Welcome to Gaia! ::

Timid Combatant

13,690 Points
  • Squash Smasher 50
  • Candy Massacre 50
  • Task Accomplished 100
In my right thumb, about two hours ago. Four. Then a tetanus shot. My hand is wrapped in gauze.

After I got home, I went outside for sword practice, using the left one only, holding it in my teeth to free up my hand to open the door or adjust my jacket (because it is currently below freezing).

Discuss the impact of injury on day-to-day life. Have you been injured in any relevant way? How did you need to accommodate it? How difficult was it for you to adjust? Was it temporary or permanent?

Magical Tree

That just makes you more bad-a** now. 4laugh

My friend cut his hand pretty badly with a tuna can lid (he was opening the tuna). Had to get stitches. He was in shock.
Hope you have a less embarrassing story than his... (his students called him tuna can for weeks!)

My worst injuries... well I nearly broke my tail bone twice. Sucked. You can't sit. or you have to carry a stupid looking pillow (donut pillow).
I also ruptured a disk and herniated another - so... yeah... had to carry a lumbar support pillow for 2 years, do months of physical therapy, and took an ungodly amount of pain killers. >.<'
Well I fell off the bus steps in the seventh grade, got a pretty bad sprain. Had to use crutches for a day or two, my left ankle still has stability problems to this day. If that counts at all.

Invisible Lunatic

I usually just plow through injuries and try to ignore them.

One thing that did actually impair my hand function for like a week was when I had to use a die grinder at work for like four hours. I couldn't use my right hand properly for awhile because the vibration damaged the nerves and needed time to heal. Thankfully that wasn't one of my regular jobs.

Feral Bibliophile

13,750 Points
  • Restorative Spirit 250
  • Marathon 300
  • Tooth Fairy 100
My stomach ruptured and I was internally bleeding for a month.
I had to get emergency surgery and blood transfusions.
Now I have a bad a** scar down my abdomen.
Sitting up after the surgery was the most painful thing I've experienced.
If I think about it, I cringe.

Generous Poster

Fell off a staircase in Bangladesh when I was like 5. Got a pretty bad gash on my knee which still has the scar.

Cluttered Cutesmasher

I was born with messed up achilles tendons in both feet. Tried years of trying to stretch them with plaster cast and physiotherapy, spent years on and off with wheelchairs and crutches in the mean time. Had surgery, stitches were a pain in the a**, more casting and physiotherapy and some more use of a wheelchair and now i'm okay. Have a big scar on my worst foot and two little ones on the other. My ankles arn't very strong but I walk normally now.

Clean Gekko

3,300 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Bunny Spotter 50
why do stitches itch so bad
like I never figured that out
cause then you end up scratchin it open again

Luminosus's Wife

Sparkly Cutie-Pie

15,350 Points
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
I once opened up my hand with a box cutter. That stretchy piece of skin between your thumb and pointer finger? Poked it gonk The hole stretched open and made a big, gaping hole. Had to take the bus from campus to the ER for stitches + tetanus shot. I had been working on a sculpture project that was due the next day, and on my way out to catch the bus, ran in to my prof, showed her the wound, and she didn't excuse me from the due date. So, after my ER trip was over, I took a dinner break and went strait back to work. Got a B on the assignment.

Fashionable Sex Symbol

14,075 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Millionaire 200
  • Flatterer 200
I have broken ribs, currently. I had over 100 stitches from a pitbull attack a few weeks ago (Mainly on my arms/hands), but those where removed now. Also had both wrists sprained, along with an ankle. sweatdrop So, a little messed up right now. xd

Distinct Member

The Ice Dervish
Well I fell off the bus steps in the seventh grade, got a pretty bad sprain. Had to use crutches for a day or two, my left ankle still has stability problems to this day. If that counts at all.

Ha ha! I know which leg to sweep kick you now! ninja

Benevolent Smoker

Do you hold the sword in your mouth like Zoro?

mabu janai's Husbando

Handsome Hero

I narrowly avoided getting stitches on my right middle finger some years ago.
I was cleaning a glass fish bowl and it broke and sliced my finger pretty deep.
My kitchen looked like a murder scene, hah hah. Went to the ER, but it turned out to be juuuuust shallow enough.
Still had to wrap that finger like a mother ******** though.

The worst injury I ever had was probably the burn on my right hand I got in a car crash.
It was a hit and run in the middle of the night, tore the whole front of my car right off.
I'm really surprised me and my passengers got off so easy.

Between my burn, my cousin's little stitches on his head from hitting the window and my girlfriend's broken glasses, that's nothing.
We kinda expected to die or something because the damage was so bad. Wow.

But yeah damn that burn, that sucked, man. I had to put cream on it forever and change gauze... couldn't write for a while (my right hand is my dominant).
So I had to get doctor's notes for my college courses, got excused from a lot of essays and tests, heh heh.
A few months ago I sliced my thumb with a box cutter while I was opening a case of wine at work. Thankfully workers comp covered all my medical bills, but I felt really bad since I had to leave work and go to the ER. There were only three people on the schedule at the time, so one took me to the ER and my manager had to stay and hold the store by himself for almost three hours.

I ended up with seven stitched and a pretty gnarly scar. I had to have my thumb in a splint while I was out so I wouldn't pop my stitches so that hindered me quite a bit. Not having use of a thumb is hard, and I couldn't lift anything about about 10lbs the first couple days. It only took about a week to pretty much get my thumb back up to full function but part of my thumb are still numb where I cut some superficial nerves, which is a weird sensation. Honestly though, I felt like it hurt me way more when they gave me the shots of anesthetic before they stitched me up. That was sore for days and it hurt like a b***h when they gave me the shots.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff