Welcome to Gaia! ::

I would buy a very small home, donate 80% of it, and give the rest of it to my family...

Guys, do you think I'm lying?
When people say stuff like that, does it make them sound naive?
Do they say it because they want to be seen as a good person?
Why?

10 million dollars is a lot. A whole lot of money can change anyone. Money can make you selfish if you have a lot of it. There lots of rich people who only want their money for themselves. I'm not saying everyone will become like this, but there are a lot of people who have this mindset.

Would you really not do much with millions of dollars FOR YOURSELF? Why or why not?

Do you think people are lying when they say that? Why?

Tell the truth.
If my husband and I were to, say, win the lottery, we'd pay off all our outstanding debts (school, doctors, house, etc.), pay off what our parents owe on their homes, make sure his continuing certification education is purchased as he needs it, buy a house for his older sister, donate goodly amounts here and there to charities we support (Games Done Quick, we're the new Notch! xD), and put the rest of it in various savings accounts and live off the interest. I know for certain that we'd keep to that, because that's the way I am. I ferret away money like nobody's business, and keep a watchful eye on our finances. I am our family's finance department.

We really would not do a whole lot for ourselves with that kind of money. This is because we are not high-maintenance people. Our computers have been budget custom rigs (Partially from habit, partially from necessity) since we started dating, with the occasional splurge on a better CPU, GPU, or RAM. We aren't interested in Alienware PCs or the latest in Apple products (we're actually fervently anti-Apple). We'd put in a fence around our property, fix up our driveway/parkway, and basically make considerable improvements on the house so that, when it comes time to flip it, we leave it better than when we bought it.

As for other people, I take them at their word regarding such things, because I usually don't know jack squat about them. If they say they wouldn't change just because they came into money, who am I to doubt that? It isn't like I'm going to follow them around like a money-minded fly-on-the-wall and give them crap over poor financial decisions. It's none of my business. I'll just say they were kind and generous if they keep to it, or stupid and wasteful if they blow it all.

Tipsy Kitten

I would start investing.

My family wouldn't get my money even if I were dead.

Tipsy Kitten

8,800 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Everyone says they would donate a chunk of it, but very few people would donate as much as they say they would, if they do at all. Imagining you have the money is different from actually having it.

If we were to win 10 million dollars tomorrow, my husband and I would pay off our debts, make sure our bills are paid and we would move into a new home with a large lot and get two vehicles. We would put away enough that our children would have enough for college for at least a little while because we don't want them to have the same debts that we do. It sounds morbid, but we would also put away enough to cover our own funeral expenses because we don't want to leave that for our children, either.

I would pay off the debt thats been chasing my grandmother and uncle since my grandfather died, and I would get them some things they need or want. I would do the same for my sister as well as pay for her college. We would give some to his sister and his parents since they've gone above and beyond to help us over the last couple of years, and I would give my mother some because she's an entitled little t**t and would probably disown me a second time if I didn't share.

After that we would probably go on vacation. Maybe something like liposuction since losing weight has been impossible -I know, it's cheating, but if I've got the money, why not throw that in there too?

I can't say whether or not we would actually donate any of it. We both know it would be a nice thing to do, but neither of us really wants to since it would be our money. Once you donate to one, other charities also come knocking and I don't like when strangers ask me for money.

I'm not very good with money so I would probably go through it relatively quickly on a lot of smaller things. My husband however saves money like crazy.

Timid Combatant

13,690 Points
  • Squash Smasher 50
  • Candy Massacre 50
  • Task Accomplished 100
With ten million dollars, I'd just buy a different house and invite the rest of my group of four to live with me, stick the entire rest of it into savings and live off of the interest, unemployed. The interest on $10,000,000 would easily be enough for me to provide for food and whatever worldly desires I have. I'm not usually struck with consumeristic desire.

It'd also be enough for me to travel, so that covers everything in which I would foreseeably have any interest.

Indulgent Partner

I would pay off my student loan debt, get hybrid cars, build a house, and go for my PhD. That would honestly be about 2 million at the most.

Help my family out a little bit, fly out and rent a swanky hotel suite in the city my boyfriend lives in for a visit. Then donate a lot of the rest.

Clean Gekko

3,300 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Bunny Spotter 50
buy a farm
stock it up with lotsa crops
get some animals like pigs an chickens

basically have better version of where I grew up yknow
make into that travelers halfway house I talked about before

Aged Humorist

It depends on who they are. If you know them personally, it might be easier to believe, but a lot of the times I think stuff like that is a knee-jerk reaction to the question.

I know for a fact that I wouldn't donate it-- or at least I wouldn't donate very much of it. Whether that makes me selfish or not, I don't know, but I'd be more interested in using it to make my life easy and the lives of those around me than giving it to a shaky charity.

I'd do nice things on my terms with it, not give it away to someone else when I don't know what it's actually going to.

Spoopy Kitten

Honestly, i wouldnt do much with it. I cant say id donate most of it, but i would donate what i dont see myself needing. Id buy a little ranch home for my boyfriend and i with tons of land, buy a puppy/dog or three, a video game system with a few games, then put the rest in our savings. If we still have buttloads left over, id probly donate it to animal and homeless shelters. Money means very little to me, and i dont ask for much

Ice-Cold Conversationalist

Square business, I would by some land with living water and mineral rights so my money would continually increase. The first time I won big on a scratch off I paid off my house and put a $**T load of scratch into my daughter's bank account. I gave a lot to my favorite charity. It's a good feeling to help out when you have it. My dad wins scratch off jackpots a lot, but, he only gave me $100. It's all good though.

Luminosus's Wife

Sparkly Cutie-Pie

15,350 Points
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
I honestly don't think I'd do much with it, mostly b/c I currently have access to a decent chunk of cash & don't do anything with it. I have no debt to pay off, my car is only a year old. I guess I'd buy one of those really nice (1 mil) houses on the market in my area, rather than the more sensible type I've been shopping for. Then I could see myself filling up a savings account to pay for college for future kids, investing some, and donating at least half of it.

I don't think people are outright lying when they say they wouldn't do much with sudden millions, but if you look at the history of lottery winners, sudden riches can be overwhelming & you won't necessarily do what you thought you'd do when you had a clear mind. Plus, people go after you, seek you out and tell you sob stories, its hard to either steel your heart, or give in and help everyone, loosing all your money.
I would live off the interest after buying $200k(including renovations) house with land.

Dedicated Squatter

with 10 mil id buy a nice house in a nice location , have a friend move in , maybe travel more . id get everything medical and transition-related done asap ( top surgery , new glasses that arent cheap as hell , HRT ) . i would probably pay off my familys debt even though they dont treat any aspect of my life very kindly

theres probably some other stuff too , but i guess id save a lot and then give the leftovers to charities

i dont believe folk are lying when they say they would give most of it away , i just dont really understand it . im all for helping those who need it but as someone who also needs it , its hard to picture anyone giving most of it away

Deathly Protagonist

y'all aint lyin ur just a loser
id buy a castle and run a harem

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out