. It sounds dangerous, I would kick her a** out and secure your account.

Beloved Lunatic

11,325 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Brandisher 100
  • Super Tipsy 200
It sucks that she already has your important information.

If you can move out and away from her, your best bet is to cut ties as much as possible. If you can't do that, maybe invest in having identity protection and don't allow her to do your taxes any longer.

Precious Hellraiser

12,425 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Partygoer 500
  • Champion 300
First of all, your sister is sick and twisted,

Second, you should try pressing charges again. Get a different cop if you can. Your sister needs to be stopped. What she is doing is illegal.

Beloved Lunatic

11,325 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Super Tipsy 200
britt1110

Second, you should try pressing charges again. Get a different cop if you can. Your sister needs to be stopped. What she is doing is illegal.

Especially since she's trying to get cards under her underage daughter's identity. That's some sick s**t right there.

OP, your mom isn't doing any good for your sister or her victims.

Interesting Businesswoman

5,550 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
Hire a private investigator.
He is bound to get something.
Maybe try contacting a civil lawyer too.

This just sucks and I'm sorry your sister is so twisted. Your mom is ridiculous for not pressing charges tho...

Precious Hellraiser

12,425 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Partygoer 500
  • Champion 300
Digital Fiend
britt1110

Especially since she's trying to get cards under her underage daughter's identity. That's some sick s**t right there.

Yeah, like how are you going to try and ******** up you're child's credit before they're even old enough to manage credit on their own. That's just sick. And op's mom should have done somethig instead of just letting her slide like what she didn't was nothing.

Beloved Lunatic

11,325 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Super Tipsy 200
britt1110
Digital Fiend
britt1110

Yeah, like how are you going to try and ******** up you're child's credit before they're even old enough to manage credit on their own. That's just sick. And op's mom should have done somethig instead of just letting her slide like what she didn't was nothing.

Definitely. I hope I never disservice my kids like that. She's just going to get worse and worse.

Magnetic Phantom

Woah, I'd be so upset about this too. It's one thing to get screwed by strangers, but by your own family members ... sad

Unfortunately, I don't think I can be of too much help.
In my country, you can't make contracts over the phone like that.
For this to work here, she'd have to also steal your ID card (like a driver's license or something) and be your identical twin.
Credit cards also aren't used as much for daily purchases.

How did she even think this would work (for more than a few weeks maybe)?
I mean, being jobless is a bad situation to be in, I get that,
but why make one's situation even worse by stealing (and lying about it) to one's own family.
If there were things she or her daughter really needed, you or your mom would probably have helped her, right?

It's really unfortunate that she got away with it before.
Did the card company terminate the account made in your niece's name?

I suppose you can't change your social security #, you obviously can't change your birth date,
but you can change all your passwords and PINs for money-related things that she might know.
That's.... pretty harsh to say the least, I'm sorry about your situation. But first of all, your mom needs to be talked to... I don't know what kind of relationship you have with her, but if you can get her to sit down with you and talk... Then I suggest you bring it up with her, tell her that that's twice your sister has tried to screw both of your lives over. Also that forgiving your sister without any punishment... is not gonna help anything, and that if you really want her to change, both of you should go to a different police officer. Tell him/her about both of your situations, and hopefully get your sister in some sort of rehab. Just throwing it out there; that if your sister has never even looked honestly sorry for anything that she has done, then there's a very likely chance she'll do it again. She needs an interference at this point, and hopefully it shakes her up enough to change.
All great advice given above, can't add to it.

Lavish Loiterer

First thing you want to do beside changing your pw's and PIN numbers is to contact one of the major credit bureaus and request an initial fraud alert. I used TransUnion and they'll forward the alert to Experian and Equifax. So any future possible attempts of your sister trying to apply for credit as you will get blocked and you'll be contacted.

Caring Sweetheart

13,150 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Survivor 150
britt1110

Ikr I can't believe I am related to her. It makes me sick.
Yeah, I'm definitely thinking about going back in to talk to someone else. Maybe asking if they can look into phone records or something because every time I called the credit company a voice would say the call is being recorded. So maybe they have those calls of hers as some evidence.

Caring Sweetheart

13,150 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Survivor 150
klein_eine
Hire a private investigator.
He is bound to get something.
Maybe try contacting a civil lawyer too.

This just sucks and I'm sorry your sister is so twisted. Your mom is ridiculous for not pressing charges tho...

Ikr. I was upset with my mom for not doing anything. Her credit is completely destroyed and now my sister came after me and her daughter.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff