Welcome to Gaia! ::

Basically, these are my directions ; "...discuss the allegorical content of The Canterbury Tales by examining characters embodying specific flaws of medieval society. How can the characters you encountered so far be considered allegorical?"

I was assigned the character Friar. I've never written an allegory nor even knew what it meant until this year, but from what I've learned it's basically a "hidden meaning." (Correct?) So what is the hidden meaning when Friar is a "limitour", a crooked business man, and is pretty much on a hunt for love? (If that's even correct about him?)
madatthebullys
was hopping it was math

I kind of wish it were math instead of this

Fashionable Hunter

I love essays biggrin

I actually missed English class so much that I'm taking Politics and Literature for fun.

Sparkly Duck

He represents medieval man syndrome. A serious disease in which I have no idea what I'm talking about. I didn't read The Canterbury Tales. Is being creative hard for you? I know it can be for me. Better start getting creative with the google searches.

Sparkly Nerd

28,925 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Brandisher 100
I had do the same assignment in high school (I think grade 10?). Can't remember which character I was assigned. But I do remember getting an A+ and being surprised as I was chemically impared when I wrote the report (the night before it was due).

I found that being impaired while writing my English reports resulted in high grades... so long as I edited them sober.

Sparkly Duck

Melisserz
I had do the same assaignment in high school. Can't remember which character I was assigned. But I do remember getting an A+ and being surprised as I was both drunk and high when I wrote the report (the night before it was due).

I found that being drunk and high while writing all of my English reports resulted in high grades... so long as I edited them sober.

Can confirm works through all levels of school, high school and college. The final boss of grad school may be a little different though.

Honestly though when it's legal for you to use, things like that do tend to boost creativity. I naturally act with my body language so whenever I fudged a paper I fought for a chance to present it. It helps if your professors/teachers like you.

Magical Tree

Ok, so an allegory is a story that looks like a story on the surface but it has very broad meaning.
It's usually a comment on society or a group of people, or life in general.

Sometimes it's obvious what the characters personify (because their names will be things like suffering, or greed, or rich man) but other times you have to think and read more closely.

"..discuss the allegorical content of The Canterbury Tales by examining characters embodying specific flaws of medieval society. How can the characters you encountered so far be considered allegorical?"

Ok. Sounds like they want you to look at your character and say how he embodies a flaw in medieval society. And then say how he is allegorical (that is, make an argument for how he's a cultural norm or trait in human form - and not just any old person).

I haven't actually read much of the Canterbury Tales (to my own shame, i admit, i was an Eng Lit major once... changed to Ling), but you said your character is Friar.. and that he's a crooked businessman and a lecher (player whatever)?

Friars are supposed to be priests. What is wrong with a priest who is immorally making a profit and chasing skirts?

Were people surprised he does this? Do people look the other way over his bad behavior? -- There's your "flaw in society"...

Okay. You do the rest.

Dangerous Kitten

4,450 Points
  • Member 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Hygienic 200
I think I would write something about Archetypes and how they were used in Medieval writing to depict a sub-culture. Find a place in the Canterbury Tales where the Friar is used to teach a moral or lesson, and elaborate on how it is done. I was never too good at Medieval stuff, though.
buttload
madatthebullys
was hopping it was math

Agreed, also was hoping it was a math question.

Blessed Prophet

I interpret this as comparing the friar to what he would've represented in medieval times. For example: he would represent corruption because [fill in his traits, give example from the story, yada yada]

I would help you out more, but it's been a long time since I had to do this assignment (I had the same one in high school).
SirPuzzle
buttload
madatthebullys
was hopping it was math

Agreed, also was hoping it was a math question.

lulz, so narrow

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces