Welcome to Gaia! ::

450 Points
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
I've recently had a girl tell me that because I can't tell what country an Asian's heritage is from, I'm ignorant. o.o;; (Like, if I can't tell when someone is Korean vs. Chinese, etc; and mind you, this girl grew up in Asia). And I've heard it on Gaia, as well, and I'm genuinely curious; how on earth does that make one ignorant?

I live in an area where most are white, and then the second most populous race is black, and I rarely see any Asian people at all. And despite this, I'm ignorant because I can't tell when someone is Chinese, Japanese, Korean, or what have you by looking at them? O.o;;

Can the people who state this tell whether a black person's heritage is from by looking at them? Or a white person's? And if they can't, isn't it a bit of a double standard for them to say its ignorant if you can't tell what country an Asian person's ancestry runs through? x.x

No spoons for you. We're eating with our fingers.
mad
I can only see you being considered ignorant if you automatically assume that they're from a certain country. But not being able to tell by looking is absurd - I live in a very multicultural area, have been around many people from Asian countries, and the only way I can tell them apart is if they start speaking in their country's language. o.O

I can't say I've ever heard that before, either.

3,300 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Treasure Hunter 100
Thats a really weird situation to be in because it is considered being ignorant then if you cant tell where ones heritage is from by the color of their skin or their facial features.

450 Points
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
weirdasstigger
Thats a really weird situation to be in because it is considered being ignorant then if you cant tell where ones heritage is from by the color of their skin or their facial features.

So, if you had a picture of me, you could point out exactly what European countries I have heritage from? neutral
I really don't see how its ignorant if you can't tell the exact country someone is from, and I think it'd be terribly rude for me, or anyone, to try and guess.
I honestly don't find that ignorant. I live in a very multicultural town and I still have trouble distinguishing between most Asian races (I'm better at it than a lot of my friends though since I know quite a few people who came from Vietnam and Japan). I think it's polite to ask rather than assume when it comes to that.

Yeah...I don't see how it's ignorant either. It's not like you're looking at every Asian person you see and calling them Chinese. THAT would be ignorant.

Dapper Sex Symbol

3,150 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Conversationalist 100
Its ironic because I know a few asians who can accurately guess another asian's ethnicity, same goes for a white guy I know.

Its not ignorant, whoever said that is just stupid. BUT in a way it can be if you presume and say that they're one ethnic group when they aren't. Like lets say you say "This is my Chinese Brother" when he's actually Viet, yes that would be a way where a person can be ignorant =B

450 Points
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
~[TheMagicBirdy]~
Its ironic because I know a few asians who can accurately guess another asian's ethnicity, same goes for a white guy I know.

Its not ignorant, whoever said that is just stupid. BUT in a way it can be if you presume and say that they're one ethnic group when they aren't. Like lets say you say "This is my Chinese Brother" when he's actually Viet, yes that would be a way where a person can be ignorant =B

Nah, I'd never do that, I don't care much of race, and so I never really see the need in bringing it up unless someone is talking about it. But this struck me as ... stupid that someone would say that I'm ignorant for this. x.x
CAUSE I DON'T LIKE ******** LIKE YOU CALLING ME CHINESE WHEN I'M ******** FILIPINO, DAMMIT! evil

450 Points
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
Wrath of Angel
CAUSE I DON'T LIKE ******** LIKE YOU CALLING ME CHINESE WHEN I'M ******** FILIPINO, DAMMIT! evil

Um...I didn't call anyone Chinese?
The girl called me ignorant because I can't tell what country someone('s family) is from. o.o;; Not because I go around calling everyone Asian person I see Chinese (which I don't).
Mostly when I encounter that it's always someone who's not white.
I'm not even full white myself, but seriously. I can't tell if you're from Greece or Turkey all the time I refuse to feel bad about it.

I don't get mad when people don't know what I'm mixed with, or where I live. It's really not fair to get mad about that ._.
Yeah, I know you didn't, but it really pisses me off when people have to ******** guess. And then they NEVER guess it and I have to tell them. I know that you're ******** Caucasian and that someone is Japanese other than Chinese. Brush up on heritage and look @ photos of different Asian people. Study them, and DON'T EVER FORGET THEM. If you do someone just might get shot. -_-
I honestly still struggle with Asian heritage. Chinese and Japanese, in my opinion, do look very similar. But because I listen to a lot of JRock I'm beginning to learn the differences.

I live in an area where white is the most common - though we're slowly declining... - then Pakistani and Indian, then Black, and then other ethnic minorities.

I'll be moving away soon, hopefully. When I leave college, anyway.

Fashionable Explorer

I can't tell white's and black's heritage well, I can tell middle east and asians xD
Like, I won't be able to tell the difference between a Greek and an Italian (yes.. pretty sad of me) and I'm in the same situation as you, there are like NO whites in my school/area!
I know the certain facial characteristics between chinese and japanese people. but other than that, I suck at it. it's not like you can tell my heritage just by looking at my face. unless you're mistaking them for a nationality that they're not, it really doesn't matter, just keep your mouth shut.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff