Welcome to Gaia! ::

How should I go about the business of coming out to my family? Everyone knows I'm a lesbian except them and I'm very ready to make it known. The only problem is how should I do it? Experiences are welcome.
I know there are a lot of posts like this and I know this is a very novice question to some of you maybe but I'd still like to know...for me, personally. Thanks.

Kawaii Autobiographer

4,600 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Happy Birthday! 100
I just told my parents.
I don't have any experience with this, but if you want to tell them, just tell them!
Don't think about it to much, and think of how you told it to your friends.

Liberal Receiver

I came out to my dad like this;
"Uh, dad. I'm gay, I like men."

His response was "Ok?"

Thirteenth Seeker

just do it! biggrin

Timid Combatant

13,690 Points
  • Squash Smasher 50
  • Candy Massacre 50
  • Task Accomplished 100
Probably the same way you tell them anything, I guess.

Hygienic Regular

Email them this picture to lessen the blow first.

User Image

That's what I did.

Bloodsucker

Just tell them straight up?
I mean. Are they accepting of things or are they strict and believe strongly of their opinions?

Just sit them down and tell them you have to tell them something that's very important to you, and bam "I'm _____"

Sunilu's Prince

Bachelorette

I don't see why they need to know.

Explorer

making it unique would be cute and ease the tension. but who knows.

Girl-Crazy Bloodsucker

Is it something you need to do? Or is t something you feel obligated to do?

Because if they're giant homophobes or whatever, then you may want to just keep it to yourself to avoid drama.

Dangerous Kitten

sunset illu

Well, eventually they may wanna open up that their best friend/roommate/travel partner Greg is actually their life partner, and ya mom that's why I haven't had a girlfriend in 9 years. But only until the commitment ceremony is being planned, and NOT UNTIL THEN.

Edit: Replace Greg with Sarah, and girlfriend with boyfriend. I've been hitting the sauce and my reading comprehension ain't up to par.

Devoted Seeker

18,025 Points
  • Lightbulb 150
  • Spirit of the Smackdown! 100
  • Rat Conqueror 500
sunset illu

I think they would like to know so they won't be surprise at a wedding invite in future

Sparkly Lunatic

I accidentally let it slip that I was dating a female. There was an awkward silence. Mother was displeased and asked if I was doing this to hurt her. That relationship is not brought up around mom, but my sisters are chill. Mom "hid" it from extended family by not talking about it. I'm not overly concered about that as I am not close with them anyway.

Mom does accnowlage that the relationship occured. Also she hasn't disowned me or hurt me. She has been civil about it. That is all I could ask for.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff