Welcome to Gaia! ::

I had a vegan friend, but she was never like that. So this is all new to me, haha. From my experience with a vegan, she was well-informed about animal cruelty and she educated me upon it. Sadly for her, she was getting picked on by our other friends for being vegan. They would try to tempt her to eat ice cream, and they would make fun of her, going as far as to tell her to go graze on the grass outside their yard. I think if she were to act preachy, they would tell her to go eat grass or something.
But what I do hate, like someone said--I hate people who preach too. They sound high and mighty, and think that we need to change because they believe we do. When really, it's none of their business on what we eat or how we live. What matters is that we respect each other. I don't care if you're vegetarian, vegan, or omnivore like me, as long as we respect each other and don't think lowly of each other because our diets are different.

Friendly Informer

7,200 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Informer 100
Thisistotallyridiculous

Just because they're vegan, doesn't mean they should go calling me a heartless b***h.
That insult was immature, rude and uncalled for. They don't have to respect the fact, or even like the fact that I drink milk. But they could at least have been civil about it. neutral
Kinky Genis
I had a vegan friend, but she was never like that. So this is all new to me, haha. From my experience with a vegan, she was well-informed about animal cruelty and she educated me upon it. Sadly for her, she was getting picked on by our other friends for being vegan. They would try to tempt her to eat ice cream, and they would make fun of her, going as far as to tell her to go graze on the grass outside their yard. I think if she were to act preachy, they would tell her to go eat grass or something.
But what I do hate, like someone said--I hate people who preach too. They sound high and mighty, and think that we need to change because they believe we do. When really, it's none of their business on what we eat or how we live. What matters is that we respect each other. I don't care if you're vegetarian, vegan, or omnivore like me, as long as we respect each other and don't think lowly of each other because our diets are different.

It's more than a diet though. So much more. That's what omnivores often don't understand.

It's a stand against animal torture.

When I first went vegan and was exposed to the torture that goes on in factory farming, I wanted to share the information to EVERYONE, so we could PUT AN END to this.

I was completely shocked when people started insulting me for it. It still makes me cry. No matter how many omnivores call me preachy or self-righteous, I'm still going to fight this. Because it's just the right thing to do. There will always be those people who want to hate you for presenting the ugly truth. It's a threat to their comfort, the way they've lived their entire lives.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

It's also a stand against the destruction of our planet and human health. But the most unforgivable thing about factory farming is how these animals are treated like objects, unfeeling machines. And because of this blind spot in our perception of reality, these animals suffer more than any other case of human abuse I've heard of. That even includes the holocaust.

When vegans 'preach', we're really BEGGING for understanding. But what happens is we're laughed at. Mocked and ignored. And so the animals continue to suffer.
They should probably stop talking because they aren't helping their cause. Everything they're doing is for self-gratification and not to fight for any greater cause, and it's a bit pathetic to see people stoop that low just to feel heard.

Also, Vegan is just two letters away from v****a. So... You just think about that.

Friendly Informer

7,200 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Informer 100
Thisistotallyridiculous
And because of this blind spot in our perception of reality, these animals suffer more than any other case of human abuse I've heard of. That even includes the holocaust.

You're going to destroy any chance you have of getting people to understand if you post s**t like that.
Comparing eating meat and dairy to the holocaust...just, really. Just don't go there.
LordKhrima
They should probably stop talking because they aren't helping their cause. Everything they're doing is for self-gratification and not to fight for any greater cause, and it's a bit pathetic to see people stoop that low just to feel heard.

Also, Vegan is just two letters away from v****a. So... You just think about that.

I totally love staying up all night trying to spread awareness of factory farming only to be insulted and get spit in the face.

I really love crying knowing that there are people in this world who subject animals to almost unbelievable pain their entire lives simply for someone's convenience foods.

I really enjoy tossing and turning in my bed feeling like the weight of the world is on my shoulders and I'm being crushed under the weight of society's apathetic nature.

I totally love sacrificing my sleep to try to bring awareness to more people.

And I really love when people call my efforts self-gratifying and pathetic.
Thisistotallyridiculous

I totally love staying up all night trying to spread awareness of factory farming only to be insulted and get spit in the face.

I really love crying knowing that there are people in this world who subject animals to almost unbelievable pain their entire lives simply for someone's convenience foods.

I really enjoy tossing and turning in my bed feeling like the weight of the world is on my shoulders and I'm being crushed under the weight of society's apathetic nature.

Well at least you have hobbies! smile

Liberal Receiver

Thisistotallyridiculous
LordKhrima

So, you're a bigger masochist than most of the people into BDSM?
Good to know.

LordKhrima

Well at least you have hobbies! smile

I personally prefer origami, truth be told. Or even tatting.
Sai X Kaitou
Thisistotallyridiculous
And because of this blind spot in our perception of reality, these animals suffer more than any other case of human abuse I've heard of. That even includes the holocaust.

You're going to destroy any chance you have of getting people to understand if you post s**t like that.
Comparing eating meat and dairy to the holocaust...just, really. Just don't go there.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.105488802889556.6321.100002853109077&type=3

If you haven't yet read 'Night', it's a great story about Elie Wiesel's time in the concentration camps of the holocaust.

Thisistotallyridiculous

You should read The Lives of Animals by Coetzee. I think you'll like the intro in particular.

Friendly Informer

7,200 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Informer 100
Thisistotallyridiculous

Oh boy here we go.
Look, regardless of all that, it's a pretty sensitive subject to bring up. Just don't do it. If you do, people will be less likely to listen and regard you as an insensitive a*****e.
Sai X Kaitou
Thisistotallyridiculous

Oh boy here we go.
Look, regardless of all that, it's a pretty sensitive subject to bring up. Just don't do it. If you do, people will be less likely to listen and regard you as an insensitive a*****e.

I'm pretty sensitive about factory farming.

I'm not a speciesist, and I find people who are to be insensitive assholes.

Friendly Informer

7,200 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Informer 100
Thisistotallyridiculous

I'm pretty sensitive about factory farming.

I'm not a speciesist, and I find people who are to be insensitive assholes.

Tell that to the millions of Jews or the families of survivors that inhabit this planet and see what happens.
Everyone is a speciesist to some extent. If I were to choose between saving an ant and a man who has family and friends, it's a no brainer that I'd save the human.
Never seen an ant commit suicide or cut themselves after losing a few of it's members.
And be glad that we're one of few species that actually even manages to care about what happens to other species.
If I saw a starving cat, I'd share my meal with it. However, if I were starving and left for dead, what are the odds that the cat would share it's food with me or even give a s**t about how I'm doing?

Girl-Crazy Friend

10,425 Points
  • Tipsy 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Generous 100
Thisistotallyridiculous
I get more annoyed by omnivores who always assume, no matter how polite a vegan is, that the vegan is judging them and being preachy when all they're doing is presenting facts.

They automatically go into defense mode because it makes them question their lifestyle.

"Belief in myths allows the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy

And when someone dispels those myths, of course they get angry because it makes them uncomfortable.

Fact is that 'preachy' vegans are trying to do good, and all the assholes who treat them like s**t for it are just trying to condone their selfish habits.

Veganism is a stand against animal torture.

When I first went vegan and was exposed to the torture that goes on in factory farming, I wanted to share the information to EVERYONE, so we could PUT AN END to this.

I was completely shocked when people started insulting me for it. It still makes me cry. But no matter how many omnivores call me preachy or self-righteous, I'm still going to fight this. Because it's just the right thing to do. There will always be those people who want to hate you for presenting the ugly truth. It's a threat to their comfort, the way they've lived their entire lives.

It's also a stand against the destruction of our planet and human health. But the most unforgivable thing about factory farming is how these animals are treated like objects, unfeeling machines. And because of this blind spot in our perception of reality, these animals suffer more than any other case of human abuse I've heard of. That even includes the holocaust.

When vegans 'preach', we're really BEGGING for understanding. But what happens is we're laughed at. Mocked and ignored. And so the animals continue to suffer.

This ^
Meat eaters only get pissed because they have to take a look at their own morals, and they don't like it. After all the whole meaning behind veganism/vegetarianism is to cause as little suffering as possible. Meats bad for us, the animals and the planet and all they can say is "it tastes good" oh yeah? good luck with all those health problems.
Same. I don't care what peoples various eating habits are, I just don't want them to be forced on me, or people criticising mine.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff