Welcome to Gaia! ::

Mirror mirror on the wall, who's the fairest of them all?

not u fgt 1 100.0% [ 16 ]
Total Votes:[ 16 ]
< 1 2

I needed glasses in high school and my eyes got worse since then, I bought 2 pairs of glasses about a year after high school, and my eyes since got worse AGAIN. However I can't afford to buy new glasses.

Tipsy Kitten

8,800 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Your vision can change a lot in your teens, and then as you transition into adulthood it's not uncommon for the eyes to change a lot, they usually stabalize between 18-21 I've been told. It's not unusual for your vision to change and 8 years is actually plenty of time to have a noticeable change like that, especially at your age.

I never used to wear mine all the time since I was very self-consious about them, but I realized it was because my mom always picked them out and I just didn't like the frames. They can be a good accessory if you like the frames you get. I get mine at Walmart now and they generally have a 2 for 1 deal and I get two pairs that I can switch about. Other places will do it too, but it's generally pretty pricey.

I actually don't mind wearing them now since for one, I can see great, and for another the ones I have look pretty good on me.

My eyes are not great. I am extremely near-sighted, I can only see things clearly if they're like a foot in front of my face. Watching tv without my glasses is a disaster. My husband's vision is much worse. Still not legally blind, but he can't do s**t without his glasses.

And nothing interesting happened today. I didn't even get up until 12. I will probably spend the rest of the day crocheting my husband and I's Christmas stockings. If I don't do it soon they won't be done for Christmas since I'm a lazy butt this time of year.

Bloodsucker

My eye doctor told me I have hawk eyes.
I'm long-sighted, though. So when things are close up everything is a blur.

Boyfriend has really bad eyes- it worries me when he drives at night. sad

Invisible Humorist

i got the same score as you

Invisible Humorist

The Ice Dervish
Majikkani_Hand
The Ice Dervish
Went to the DMV a few months ago and did my basic vision test. Got scored as 20/40 in both eyes, I took note of it but was ultimately okay with it due to it still being within standards to get my permit and drive. Now that I've had my permit for a while and have been practicing driving a lot I've been noticing how garbage my vision really is. I can't read street signs from a decent distance in broad daylight, I'm practically inside the intersection before they're legible (not completely inside, but close enough to the point at which I couldn't change course if I needed to if the street the one I needed to turn on). My night vision is even worse, I went out of my lane twice tonight (it was raining so that didn't help) and I couldn't see the white dotted lines or the curb at all. When the rain stopped I took a left turn on this one dark road and ran over the yellow lines in the middle, I couldn't see them at all. It affects me when I'm not driving as well, I haven't really noticed it much (as it has been a gradual change) but I tend to hold things closer to my face to see or read them now too. The first time I noticed myself having issues seeing from afar was in high school when I had issues reading the board from the back of the room, but I didn't think anything of that. This is odd since I last got checked at an eye doctor (8 years ago..) I apparently had near perfect vision but was slightly farsighted.

TLDR; Did basic vision test to get learners permit, was told I have 20/40 vision and that is considered okay for driving. Have issues seeing street signs till it's too late to tell what street it is, can't see in the dark very well either. Ran out of lane twice tonight while it was dark + raining. Sometimes have issues reading things normally too, my distance vision is the problem. Not sure when this started, I probably need glasses to correct this s**t now (just my assumption).

Discuss:

Is it weird that my vision was fine eight years ago but is now like this (I'm eighteen)? Should vision degrade that fast? I use the computer a lot and I'm sure that contributed but really?

Do you wear glasses/contacts? How do they affect your life? How bad are your eyes?

How does everyone here feel about their vision (whether you wear glasses or not)?

How was your day? Did anything cool happen?

I found out I needed glasses when my mother asked my brother about a picture on the wall of the restaurant, and was (to us) mysteriously horrified when neither of us could tell what it was of. (She'd realized he needed them earlier in the day, but hadn't realized it about me yet.)

It might seem fast, if you have no point of comparison, but let me tell you, your vision is actually degrading pretty slowly--eight years is a LONG time, eyes-wise, and you barely got worse at all! My eyes went much faster (of course, they started earlier, too--I got my glasses when I was 11, I think). Computers are probably not the cause, although ask a doctor to be sure, of course.

I like my glasses--they protect my eyes from dust and flying stuff, which is important because I work in a pet store and man, do those birds like to spray feathers and shell casings around. They fog under normal safety glasses, though. I wore contacts, but I have dry eyes which makes them harder to put in, and I need special ones because of my astigmatism--plus, I forget to take them out, and once one of them partially dissolved in my eye because I had it in for so long (I was a lazy teenager; what do you want?)

My eyes can't be measured on the 20/whatever scale anymore--they're too bad. They're actually only medium-bad, though--at least I can still correct them to 20/20!

I wish I could see better, but honestly, whatever. You get really, really used to it. Plus, if I need to not be visually distracted, all I do is take my glasses off and the world is just mostly-meaningless smudges!

My day was good. There were animals. I petted them. That is the wonderful side effect of working at a pet store. smile

I can only imagine what my eyes will be like when I'm 30 or so though gonk I don't want to not be able to see anything when I'm middleaged, not much I can do about this though. Hopefully getting an eye exam soon.

I'm just worried about how I'll look, I have this bad feeling that I'll end up looking retarded with them. Though these fears are pretty unfounded, since I have no reason to believe that I'd look bad. I could only hope that I would end up looking like this, my face shape is close enough to hers I guess. Though I'll probably still end up disappointed LOL:

User Image

Sorry about your vision though, I feel like a major crybaby bitching about my eyes when other people have it worse.

What kind of pet shop is it? Like a petsmart or a petco? Do you get to cuddle kittens? emotion_kirakira

Are you tall like Donna too?

Divine Streaker

11,600 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Mark Twain 100
Is it weird that my vision was fine eight years ago but is now like this (I'm eighteen)? Should vision degrade that fast? I use the computer a lot and I'm sure that contributed but really?
Not weird at all. Puberty does wonky things to your eyes, plus the computer can damage your vision as well. When I was a kid I went from 20/20 to 20/250 in both eyes in less than year!

Do you wear glasses/contacts? How do they affect your life? How bad are your eyes?
Yes. They don't really affect my life at all. I've worn glasses for 15 years so I really can't imagine me NOT having them. My vision is now 20/400 in one eye, 20/450 in the other

How does everyone here feel about their vision (whether you wear glasses or not)?
I don't really feel anything in particular about my vision. I just pray every day that I don't break my glasses, lol. I'm hard on my frames.

Um...my kid pooped so much it came oozing out the sides of her diaper. Does that count?

Dedicated Squatter

its totally normal as far as im aware , i had hawk eyes as a kid and now im legally blind

ive been wearing glasses for about 5 years . they dont really affect my life at all when theyre on , i hardly notice them . but they have changed my eyesight without them drastically . the thing about having glasses is they dont make your eyes better , not in the slightest , they just help you see while theyre on . eventually your eyes adjust to the outside source and causes your vision to get substantially worse when you dont have them

not sure how it works for contacts , i havent ever had them

its shitty as hell , im severely nearsighted and anything more than 5 feet away is blurry

but im not complaining too much , frankly i enjoy the look of glasses

i got stoned and ate a lot

Tipsy Prophet

15,625 Points
  • Conquerer of Familiars 350
  • Budding Witch 250
  • Ghost Hunter 250
I have to wear glasses all the time, though I'm looking into getting contacts, and hopefully within the next 2-3 years laser correction. I first started wearing them in grade 9 because I couldn't see the board. It also didn't help that I had been given the wrong type of prescription either. I was originally told I needed progressive, and only had to wear the in school. The I switched to a different optometrist, and was given the right prescription, which is single vision, wear them all the time. They have more or less settled now, but I still hate wearing glasses, they fog up when you walk in from outside in the winter, they get all smudgy, they can fall of you're face. If you get muzzle punched my a dog (or punched in the face for that matter) it hurts like 10x more. But I need to see, so I deal with it. and you learn to see through all the smudgyness
GhostlyMark
The Ice Dervish
Majikkani_Hand
The Ice Dervish
Went to the DMV a few months ago and did my basic vision test. Got scored as 20/40 in both eyes, I took note of it but was ultimately okay with it due to it still being within standards to get my permit and drive. Now that I've had my permit for a while and have been practicing driving a lot I've been noticing how garbage my vision really is. I can't read street signs from a decent distance in broad daylight, I'm practically inside the intersection before they're legible (not completely inside, but close enough to the point at which I couldn't change course if I needed to if the street the one I needed to turn on). My night vision is even worse, I went out of my lane twice tonight (it was raining so that didn't help) and I couldn't see the white dotted lines or the curb at all. When the rain stopped I took a left turn on this one dark road and ran over the yellow lines in the middle, I couldn't see them at all. It affects me when I'm not driving as well, I haven't really noticed it much (as it has been a gradual change) but I tend to hold things closer to my face to see or read them now too. The first time I noticed myself having issues seeing from afar was in high school when I had issues reading the board from the back of the room, but I didn't think anything of that. This is odd since I last got checked at an eye doctor (8 years ago..) I apparently had near perfect vision but was slightly farsighted.

TLDR; Did basic vision test to get learners permit, was told I have 20/40 vision and that is considered okay for driving. Have issues seeing street signs till it's too late to tell what street it is, can't see in the dark very well either. Ran out of lane twice tonight while it was dark + raining. Sometimes have issues reading things normally too, my distance vision is the problem. Not sure when this started, I probably need glasses to correct this s**t now (just my assumption).

Discuss:

I found out I needed glasses when my mother asked my brother about a picture on the wall of the restaurant, and was (to us) mysteriously horrified when neither of us could tell what it was of. (She'd realized he needed them earlier in the day, but hadn't realized it about me yet.)

It might seem fast, if you have no point of comparison, but let me tell you, your vision is actually degrading pretty slowly--eight years is a LONG time, eyes-wise, and you barely got worse at all! My eyes went much faster (of course, they started earlier, too--I got my glasses when I was 11, I think). Computers are probably not the cause, although ask a doctor to be sure, of course.

I like my glasses--they protect my eyes from dust and flying stuff, which is important because I work in a pet store and man, do those birds like to spray feathers and shell casings around. They fog under normal safety glasses, though. I wore contacts, but I have dry eyes which makes them harder to put in, and I need special ones because of my astigmatism--plus, I forget to take them out, and once one of them partially dissolved in my eye because I had it in for so long (I was a lazy teenager; what do you want?)

My eyes can't be measured on the 20/whatever scale anymore--they're too bad. They're actually only medium-bad, though--at least I can still correct them to 20/20!

I wish I could see better, but honestly, whatever. You get really, really used to it. Plus, if I need to not be visually distracted, all I do is take my glasses off and the world is just mostly-meaningless smudges!

My day was good. There were animals. I petted them. That is the wonderful side effect of working at a pet store. smile

I can only imagine what my eyes will be like when I'm 30 or so though gonk I don't want to not be able to see anything when I'm middleaged, not much I can do about this though. Hopefully getting an eye exam soon.

I'm just worried about how I'll look, I have this bad feeling that I'll end up looking retarded with them. Though these fears are pretty unfounded, since I have no reason to believe that I'd look bad. I could only hope that I would end up looking like this, my face shape is close enough to hers I guess. Though I'll probably still end up disappointed LOL:

User Image

Sorry about your vision though, I feel like a major crybaby bitching about my eyes when other people have it worse.

What kind of pet shop is it? Like a petsmart or a petco? Do you get to cuddle kittens? emotion_kirakira

Are you tall like Donna too?

Nah I wish, she's 5'10 and I'm only 5'8 lol

Luminosus's Wife

Sparkly Cutie-Pie

15,350 Points
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
Vision can change during puberty. That probably did more than computers (unless your monitor's brightness is set to max and you do everything in the dark, I guess that would do some damage.)

I've worn glasses since I was 7. Had my prescription upgraded almost every year until my 20s, when it finally stopped getting worse. It'll probably degrade again in my 40s or 50s. I just hope I don't need bifocals, but considering both my parents have them now, its probably in my future.

Glasses are fine. I have s**t vision without them (20/160? I think?), so I wear them all the time. Tried contacts once, couldn't get the hang of sticking things in my eye. Its cool, I pick out fancy frames and I think they compliment my face well.

Magical Fairy

20,300 Points
  • Caroling Champ 100
  • Snowball Hero 200
  • Frozen Solid 200
My vision has gotten terrible over the years to the point where I finally got glasses. I don't wear them all the time, though--just usually during classes when I need to see the board or if I need to read signs that's far away from me. Otherwise I function fine without them. I used to have pretty decent vision when I was a teen, but now I can't see as clearly anymore. Even my vision in my good right eye deteriorated over the years. It's still better than my left eye, though.

I don't like wearing glasses, but at the same time, I can't wear contacts either (bad experience in the past with them) and lasik surgery is way too expensive.
Before I started wearing glasses, I never thought I needed them either. Everything is just much more defined with them on. I can't imagine not wearing them now.
cisslinger
ive been wearing glasses for about 5 years . they dont really affect my life at all when theyre on , i hardly notice them . but they have changed my eyesight without them drastically . the thing about having glasses is they dont make your eyes better , not in the slightest , they just help you see while theyre on . eventually your eyes adjust to the outside source and causes your vision to get substantially worse when you dont have them

not sure how it works for contacts , i havent ever had them

its shitty as hell , im severely nearsighted and anything more than 5 feet away is blurry

In my experience, contacts stabilize the problem, if not actually help your eyes to get a bit better, at least with these soft ones (I never had the hard ones so I don't know how they affect things). I've been wearing contacts for 7.5 years now (been wearing glasses since 9 years before then), awhile back I found my glasses that I had just before switching, I can see just as well with them as I can the pair I got a couple years ago.

I'm big-time near-sighted, don't know exactly what the numbers are or anything, but basically anything more than a foot away (if not less) is blurry - I can still make out general shapes after that point, I just can't pick out details. I can't really properly focus on things if they're closer than a foot away with glasses (aka: I have to take them off to read a book or play handheld games), but without any sort of aid things start to get a little fuzzy more than six inches away.. The exception to all the rules is my alarm clock; I can read those numbers okay (they might be a bit fuzzy) from up to 3 feet away.

Even with aid, I still have issues picking out details (reading signs, the blackboard, etc..) from a far distance - sitting at the back of the class in school was a challenge, I'm not the one you want with you to watch for signs, etc.. but I've accepted my vision for what it is and that like it or not I have to visit the optometrist annually (I can't go back to glasses full time), and am horribly light-sensitive (driving at night sucks if there's other vehicles around, as does the sun in winter around untouched snow)
The Ice Dervish

As far as I can figure, I lost a great deal of my eyesight in during middle school. I don't know when the change occurred or how fast, but it wasn't until I went to optometrist in highschool that I was stuck with the realization of how bad my eyesight had gotten.

The Ice Dervish

I wear contacts. Glasses on occasion when I'm lazy or tired. Second nature to me. The only grievance that I have is when I go to the pool -- I'm a lap swimmer, gotta exercise -- and forget to have contacts in instead of glasses. (*Yes, even though it's a huge no-no to wear contacts in the water.) I'm nearsighted. -3.50/-3.25

The Ice Dervish

Contacts saved my life.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces